• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Phenibut - 10 Years Experience - A Comprehensive Long-Term Synopsis and Usage Guide

I have tried Phenibut twice (well, many times from two different sources, I should say). The first source was off Amazon (I do not think that violates out sourcing rules). 500mg capsules, if i recall. No effects whatsoever. Even at high doses. The second source was off a site that sold bodybuilding supplements. A decent amount of crystalline powder in a spansule with a tiny scoop. Mild calming effects, I would say slightly more than placebo.

I do have a good amount of experience with Gabapentin (related to Phenibut?), which has been a miracle drug for opiate withdrawals, and causes overall pleasant effects any time. I took 1600mg this morning along with a ++ of mescaline. It is a nice combination.

I think I am going to order some more Phenibut to experiment with.

Xorkoth, you inspired me to try phenibut again with this thread.

I've had a tub of this stuff for years. I remember taking about a gram the first time and not enjoying it much - it just made me feel groggy/yucky.

I've have been tapering my usage of Tianeptine lately which has sparked my interest in using phenibut to mitigate some of the withdrawals once I jump completely off.

In preparation for my jump, I have been experimenting with phenibut doses. Mostly I just wanted to find a good dose to help me sleep the first night or two after stopping Tianeptine.

I first tried 250mg. Didn't feel much. Slept a little better but figured it wouldn't help much against actual withdrawal insomnia.

Tried 500mg and 750mg on separate occasions. Didn't notice much more of an effect than what I got at 250mg. I did not like the way I felt during the first few hours either, I felt sedated in a groggy yucky way. Decided to shelf the phenibut and only use it in an extreme case of insomnia.

I knew from reading elsewhere that phenibut offers some people "magical" effects at higher doses. I figured I must not be one of those people.

After reading this thread I got inspired to try higher doses. Two weeks ago I took 1.2g after waking up one day. I felt a slight sedation the first few hours, then I felt just on the edge of feeling something nice, but it never actually developed into anything.

Today I tried 1.6 grams. Three hours later a warm strange sensation washed over me. I felt euphoric and giddy. It's been about 5 hours now and I'm still feeling good. This is amazing. I've had this stuff for years and never liked it. I am happy to have rediscovered it, thanks to this thread.

A question: 1.6g seems to be a good dose for me. I won't use this stuff more than once or twice a month. Since 1.6g gives good effects, will 1.8 or even 2.0 be even better? Does the good effects increase with dosage? I understand it can get overwhelming and nasty if dosed too high, that isn't what I'm asking about. I guess my question is this: Is there any reason to try a higher dose now that I've found one that works for me?

I'd say try raising it to 1.8 next time, and then if it feels good, to 2 grams. Don't raise too much at once, but the effects do increase to a certain point. It's worth trying, to discover your optimal dose.

Glad you found this useful. :)

Phenibut Hiatus

Xorkoth
Actually, I did stop about 3 weeks ago well actually 25 days ago after stumbling across Bluelight (great community, by the way, wish I had found you earlier.) and reading the threads concerning phenibut. I decided not to do a taper to assess how bad the wds would be for me thinking I could always dose if the need arose. It was no worse than Monday morning after a weekend of drinking back in college. Other than the sleep disruption which was bad. On night 2 I did take an Ambien as I had an early morning meeting the following day and could not afford to be less than 100 percent. I have read the wd's some people have had here, my heart goes out to them. for whatever reason, it did not affect me in that way. I will report back with any changes.

^ I was about to ask the same question. Have you gone so much as one day without Phenibut? Two?

