• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How does inpatient heroin detox compare to CT.

ElroyH

Greenlighter
Hi guys, for the last 10+ years i have been in this cycle where i'm addicted to heroin for a few years then i get on a replacement, once subutex and once methadone but then as i taper i am fine until it gets to a pretty low level then when i start feeling shitty i use again. I have tried cold turkey at home and i'm kinda ashamed to admit i just can't do it. I have the offer now of somebody paying / lending me the cash to go do a detox. I have been told various things by people some say it's not even that painful and you will just be out of it for a week but other people say the piper still has to be paid. Just how comfortable can a detox be with the correct meds and is it doable? At the minute i'm spending about <snip> a week on H. Also i'm interested in knowing if you or anyone you know has managed to kick heroin and get off all replacements as i don't know a single person which does not fill me with hope. Feeling pretty damn low at the minute and sick and tired of this never ending merry go round. PS for the last 18+ months i have just been using H and nothing else.

Thnx

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I did detox from heroin was in 2013. I tapered down from about a gram a day habit all the way down to a few bags a day (bag = about 0.1 g) but couldn't/didn't want to suffer. I'd make it about 24-48 hours and knowing for me day 3 was worst I'd give up. (I had kicked previously cold turkey; all but one was locked up)

Anyway for me detox was so much easier. I was on phenobarbital which literally knocked me out. I slept in a sort of delirious haze, I'd wake up to go to the bathroom or change cause I was soaking wet from sweat which then got cold and would have me freezing, but within 5 minutes I was out again. For about 3 days I just slept/was knocked out. I had to tell someone to make sure I was up for food after the first 2 days (yep I even could eat)

It was a detox that used subutex after you were on grounds 12 hours, but I was given the phenobarbital within the first few hours and I never woke up to go get the sub lol. I figured why even mess with it when I'm knocked out and for the most part unaware. I figured this way I wouldn't have to deal with the sub comedown however slight as they only give it for 4-5 days. I really don't like subs much anyway; I always preferred methadone

Anyway I went in on a Monday; by Saturday I felt about 80 percent--not sick at all just a little weak. Took about a week to feel up to full strength, but I did play some baseball that Saturday lol.

For me, detox made getting off the heroin much easier.

Now, I've detoxes cold turkey off of both heroin and methadone. I've also tapered methadone.

If you can go to a detox, go. Why suffer if you don't have to.

And, for the record, after getting off methadone last time I stayed clean--completely clean--for almost 9 years. I relapsed in 2011, had an up and down 2 years, detoxed and stayed clean 6 months, relapsed and got back into a methadone clinic. Currently doing slow taper, down to 40 currently (from 95), and haven't used anything other than the methadone since 2014. (Really 2013 but there was a 6 week period I couldn't dose in morning and had to supplement...) but you get my point. It can be done, and it's not even a struggle anymore for me. And I was the completely out-there addict, not functional. If I can get off and stay off, anyone can. I went from a fairly successful university student to staying in a cheap rooming house with needle caps all over the bathroom to homeless to a convicted felon doing time upstate. Now I'm what you'd call respectable, work full time, have an apartment and car, most other creature comforts, etc. and most of all--peace of mind and contentment.

Good luck to you. If you want off, use any help available. Like I said--why suffer needlessly?

I've done medically supervised detox a few times. they usually give you meds like clonidine, flexeril , trazodone for sleep, and usually a benzo like librium or ativan. I was comfortable when i was there, i do remember that. the only bad thing was that when i got out, i was still in w/d

WDs are no big deal if u have a handful of benZos. You won't even care you are ill. oh, and weed and seroquel ;)

You're going to be facing much of the same struggle emerging from an impatient detox as you would going cold turkey. I think you could put together a more concise regime of medications gotten from a dr and detox at home more comfortably than most of the rehabs I've been to. Aside from the several subpar detox treatments experienced, I, along with everyone else I know who's gone impatient, returned to normal life with the same unhealthy coping mechanisms, which basically equates to the rinse repeat cycle.

U can get thru anything with benzos. Could even sleep thru the wds by inducing a coma. Lol! Benzo wds are another kind of hell tho

It depends on the facility and their policies. Make sure you know what they offer before admitting yourself, or at least make sure you have a way out.

