• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

November Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. It's Fall! Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my first ever take-home today from the methadone clinic. I was pretty excited. Hell few months ago there was talk of me getting kicked off the clinic for smoking pot. Now there is talk of me phasing up if I can somehow get my benzo prescription back.

Long time bluelighter, usually hung out in the Psychedelics thread when I was in college. Then when opiates took over 4 years ago really had no desire to come on here. This placed likely saved my life many times. Glad that there is a sober living thread, good shit. Was just reading in Other Drugs and was reminiscing on the good ol' days.

36 Days clean from IV Fentanyl/Heroin, wooooooooooooooo!

^ that's amazing, CA!! Congratulations on your progress. So impressive.

CJ - congrats on the take home, man! You are doing awesome. Keep up with your taper!

hope everyone has a happy holiday.

- VE

Long time bluelighter, usually hung out in the Psychedelics thread when I was in college. Then when opiates took over 4 years ago really had no desire to come on here. This placed likely saved my life many times. Glad that there is a sober living thread, good shit. Was just reading in Other Drugs and was reminiscing on the good ol' days.

36 Days clean from IV Fentanyl/Heroin, wooooooooooooooo!

congrats on your 36 days clean!

May I join in? Tomorrow's plan is to take my Adderall as directed.

No drinking alcohol and no cigarettes, either. I'm strong on these but I'm undergoing a hard time. There will be a lot of stress for months, maybe longer. I need to monitor my stress. Prolonged stress destabilizes my bipolar disorder. Mania and then drinking.

Actually, the above will be ongoing for my sobriety. Now I won't retype.

^ please join in!

Tomorrow is my day to quit tabacco - it comes at a particularly shitty time for me, but I've been planning this for too long to back out now. I'll be back to complain, no doubt.

Best of luck with your plan, rainy!

- VE

^ please join in!

Tomorrow is my day to quit tabacco - it comes at a particularly shitty time for me, but I've been planning this for too long to back out now. I'll be back to complain, no doubt.

Best of luck with your plan, rainy!

- VE

Thanks! I was shocked but giving up cigarettes wasn't nearly as hard as I expected. You can do it. Here's what worked for me. Nicotine patches and smoke-free environment. Tossed all lighters, ashtrays, cigs away. My boyfriend doesn't smoke so that helped.
No alcohol helped.

Also, I thought about it for a bit. I'd been smoking for a very long time. I didn't want to develop serious problems due to smoking.

And then I thought, "you know, you have smoked cigarettes for so long. The novelty is gone. More smoking will only lead to poor health. It's not worth it." Also, I didn't want the unhealthy skin pallor of a smoker.

That got got it done for me. I'm quit for good.

Hey guys, just to let you know, 11 months since I quit smoking marihuana&tabacco joints. :D

Thanks! I was shocked but giving up cigarettes wasn't nearly as hard as I expected. You can do it. Here's what worked for me. Nicotine patches and smoke-free environment. Tossed all lighters, ashtrays, cigs away. My boyfriend doesn't smoke so that helped.
No alcohol helped.

Also, I thought about it for a bit. I'd been smoking for a very long time. I didn't want to develop serious problems due to smoking.

And then I thought, "you know, you have smoked cigarettes for so long. The novelty is gone. More smoking will only lead to poor health. It's not worth it." Also, I didn't want the unhealthy skin pallor of a smoker.

That got got it done for me. I'm quit for good.

I have been smoking in earnest for about ten years, before that I was a casual smoker for awhile. I feel like it's time for me to quit before doing lasting damage. How long have you been quit?

Its been 15 hours without a cigarette. Halfway through my first day.

- VE

today is turning out to be super hard for some reason--roughest time i've had since my last relapse (exactly 5 weeks clean today). i feel like a chicken with its head cut off; my mind keeps thinking about various drugs...how i could score them, why it would be a good idea, etc. though of course i know it would be a *terrible* idea. just feeling very frustrated and wound up today.

today is turning out to be super hard for some reason--roughest time i've had since my last relapse (exactly 5 weeks clean today). i feel like a chicken with its head cut off; my mind keeps thinking about various drugs...how i could score them, why it would be a good idea, etc. though of course i know it would be a *terrible* idea. just feeling very frustrated and wound up today.

I can really relate to that man. That's probably how I was feeling a month into my recovery. I still felt awful all the time and was thinking about how easy it would be to relapse, etc.

Hang in there <3

^^
Thanks, CH.

Yesterday sucked. I just couldn't get my head on right. Feeling desperate, I went to an NA meeting and left feeling worse than before (though that was on me, not the meeting per se). I drove around aimlessly. Ended up on total auto-pilot and bought a gram of yay. With my hands shaking all over the place, I laid some out, did two lines, and immediately realized that I did NOT want to be fucking up like this, so I dumped the blow (stupid waste of money).

In the end, by night time, I was able to calm down a bit by watching completely vapid TV.

