• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

BEST Websites to Self-Educate Psycho-Pharmacology??

I'd love too!!

But uni is expensive.
Plus - I can bang out a couple hours study myself each day, but not quite at the level of cognitive functioning to take on a full time program just yet.
Though - I do live in hope, I'm working towards it, and feel confident I can make it happen.

I actually did contact a uni about neuropharm as a post grad.
There's a masters program available, but upon further inquiry, a lot of feedback mentioned that, without a pharmacology undergrad, employment may be sparse - unless I did a PhD.

I would not be opposed to the idea.
I'm enjoying the more technical aspect to Nestlers book so much that, hey - the more the better.

But.... I don't know. I guess, I'll keep researching and see what happens.

If I got offered to do a PhD at the University of Amsterdam - I would jump on it like a pisshead on a curry.
I lived in Amsterdam for years, but had to leave and go home when I got really sick.
I would love to return there.

Stahl has an updated version of his Prescribers Guide called, Anti-depressant adapted version, but it's not available on library genesis.

Someone was saying there is another outlet online where his materials were available for free download.

Can anyone direct me to that outlet??

I don't think there's really any substitute for reading primary literature. Just read, read and read, and google every single acronym or term you don't understand. Textbooks are great for basic chemistry, but I never got much out of any kind of biology class, and started understanding things way more when I dived into the literature.

I actually just started "Pharmacology" by "Rang" there recently - and it's been great and really thoroughly explaining a things that the specific neuropharm books might gloss over a little - I'm sure because, there's probably an expectation to have an pharmacology understanding before starting neuropharm.

In many ways it's actually more detailed than the couple neuropharm texts I've touched on.

I'd still love to get access to that "Antidepressant adapted version" of Stahls prescriber's guide though.

Rang and Dales Pharmacology - I find it waaaay more in depth and basically, comprehensive - but it's a slow read.

To become proficient regarding an understanding of neuropharm, is it necessary to have a good base pharmacology understanding?

Or could I just stick with books like Nestlers Neuropharmacology, and be fairly okay?

Going through the former book could literally take me at least a year.

To become proficient regarding an understanding of neuropharm, is it necessary to have a good base pharmacology understanding?

I think there are some core concepts which you need. Having a really solid understanding of how GPCR's actually function (it's often taught wrong), ion channels, etc. can take you a long way. In addition to that, I think running through a few chapters on pharmacokinetics is incredibly helpful.

psychopharmacopeia.com

http://psychopharmacopeia.com has pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic information on about 90 psychiatric drugs, and the database continues to grow. It also contains general prescribing information, indications, side effects i.e. typical prescriber information. The site also has some cool dose conversion calculators for benzos, stimulants and neuroleptics.
cellphone.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking for a text book, specifically on transduction cascades, and genetic expression.

I'm a blank slate on genetics.

Any good entry level books on genetics?

Can anyone comment on - library genesis - is that the primary website for downloading academic material?

I'm looking for study notes on a test called GAMSAT.

There's a couple pdf's on library genesis, but nothing too in depth.

Any suggestions for other download possibilities??

PM me if needs be.

Just FYI - I started looking a book called, "Foye's Principles of Medicinal Chemistry".

It seems to outline in far more precise details, exact molecular mechanisms occurring behind drug action - paints a far clearly picture than the pharmacology manuals I've looked at, that have been mentioned.

Just FYI - I started looking a book called, "Foye's Principles of Medicinal Chemistry".

It seems to outline in far more precise details, exact molecular mechanisms occurring behind drug action - paints a far clearly picture than the pharmacology manuals I've looked at, that have been mentioned.

It is pretty good indeed, very easy to read and well-structured, available for download in pdf easily.
Thank you, JohnBoy2000! :)

Do you guys know if there is a simple software that will allow me to calculate binding affinities for random molecules?
Maybe just point me to something as I coudnt find anything available for free...

I don't think such a thing exists that will do accurate binding, that's why people do in vitro tests.

If you have the structure of the protein then maybe CHARMM?

I don't think such a thing exists that will do accurate binding, that's why people do in vitro tests.

If you have the structure of the protein then maybe CHARMM?
Appreciate the answer, sekio! I'll check it out!

I understand that affinities calculated would be very approximate but I want to learn more on what makes a certain molecule to bind to specific places. For example indole-based synthetic cannabinoids, what would happen with them if you try to include a tryptamine structure in them, like in this one I was thinking about today -
211.jpg

Short answer: There is a good chance that a tryptamine-type JEH compound would retain activity.

Long answer: The SAR of "JWH-type compounds" (is there a better catch-all, e.g. "compounds of the N-alkyl-3-acyl-heteroaryl family?") usually allows quite a bit of "fast and loose" playing-about, everything from transmogrification of the indole to indazole, pyrrole, indene, napthaliene, quinoline and so on and so forth, the "top" acyl chain can certainly be phenylacetyl or substituted phenylacetyl as in JWH-167, 203, 249, 250, 251, 302 etc., nitrogens can appear either basic or non-basic (amides), chain/ring halogenation, alkylation, nitration, methoxylation all OK too... even the N-alkyl can vary from stuff like ethyl, propyl, benzyl all the way to octyl, and again cyclization (N-cyclohexylmethyl is ok) fluorination (N-5-fluoropentyl), nitrogens (N-(3-dimethylamino-propane) or N-(2-morpholinoethyl)) are OK too.

How about these:
1-(1-pentyl-indol-3-yl)-((N-methylpiperidinyl))methanone.png

1-(1-((N-methylpiperidinyl)methyl)-indol-3-yl)-((N-methylpiperidinyl))methanone.png

1-(1-((2-morpholinoethyl))-5-(4-methylphenyl)-pyrrol-3-yl)-(2-methoxyphenyl)ethanone.png

Last edited:
Thank you sekio, that is a great answer, very thought-provocative! :)