I've had two bad experiences with inpatients. Once I was real, real deep in heroin addiction. I waited the full 24 hours thinking I would be getting a handful of different drugs the first morning I was there, but all they did was offer 2mg suboxone. When I am really dopesick I can't take subs, the taste makes me vomit. And I did, all over the floor of my room. They didn't seem to know what to do at this point, and gave me 300mg neurontin. I tried to hold out but I ended up bailing later that day. The second time they were sort of evasive about their opiate detox protocol, but I was desperate and needed to isolate myself somewhere. Come to find out they only gave out clonidine, what a joke.

Do your homework.

There's a pretty well-known and established Mental Hospital/Drug Detoxification place here in southern Vermont known as the Brattleboro Retreat. I've been a couple of time for short detox's, but this has been my only experience thus far.

You'll get the standard panacea here. Clonidine 2x-3x a day, Gabapentin 2x-3x a day, Trazodone etc. but the only drug, in my opinion, that is of real significant value is going to be the Buprenorphine. You always want to go to a detox that offers you an Opioid substitute either short or long-term. It makes the experience so much more bearable. The rest of the medications are pretty much secondary to the Bupe.

Also, they don't give Benzodiazepines or Barbiturates of any kind for Opioid withdrawal, only for Alcohol withdrawal. They will score you for Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) based upon how you look, your blood pressure and your pulse, but you can fake it if you're dedicated.

I don't have access to most meds although i can get hold of zopiclone. I really don't want anything like bupe or methadone but i would appreciate being monged out by benzos but im not sure if they are available in the detox (yet). I did speak to them earlier on the phone and they do use a drug called Lofexidine which i'm going to research now but i would really need some sort of meds to make me sleep at the very least as i find that the hardest part. They also said when i explained the amount i was on it was likely to be 21 days rather than 14 but that will be worked out when i go for a pre admission chat.

I live in England but i have a friend who recently moved to Canada and i think i have a very good chance of the same employment so i'm seriously considering doing the detox and then applying. I think a change of scenery would be a big help in staying off heroin after i go through all this. I feel this really is my last chance and if i fail this time my family will wipe their hands of me.

Thanks for all the replies i will be doing much more research although i'm leaning towards going for it.

Cheers.

PS Im sure i could walk out at any time but id be wasting a hell of a lot of cash and think it would be the final straw so not an option.

Hi guys, for the last 10+ years i have been in this cycle where i'm addicted to heroin for a few years then i get on a replacement, once subutex and once methadone but then as i taper i am fine until it gets to a pretty low level then when i start feeling shitty i use again. I have tried cold turkey at home and i'm kinda ashamed to admit i just can't do it. I have the offer now of somebody paying / lending me the cash to go do a detox. I have been told various things by people some say it's not even that painful and you will just be out of it for a week but other people say the piper still has to be paid. Just how comfortable can a detox be with the correct meds and is it doable? At the minute i'm spending about <snip> a week on H. Also i'm interested in knowing if you or anyone you know has managed to kick heroin and get off all replacements as i don't know a single person which does not fill me with hope. Feeling pretty damn low at the minute and sick and tired of this never ending merry go round. PS for the last 18+ months i have just been using H and nothing else.

Thnx

Do you have a specific detox in mind or the actual place open? Are you able to travel to it or does it have to be local? When they offered detox is it just detox or can you check into a longer treatment program, and is that something you would be interested in?

Regarding knowing people who actually get off maintenance, yes, some people are able to but from my experience it is difficult and takes dedication. I have seen many people get close to stopping and then they relapse. I think a lot of it depends on where the person is mentally and where they are at with their addiction.

In my opinion, if you're going to do maintenance make absolutely certain to address the underlying reasons motivating you to use before you get to the low doses and/or jump off point. Also make certain you have a valid support system and relapse prevention plans in place. I think a lot of people relapse hard when trying to stop maintenance because they are not as solid in recovery as they think they are, and they've left a lot of loose ends unresolved. I'm not saying that in a judging way, just from experience with my own addiction and having to confront life totally sober til the end of days. There is a lot of stress and a lot of moods still in play early on when going 100% substance free. It's tough but not impossible:

Its not worth the money imo. Better to go to a natural hot water spring or something. Your gonna have to deal with your home life sober anyway. The week of withdrawal isnt the hard part. I should know I've done it a thousand times. Its staying clean. So unless you think this place gonna help you stay sober, fak it.