Despite the fuck up with the coke, I'm going to consider my progress still intact, since for me it's all about getting off of opiates. But I'm still pissed at myself and a bit shaken by the whole feeling of being that out of control... it had been a while since I was like that.

Hoping for a better day.

^^
Thanks, CH.

Yesterday sucked. I just couldn't get my head on right. Feeling desperate, I went to an NA meeting and left feeling worse than before (though that was on me, not the meeting per se). I drove around aimlessly. Ended up on total auto-pilot and bought a gram of yay. With my hands shaking all over the place, I laid some out, did two lines, and immediately realized that I did NOT want to be fucking up like this, so I dumped the blow (stupid waste of money).

In the end, by night time, I was able to calm down a bit by watching completely vapid TV.

Despite the fuck up with the coke, I'm going to consider my progress still intact, since for me it's all about getting off of opiates. But I'm still pissed at myself and a bit shaken by the whole feeling of being that out of control... it had been a while since I was like that.

Hoping for a better day.

That's not a disaster. Its really impressive you where able to dump the coke once you started using most people would have said fuck it and done it all. What did you learn from this little slip? Like what part of your relapse prevention plan failed you?

That's not a disaster. Its really impressive you where able to dump the coke once you started using most people would have said fuck it and done it all. What did you learn from this little slip? Like what part of your relapse prevention plan failed you?

thanks, cj. good question--what went wrong? it had definitely been building up for days, if not even a week or so. so i should have tried to address it sooner.

i think the biggest thing i botched was failing to redirect my thinking away from thoughts of drug use. when i was feeling stronger a few weeks ago, whenever bad feelings crept up, i was diligent about distracting myself in a major way...like *really* getting my thoughts out of that headspace. i could feel, over the last couple days, however, a lot of drug lust swelling up, and i made cursory efforts at best to neuter them. so i think the lesson i should take away from this is that, i gotta shut that shit DOWN! (i'm picturing Nagan from The Walking Dead saying that ;)).

i gotta say also that i'm not sure going to NA meetings when i'm jonesing is a good idea. as some of you know, i have pretty sketchy feelings about NA in general. i had only started going to meetings again in the last few days, when i was feeling iffy. i felt very lonely in my current state of addiction/recovery, and wanted to sit in a room with some other fucked up people. but i really do think that when i'm vulnerable, meetings can be counterproductive... just reminds me of how close the drugs are, despite all my work distancing myself from them. i have really mixed feelings about the whole issue.

all in all, yesterday blew. but i will say i'm SO glad i didn't go fully haywire and score heroin. obviously that's where my brain wanted me to go. and yes, it was surprisingly easy to toss the coke, so at least the slip-up wasn't huge...didn't even feel anything from the blow except a little edginess. sigh.

thanks, cj. good question--what went wrong? it had definitely been building up for days, if not even a week or so. so i should have tried to address it sooner.

i think the biggest thing i botched was failing to redirect my thinking away from thoughts of drug use. when i was feeling stronger a few weeks ago, whenever bad feelings crept up, i was diligent about distracting myself in a major way...like *really* getting my thoughts out of that headspace. i could feel, over the last couple days, however, a lot of drug lust swelling up, and i made cursory efforts at best to neuter them. so i think the lesson i should take away from this is that, i gotta shut that shit DOWN! (i'm picturing Nagan from The Walking Dead saying that ;)).

i gotta say also that i'm not sure going to NA meetings when i'm jonesing is a good idea. as some of you know, i have pretty sketchy feelings about NA in general. i had only started going to meetings again in the last few days, when i was feeling iffy. i felt very lonely in my current state of addiction/recovery, and wanted to sit in a room with some other fucked up people. but i really do think that when i'm vulnerable, meetings can be counterproductive... just reminds me of how close the drugs are, despite all my work distancing myself from them. i have really mixed feelings about the whole issue.

all in all, yesterday blew. but i will say i'm SO glad i didn't go fully haywire and score heroin. obviously that's where my brain wanted me to go. and yes, it was surprisingly easy to toss the coke, so at least the slip-up wasn't huge...didn't even feel anything from the blow except a little edginess. sigh.
Makes sense to me. Meetings aren't for everyone or every time. If you had a sponsor that would have been a good time to call him. While you where feigning that is.

Makes sense to me. Meetings aren't for everyone or every time. If you had a sponsor that would have been a good time to call him. While you where feigning that is.

I can really see how getting a sponsor could be a huge help. Really does seem like one of the best things the 12-step fellowships have going for them. Unfortunately, I haven't found a guy I feel comfortable with. A couple years ago (when I was really working the NA program) I let someone foist a sponsor on me and that turned into a disaster. Since then I've been pretty gun shy. Maybe I should look more carefully. Even as things were going down yesterday I was thinking how I wished there was someone I could call and lean on.

Status
Not open for further replies.