Study Half of AAS Users Fail to Recover Decent Test Levels

CFC

Bluelight Crew
I think I discussed this study - which Ergo-log has just evaluated - last year, but can't find it, so I'm reposting. However it nicely supports the findings of the more recent study demonstrating the difficulty AAS users have in recovering, and the failure of PCT drugs to help.

Probably the easiest overview can be found if you head to Ergo-log's handy article >>here<<. However some of the key findings include the fact that at least half of the men studied failed to recover even what I would call 'modest' natural testosterone levels 3-26 months after ending their cycle.

Given the fact that every bodybuilding site on the internet recommends a PCT, we may assume that many of these men made use of typical drugs such as SERMs and hCG. Which is depressing, since clearly they aren't working.

Even more depressingly, you may also notice that 2 of the men failed to recover normal libido or erectile function despite resorting to testosterone replacement therapy. In other words, the use of supraphysiological doses of AAS for weeks on end may well permanently damage systems responsible for the maintenance of normal sexual function, irrespective of testosterone levels and subsequent cessation of AAS use.

These are serious issues, and I still don't see them being discussed on mainstream bodybuilding forums, despite them habitually recommending frontloading, beginners cycles with upwards of 500mg and/or multiple compounds, the use of deca, and so on.

Anyway, I've reproduced the abstract for you to read below:

Prolonged hypogonadism in males following withdrawal from anabolic–androgenic steroids: an under-recognized problem (2015)

[h=2]Abstract[/h][h=3]

Aims[/h]To assess the frequency and severity of hypogonadal symptoms in male long-term anabolic–androgenic steroid (AAS) misusers who have discontinued AAS use.

[h=3]Participants[/h]Twenty-four male former long-term AAS users and 36 non-AAS-using weightlifters, recruited by advertisement in Massachusetts, USA. Five of the former users were currently receiving treatment with physiological testosterone replacement, leaving 19 untreated users for the numerical comparisons below.

[h=3]Findings[/h]Compared with the 36 non-AAS-using weightlifters, the 19 untreated former AAS users displayed significantly smaller testicular volumes [estimated difference, 95% confidence interval (CI) = 2.3 (0.1, 4.5) ml; P = 0.042] and lower serum testosterone levels [estimated difference: 95% CI = 131 (25, 227) dl; P  = 0.009], with five users showing testosterone levels below 200 ng/dl despite abstinence from AAS for 3–26 months. Untreated former users also displayed significantly lower scores on the IIEF sexual desire subscale [estimated difference: 95% CI = 2.4 (1.3, 3.4) points on a 10-point scale; P < 0.001]. In the overall group of 24 treated plus untreated former users, seven (29%) had experienced major depressive episodes during AAS withdrawal; four of these had not experienced major depressive episodes at any other time. Two men (8%) had failed to regain normal libidinal or erectile function despite adequate replacement testosterone treatment.

[h=3]Conclusions[/h]Among long-term anabolic–androgenic steroid misusers, anabolic–androgenic steroid-withdrawal hypogonadism appears to be common, frequently prolonged and associated with substantial morbidity.

Makes for depressing reading:

In this report, we present our experience with illicit AAS users aged 35–55 years encountered during the course of two ongoing studies, in whom we found that AAS-induced
hypogonadism was common, frequently prolonged and often associated with marked morbidity in the form of decreased or absent libido, impaired erectile function and episodes of major depressive disorder. Our findings suggest that these symptoms may persist for more than a year after the last AAS use, and possibly much longer

The illicit use of AAS has emerged recently as a major form of substance abuse world-wide, with 2.9–4.0 million men in the United States alone estimated to have used
these drugs at some time in their lives. Chronic AAS use suppresses the function of the HPT axis, which may lead to symptoms of hypogonadism following AAS withdrawal. During the last 25 years, several case reports and small case-series have described individuals with AAS-induced hypogonadism, sometimes persisting for more than a year after stopping AAS use.

Combined with emerging evidence of deleterious changes to cardiovascular, renal, hepatic, and pulmonary systems, I might assume harsher legislation to follow in the not too distant future..

I think you're right. Once they start to calculate the additional cost this places on health services and insurance policies, pressure will mount to control them further.

It would be a different story if AAS were used more judiciously, but even most of those who think they're conservative are probably going way over the top.