Cheers Guys, just a quick update.

Went to the Detox on 16th January for 2 weeks, was pretty brutal to be honest only med that helped at all they gave me was that lofexidine but that took a few days to build up to a dose that helped. Couldn't eat for about 10 days, woke up at 4am on the second day shitting and puking up but when i managed to hold down the anti sickness meds and immodium was fine on those fronts.

Was just walking around the detox place most nights like a zombie as sleep was impossible. I'm so glad i went though being so far away from home at my most ill / weak was a massive help, i'm sure i would have caved at home.

Anyways got out on the 30th January and have just over a month clean now (33 days), had one week back at work which went well although hard as sleep still evasive and feel lethargic all the time but i am eating well now but don't wanna put back on the 15kg i lost in the 2 week detox so joining a gym next week.

Know it's early days but going to a Smart Recovery group and deep down i honestly believe i cracked it this time, just feels the right time for me.

thats whats up ElroyH!! just keep that tape in the back of your mind of what you felt like before you went to detox, never forget that shit man! don't forget that pain! and when you do think about getting high just 'replay that tape'!

there will be times where you will feel squirmy, and will want to use. I suggest you look into an NA program in your area, just so you can get some phone numbers of people with consistent years of recovery, people you can call whenever you feel like using again.

:)

Cheers D's, yeah that's what I'm doing mate, to be honest I crave it quite a lot but I'm adamant I'm not using again and so having no trouble ignoring them. Thinking about getting a tattoo to remind me as time goes on just what I went through and how I was before detox. Got so much planned for this year and I'm not fucking it up! Lol

Good to hear man. I don't know if you have a doctor or insurance money ect but a non addicting sleep aid could be a real good thing for you. Its the lingering symptoms that make for cravings and relapses. I uses low dose Seroquel but that has its pros and cons. Some people can get away with Benadryl or Nyquil. Others swear by trazadone we all different but getting some damn sleep is important to your recovery.

There's a pretty well-known and established Mental Hospital/Drug Detoxification place here in southern Vermont known as the Brattleboro Retreat. I've been a couple of time for short detox's, but this has been my only experience thus far.

You'll get the standard panacea here. Clonidine 2x-3x a day, Gabapentin 2x-3x a day, Trazodone etc. but the only drug, in my opinion, that is of real significant value is going to be the Buprenorphine. You always want to go to a detox that offers you an Opioid substitute either short or long-term. It makes the experience so much more bearable. The rest of the medications are pretty much secondary to the Bupe.

Also, they don't give Benzodiazepines or Barbiturates of any kind for Opioid withdrawal, only for Alcohol withdrawal. They will score you for Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) based upon how you look, your blood pressure and your pulse, but you can fake it if you're dedicated.

When I went into detox for heroin withdrawals years back they gave me Ativan..I slept through most of the wds for 4-5 days

I've done medically supervised detox a few times. they usually give you meds like clonidine, flexeril , trazodone for sleep, and usually a benzo like librium or ativan. I was comfortable when i was there, i do remember that. the only bad thing was that when i got out, i was still in w/d

I was given same things while in detox, I was comfortable while in the hospital so I went home on day 5-6..I got home and I honestly felt like shit without the benzos..I was restless, couldn't sleep well at all and I just felt like shit overall..i feLy so bad I couldn't really work or function so I relapsed a day later..it's this reason why these short detoxes are not very effective..I do not recommend going cold turkey so detox is better but I know no one that went to detox, go out and stayed clean without massive lifestyle changes ..the idea that you can just go into detox for 5 days, get out and just stay clean without other big changes in other areas of your life, then you are doomed to fail..

Generally speaking I'd rather kick on my own. The few inpatient detoxes I've experienced have not been nearly as comfortable as doing so at home, where I can make sure I get the right medications together and have all the creature comforts I'm used to - and don't have to deal with a number of other people also concurrently going through withdrawal.

If I can't get the right meds together or am really desperate, an inpatient detox is generally more comfortable than cold turkey. It all depends on the specific of how it is done, however. It is still not uncommon to see inpatient "detoxes" that are really just places where you can go on what is essentially nothing but a supervised cold turkey kick.