• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

Gibberings CCXIV -- it's been 2017 for over a week now and nobody has noticed .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we have spare cash at a holiday my better half likes me to buy her gold jewellery, which sells for spot price here.

When we need cash she cashes it in for current spot price.

Win win.

Wasn't Valentine's day started by Hallmark cards or have i got that wrong?.

Even darker than that, from google: "From Feb. 13 to 15, the Romans celebrated the feast of Lupercalia. ... Emperor Claudius II executed two men — both named Valentine — on Feb. 14 of different years in the 3rd century A.D. Their martyrdom was honored by the Catholic Church with the celebration of St. Valentine's Day."

[Edit: probably none of that actually happened, as apparently there was no historical record of it predating Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, but that is the legend of St. Valentine's day.]

Greetings card companies like Hallmark started mass producing valentines day products around 1913 though, so that is indeed where the modern holiday connotations come from. How a group of business execs sat round a board room and came to a group decision that rebranding St. Valentines Day as national romance day was a totally rad business idea I don't quite know, but clearly it worked well for them...

Last edited:
Thanks OM. I thought it must have predated the Hallmark thing but i had read somewhere they were the ones behind the commercial bonanza that is Valentine's day.

I hate anything that you need to buy a card for. Paying for the pleasure to give someone a piece of cardboard containing some mass printed clichés churned out of a factory about how much they mean to you... fuck off.

I hate anything that you need to buy a card for. Paying for the pleasure to give someone a piece of cardboard containing some mass printed clichés churned out of a factory about how much they mean to you... fuck off.

Cards are only worthwhile if you're sending it to someone far away from you, like a postcard. The whole routine of getting cards on birthdays and Christmas and having to open it and act with an over the top sense of gratitude and appreciation that is clearly inappropriate for the gesture of giving a card makes me cringe. So pointless.

"To ordinary mind,

My special little valentine...

Love from Mum"

Oh gee thanks, made my day.

(I feel I should point out the above exchange never actually happened, just an example.)

Who is buying valentine presents today ? Flowers, chocolates, otters, dwarfs, melons etc?

Not us. I don't buy into that commercial bs. Also, why don't men get showered with gifts, flowers, chocolates and bj's? Nah, you have all year to show the person you love how much they mean to you.

FYI, February 15th is the real holiday when all that tat is reduced. A win for me as Sham loves chocolate and a bargain. SCORE!

If I have to write a card I go overboard and write the most whimsical bullshit PLUR infested prose I can come up with. If you're gonna engage in tedium might as well make it entertaining for everyone involved.

A relative with a hatred of facial hair once bought me a razor for xmas about 3 years in a row. I still haven't gotten the hint.

Nah, you have all year to show the person you love how much they mean to you.

exactamundo

Cards are only worthwhile if you're sending it to someone far away from you, like a postcard. The whole routine of getting cards on birthdays and Christmas and having to open it and act with an over the top sense of gratitude and appreciation that is clearly inappropriate for the gesture of giving a card makes me cringe. So pointless.

"To ordinary mind,

My special little valentine...

Love from Mum"

Oh gee thanks, made my day.

(I feel I should point out the above exchange never actually happened, just an example.)

Haha, bang on.

We don't buy into it either - I find it a bit of a silly notion that I have to wait until this date to 'prove' that I care about you by buying a specific gift. We're the same with Christmas but we still buy a birthday card. we have said for years that this is the last one but we still continue to buy them. It's his birthday next so maybe I'll be the first one to start :D

We don't buy into it either - I find it a bit of a silly notion that I have to wait until this date to 'prove' that I care about you by buying a specific gift. We're the same with Christmas but we still buy a birthday card. we have said for years that this is the last one but we still continue to buy them. It's his birthday next so maybe I'll be the first one to start :D

Don't stop the birthday tradition, make it better. Make a card or something so cheesy he has to laugh because humour is far more attractive than paper

Gave in and am sitting in my doctors waiting room. Doubt there is much she can do but i should be able to get something better than paracetamol and some temazepam. Horrible bug this. Hardly eaten anything in three days.

Love my doctor. 20 x 40mg oxycontin and 20 x 10mg IR oxynorm for my knee which is still killing me (cough cough) and 25 x 10mg Temazepam to help me sleep. Sorted.

Now that is a good score :). Yeah I would suspect your knee to be hurting for a few more months tbh ;).

Lazy day for me today (no surprise there) - were day four into a storm and have a weather warning set for today so I'm not venturing out until later when were off to a spa for some pampering (massage, pedicure) I might treat him to a facial but that's another story :eek:.

I'm supposed to be off the drink for a little while - drank so much the last couple of weeks so could do with a break.

Have a great one everyone

Love my doctor. 20 x 40mg oxycontin and 20 x 10mg IR oxynorm for my knee which is still killing me (cough cough) and 25 x 10mg Temazepam to help me sleep. Sorted.

Jesus, you'd be lucky to even get paracetamol off my doctor. I told you Dr.Ugs was kinder to you didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.