I agree when you say we must each be responsible for our own usage and what helps us stay healthy and productive, but I think we also need to be honest with ourselves about the sustainability of our lifestyle choices, especially when faced with the prospect of going without the substances in question. Not just the physiological effects, which are (very) important to keep in mind, but the excuses we make to ourselves and the responsibility we are or aren't taking with our lifestyle choices.

vacuole
Actually, I did stop about 3 weeks ago well actually 25 days ago after stumbling across Bluelight (great community, by the way, wish I had found you earlier.) and reading the threads concerning phenibut. I decided not to do a taper to assess how bad the wds would be for me thinking I could always dose if the need arose. It was no worse than Monday morning after a weekend of drinking back in college. Other than the sleep disruption which was bad. On night 2 I did take an Ambien as I had an early morning meeting the following day and could not afford to be less than 100 percent.
I have read the wd's some people have had here, my heart goes out to them. for whatever reason, it did not affect me in that way. I will report back with any changes.

Yeah I don't get much for withdrawals either, more than you, but it's just anxiety for me. I have read about some people experiencing GHB-like withdrawal, very severe and dangerous. Not sure why it would be different for some.

Yeah I don't get much for withdrawals either, more than you, but it's just anxiety for me. I have read about some people experiencing GHB-like withdrawal, very severe and dangerous. Not sure why it would be different for some.

All of our Biochemical make up, while very similar, is different enough to make life interesting that is certain. Also, Phenibut is a substance well know for individuals wide-ranging responses.

Last edited:
Great post, Xorkoth!

Have your ever tried it with microdosing lysergamides (10-20 mcg)? Best combo ever.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Great post, Xorkoth!

Have your ever tried it with microdosing lysergamides (10-20 mcg)? Best combo ever.

JustRun

Thanks for the heads-up. No, I was not aware of lysergamides until you mentioned it now, I will do my research and explore it as an option. I have just discovered Noopept and it seems to be the best cognitive enhancers I have found thus far. I have been using it stand alone 100mg x2 or 3 daily sublingually, It is fantastic I stay focused and my attention to detail is beyond belief, without becoming hung up on the minutia. I am reading a couple of whitepapers concern the benefits of stacking the two. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks, Everyone!

Thanks for posting this Xorkoth, this is very interesting, I do like Phenibut and have been using it for a year or so, on and off (not every day, just a few days here and there :)).

I notice that a lot of people find Phenibut a very pro-social substance. For me however, as much as I do like Phenibut, and I do find it anxiolytic it is not particularly pro-social. In fact in some ways it can be a little anti-social because it makes me too content to just chill without much inclination to do anything else. It is worth noting probably that I am naturally a little anti-social, but as I am usually quite aware of this tendency I make a conscious effort to push myself to engage in social interactions. Phenibut to some extent removes this desire... in fact although this is not always the case, I have on a few occasions felt that, paradoxically, Phenibut is actually a little anxiogenic because while it makes me very content to keep doing familiar things, with familiar people, it can sometimes actually give me an aversion to seeking out new and less familiar experiences.

All that said, in the event that I am thrust into such a new experience anyway, or manage to overcome the Phenibutic blissful lethargy, I am undoutedly more relaxed than usual, BUT socially, again, I sometimes find I am a little TOO relaxed and just not too inclined to either engage or make too much of an effort... this could be a dosage issue of course.

As far as dosage goes, I usually dose around 1500-2200mg, once per day. My experience with the effects is a little different also, I find...
0 - 1 hour: Nothing
1 - 3 or 4 hours: Mild but noticeable relaxation, anxiolysis
3 or 4 - 12 or so hours: The good effects
While I do get the first 2 parts, the last part is typically a gradual fade. In fact I even get something of an immediate comedown at around the 7-8 hour mark, where again, I suddenly feel markedly less social and pretty tired and uninterested in whatever is going on, even a little irritable. I can't be sure if this is simply a return to baseline (I am, perhaps a little more anxious than average anyway) or exacerbated by the palpable contrast between feeling more relaxed previously, but regardess, I have experienced it enough times to know it feels like a comedown. I can sometimes ignore the "down" type feelings, and I definitely still sleep better afterwards, but the "good effects" for me are the first 6 hours or so.

Perhaps I am expecting too much from the substance though. I am, I have thought in the past, a little prone to feeling any drug begin to wear off. Perhaps this is a symptom of not properly relaxing into the experience, but I like to be able to look inside myself and still FEEL an effect, and so when I notice this lessening I think it prompts an anxiety response of some kind.

