• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to use Kratom for opiate withdrawals

Girlinred

Greenlighter
I have been taking opiates mainly hydrocodone for 5 years now on a regular basis. 50mg gets me by but some days I take up to 100mg in a day, sometimes in one dosing. I started taking methadone when I couldn't get my hands on hydrocodone. I only take 12.5 mg in a 24 hr period when it comes to methadone. It scares me. I went to a local head shop because I have been reading about Kratom. It came in a 30 gram bag. I took it one time today but it didn't do anything for me at all. I took 2g of it so maybe it wasn't enough. I really want to quit everything. I tried cold turkey and it's absolute hell now that I've thrown methadone in the mix. It doesn't get horrible until that 3rd day without the done. I got the maeng da Kratom. Any advice on how much to take or if I need a different strain would help me so much. I read a lot but there is so much info on it that it's hard to pinpoint exactly which one to take or how much to take. Thanks

If you're just using it to detox I'd just put a tablespoon of pulverized kratom in a glass of water and drink it down. It should help reduce a lot of the acute withdrawal side effects. It's disgusting, but it works. Others might have better advice, as I have limited experience actually using kratom. It's been years as well since I last had any.

Thanks for the quick response! I tried just swallowing the powder and it was awful so I put it in toilet paper and swallowed it that way. Not so bad to take that way. I guess I just need to find the correct amount and strain. Anyone who has actually used it to detox off of methadone or other opiates, I would Love to hear your experiences! Please!

I never used it, but I think people make teas with it or something. If you're in the US, you'll need to hurry and get it before it goes on schedule I (for reasons not based in reality) at the end of the month.

There are some good reports on erowid.org about people using it to detox off other more traditional opioids.

Start with 5g's on an empty stomach, and go from there. You will likely need more, but start low and take more after an hour if you need to.
I would always get a pack of empty gel-caps and pack them myself. I couldnt stomach that crap, "toss n wash" would literally have me puking my guts out every time, wasting my kratom!

So this morning I took 4g Kratom and waited 30 mins. Took another gram of it. It's now been an hour and a half and I have no relief. Still anxious and feeling like crap. I guess I need to probably get a better brand since I just got this from a local head shop.

It works better if you take it later into w/d. Remember that kratom is much weaker than classic opioids, so don't expect it to provide as much relief as something like buprenorphine or methadone.

Thanks! I'm just looking for something to take the edge off. I got myself into this mess so I guess it's only fair to suffer some. Lol

Perhaps, everyone has to pay the piper sooner or later. That said, no one deserves to suffer.

? that's a more positive way to look at it. I just feel like it's my punishment I guess. Not having anyone to talk to about this has been the worst part. It's been my secret for 5 years. The methadone I only started 3 months ago and I keep it at a super low dose. My husband knows nothing about it nor my family and friends. Only one of my best friends knows now. I thought it might help to get it off my chest to someone and be able to talk about it. I told her just a couple of days ago and she was very supportive and helpful. Hopefully it helps

I had same size habit as you do about 4 mos. ago now ( for 10 years ) .....
Kratom made it very easy for me - I did ween down over 2 weeks to 30mg/day , using Kratom while weening made it almost painless - like I was pissed at myself for not doing it sooner , no sickness / anxiety .... Almost unreal what a help it was
I was taking 4-5g. In the am / 2-3 at lunch while weening , then the same when I jumped but added another 2-3g. around 4pm
The green vein really helps with putting your mind in better spirits , the white with a little energy - my fav. is the green Malaysian for sure , and typ. Mix the 2 in a bag together - like green Malay / white Thai 1/2 & 1/2
I wish you luck , don't let your mind tell you how bad it will be - it's 3/4 mental !!!

I did end up taking mdone bc of lack of other opi's around like you are , if you can use hydro or oxy to ween that crap out of your system it will help a lot , coming back off of that was hard - even w/ oxy I felt like crap for a few weeks , Idk if I would have made it off that crap without kratom to help - that shit should be outlawed !!
- if it's working for you , make sure to get a few mos. supply by the end of the month ; )

Hey OP!

i have a slightly lesser habit - about 80 mgs per day. I do use Kratom for withdrawal. I take it in place of my regular dose at about 6 mgs at a go. I usually do the 6 mgs three times a day for the first three days. Sometimes more, if I have to. I basically take it as-needed in those first three days, then I start to cut back by about 1 mg every time I take it. After day seven, I don't take any more.

It helps a lot, but you won't feel 100%. And really, you don't want to because you need to taper off of Kratom ASAP. Otherwise it will just prolong the agony. Use it as a parachute - not maintenance.

Good luck!

- VE

p.s. Look up the "toss and wash" method. I've always found that to be the most successful. Drinking that shit is like medieval torture.

You don't use Kratom for Opiate withdrawals. Kratom is garbage. You should use a very very low end opiate such as dihydrocodeine or codeine itself, or just take a bunch of Ibuprofen and Naproxen for pain

Depending upon what you are trying to get off of that is... Sorry I made this into two post, but either way, don't go for Methadone or Suboxone, because it'll just take you longer to get off it when you're finally fed up taking it also.

It really depends on the habit and avaliability/legality of the drug one wants to use to taper/detox/maintain. For some buprenorphine is best, for others it is methadone, for others it is kratom and for others it is codeine or dihydrocodeine. The decision which is very important and should not be taken lightly.

You don't use Kratom for Opiate withdrawals. Kratom is garbage. You should use a very very low end opiate such as dihydrocodeine or codeine itself, or just take a bunch of Ibuprofen and Naproxen for pain

Sorry you are just dead wrong. Kratom is amazing if you know what you are doing and don't go to a headshop to get it. majority of head shop kratom is complete junk. Suggestion other opiates over kratom is also rediculous. Those opiates you are suggesting have the same abuse potential as what he is trying to get off. kratom does not. Ibuprofen and naproxen do nothing for wd except help with the bone aches.

To op. Find a reliable online vendor. PM me if needed. Order quality kratom and it will work. Try 4-5 grams of good kratom and almost all of you wd symptoms will be gone, if not add in some immodium and you will be 100%.

also I have tried bupe, and methadone and neither worked as well for me, as if you use either too long you'll still have wd. Even if you stay at a moderate dose of kratom the wd is nothing compared to that of the others if you get any at all, which I thankfully do not get wd's from kratom.

Good post. That is exactly why, when it comes to which substance to use when detoxing, taper or maintaining, it all depends on the specifics of the situation and one's history of drug use.