Strangely I find Aniracetam highly pro-social in a way that Phenibut isn't but the duration of Aniracetam is short enough to be mostly useless. This is another issue I have with a lot of drugs that can be used while going about daily life... in a standard recreational setting, redosing occasionally is not an issue, but while going about the world it is inconvenient to have to redose too often. This is one of the reasons I like modafinil I think, it lasts literally all day.

Anyway coming back to Phenibut, I don't know if anyone has seen this yet but over on another forum someone posted a translation of the original Russian literature and dosage information. There is some interesting stuff there, including the fact that it is prescribed to children in Russia on occasion. I don't know what the clinical trial and approval process is like in Russia but Phenibut appears to be potentially, a fairly versatile medicine. The dosage information is also of interest:

DIRECTIONS FOR USE

To be taken by mouth, after a meal.
Adults are prescribed 250-500 mg 3 times a day. If the treatment necessitates a higher dose it can be increased to a maximum of 2500 mg (a day).
Children under 3 years of age are prescribed 50-100 mg, 3 times daily. Children between ages of 8 and 14 are prescribed 250 mg, 3 times daily.
Maximal single dose (!)
Adults – 750 mg, elderly patients (60 y.o. or older), - 500 mg, children under 8 – 150 mg, children 8-14 y.o. – 250 mg.

For management of alcohol abstinence symptoms, in the first days of treatment the dose should be 250-500 mg 3 times during the day, with additional 750 mg before bed. The dose must however be gradually lowered to maximum adult daily amount during the course of treatment.

For management of Meniere’s disease:
During flare ups: 750 mg 3-4 times every 24 hours. To be continued for a period of 5-7 days. As vestibular disturbance symptoms begin to subside, - 250-500 mg every 24 hours during the course of 5-7 days and finally tapered to 250 mg once every 24 hours, and administered for another 7-10 days.

Treatment of dizziness caused by dysfunction of vestibular analyzer of vascular or trauma related origin, - 250 mg 3 times every 24 hours. Continue taking over the course of 12 days

For prophylaxis of motion sickness: 250-500 mg, to be taken once, 1 hour before the planned trip. (Effectiveness is dose-dependent).
It would seem from this that Phenibut is really intended to be dosed multiple times per day. Based on this information, today I dosed 750mg x2 per day. I noticed I did not get such an intense feeling of wellbeing as with higher dosages, BUT I could still feel around the 8 hour mark that I needed to redose because I could feel the comedown setting in. I think I will try playing with the dosing a little more, I believe it is a possibility that it is more sustainable with doses closer to the actual prescription dosages.

Also, one minor note of caution for heavier users:
OVERDOSE

Symptoms: pronounced lethargy, nausea, vomiting, fatty dystrophy of liver (when taken in excess of 7 grams), eosinophilia, low arterial blood pressure, kidney dysfunction.

Treatment: Gastric lavage, activated charcoal, symptomatic treatment.

Thanks for the additional info from the Russian medical source, that's really interesting. I can confirm that it feels hard on my organs when I have taken too much.

Interesting that you get some different effects, I have read of others who experience it differently too. For me it's more pro-social than amphetamine, on the higher end of the full dose range I find myself almost uncontrollably talking to people, it feels amazing to converse. It sounds like you don't get the stimulating effects from it at all, to me that's the heart of phenibut, if it was just relaxing I doubt I'd use it much. It almost feels like a dopamine rebound or something, I don't remember if I speculated on that in the report or not but it's a guess of mine. GHB is known to produce a dopamine rebound, in fact it was why it was marketed to bodybuilders, the idea was to take it before bed, sleep well, and when you wake up you're surging with dopamine and ready to work out. I wonder if a similar thing is happening with phenibut, and maybe it doesn't happen for some people?

But yeah, rather than making me feel lethargic or sedated, I find phenibut to be extremely motivating. It makes it easier to do everything and I have a lot of inspiration in the things I'm doing. Everything feels pretty effortless compared to normal.

I think you are right, I don't get the dopamine rush... From your description there is definitely an element of the experience lacking for me.

I mean don't get me wrong, it is a nice lethargy and sedation, better than alcohol for example. I have had good results combining Phenibut with dopaminergic compounds also (Tianeptine, Phenylpiracetam, Armodafinil) but even then I still get the suddenly perceptible onset of the fade where, apparently, yourself and others feel some of the sedation subsiding and the dopamine kicking in.

It may be relevant that I take 1mg L-Deprenyl daily, this is a preventative treatment for a medical condition I have so I am going to continue doing this, but I do cycle it occasionally so maybe I will try dosing when I am not taking it. From my understanding this should increase my serum dopamine rather than decrease it but perhaps there is some unexpected interaction going on... I feel like I probably have dosed already while not-taking L-Deprenyl without any significant difference in the course of the effects and simply forgotten, but I wasn't specifically looking for anything so I can't be totally sure.

I can't think of any other reason my dopamine system would be operating differently, I haven't ever abused any dopaminergics. I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has a similar experience to myself.

Xor bro never would have taken you for a Phenibut user. Wow. Going to have to read this later this is too much to handle at present.

Dude, Phenibut was the most intense chemical I ever put into my body and I have taken copious amounts of psychedelics that would have mentally ruined most people.

I was not a responsible user and at one point actually thought I had been transported to some alternate dimension, living on an alien planet called Phenibut.

I shit you not. Will elaborate later. I was living amidst a horde of Phenibut addicts in a house once upon a time.......

I was not a responsible user and at one point actually thought I had been transported to some alternate dimension, living on an alien planet called Phenibut.

I shit you not. Will elaborate later. I was living amidst a horde of Phenibut addicts in a house once upon a time.......

Personally, I can not wait until the first installment of "Phenibut Planet" Post it soon!

"Stacking" Phenibut, L-theanine , Oleamide, and Noopept?

People
I am sorry if this is placed incorrectly. Has anyone else "stacked" Phenibut, L-theanine , Oleamide, and Noopept? If so would you mind sharing your results Thanks

Thank you for this Xorkoth, fantastic content.
My questions is, I am currently taking gabapentin 600 mg 4 times a day, and it's starting to get a tad expensive without having insurance.
Do you suggest switching to phenibut? If so, what mg dose would you suggest?
Thank you!

It seems like it would probably fulfill a similar purpose, but it also depends on what it's prescribed for. I'm not sure if phenibut will fulfill all the same functions as gabapentin. It will certainly accomplish the mood altering and anxiolytic effects of gabapentin. As for dose, I'd just follow the guidelines in this report. Work up to find your dose, there may be some cross-tolerance but I'm not sure if there is.

Thank you for typing this out, Xorkoth. I haven't logged into my account in years, but I've lurked a lot of the phenibut threads, and I'm always interested in reading your experiences with this weird and wondrous substance.

Personally, I've combined it with most substances, and the only things I can think to add to your already comprehensive guide are its synergy with opiates. I worried it may carry the same dangers benzo/alcohol combinations have with opiates; however, as far as I can tell, phenibut does not produce CNS depression. It does however add quite a punch to any full opiate agonist. I don't usually nod on any opiates, but accompanied with an already irresponsible phenibut dosage I was looking bad, but feeling prettty great.

Recently, I used phenibut and kratom during an LSD trip in the woods by myself to great result. All of the anxiety I experience on a come-up was nowhere to be seen, and my mood was balanced and my thoughts controlled yet exploratory throughout. I experience ugly comedowns occasionally, so I loaded a few grams of gabapentin at hour six of the trip and experienced some of the most profound and actively fun euphoria in my life. Unfortunately, I can't attribute that all to the phenibut, but it was almost certainly all gabba b action.

Anyway, glad to log back in to pay some respects and express my gratitude :)