Study: Royal Jelly May Prevent AAS Damage to Testes

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Interesting study popped up from the guys at Ergo-log recently.

The usual caveats apply, in that this is a study on rodents, not humans. However researchers in Iran discovered that when giving rats Royal Jelly at a dose of about 1g daily (human equivalent), it prevented the oxidative damage to the testes caused by Anadrol at 50mg/day.

We're already starting to discover that preventing damage to the testes on cycle is probably the best way of standing any chance of genuinely recovering post-cycle, and that standard PCTs evidently do little to secure long-term recovery.

The Royal Jelly worked because it prevented the down-regulation of the catalase enzyme that occurs with anadrol use (and undoubtedly other AAS). Catalase helps eliminate ROS (oxidants) from the testes and thus prevents the kind of cellular massacre that occurs as a result of exogenous AAS use.

This is different to the effect of taurine, which also helps protect cells of the testes (in rats, at least) indirectly via it's role in supporting other powerful anti-oxidative mechanisms like glutathione (GSH).

It would be interesting to know if Royal Jelly also ameliorated any of the oxidative harm from AAS that causes cardiovascular damage around the body and in the heart, but don't expect a study any time soon. However we can certainly speculate that it might, given all we already know about Royal Jelly's anti-aging effect, its ability to rejuvenate pituitary cells, and to increase natural testosterone and red blood cell levels.

You can find the full free study >>here<<

And Ergo-log's write up of it >>here<<

All bees produce tiny amounts of Royal Jelly. The nurse bees collect it and feed it to bee larvae for 3 days to promote growth, then give them honey for the rest of their maturation.

When the colony decides to feed a larvae with it for more than 3 days, it turns what would have been just a normal bee into a Queen, who grows about twice as fast and large as the rest of the brood, and hatches sooner. Basically, it's bee steroids, and contains all kinds of growth factors, antibacterials and hormones. One of its most famous components is the acid 10-HDA.

As for the taste, I've never tasted it. The only time I had it, it was in capsules and pretty expensive as you might imagine. I'm told it tastes a bit sour though.

So basically as a food it would probably be an acquired taste and only affordable to rich people?

Although depending how sour it actually is it might not be bad..... I mean beer is bitter and yet many people love it.

On the other hand if it tastes so sour that even eating a spoonful will make you sick (or as bitter as my cats anti parasite pills). Imagine the most disgusting thing you've had in your mouth? The taste is worse. And yes I ate a small piece out of curiosity.

I think in most cases they sell the raw stuff mixed with honey, so it's actually probably quite tasty. I may buy some and give it a whirl.

A tub costing about $20 would last about 40 days at 1g/day - in other words 50c/day. Not extortionate but not vitamin C cheap either.

If its a simple matter of oxidative stress, take some good anti-oxides such as Astaxanthin. Reportedly many times more effective than Co q10. Add some HCG which is cheap and, bam, big healthy nuts!

One of its most famous components is the acid 10-HDA.

I don't normally stick my head in this neck of BL, but as I happened to be dealing with this compound & others as part of my employment, I can say that synthetic royal jelly acid is not terribly hard to manufacture, so a synthetic supplement is probably out there somewhere. The fatty acid constituents of royal jelly are not that unpleasant to handle, actually.

If it turns out the protien fraction is whats bioactive, you may be stuck eating the natural stuff. I've seen it sold alongside bee pollen in health food stores.

I imagine it's probably all the components working together, but you do see companies offering higher % 10-HDA versions of Royal Jelly as a sales pitch. I've never seen it sold in pure form personally, but a Google search brought up a couple very expensive offerings. Maybe a market opportunity for you there Sekio? =D

The fatty acid fraction has some unusual activities on its own: I read that 10-HDA on its own modulates immune function[ref], is a mild but fairly broad-spectrum antibiotic[ref], and can disrupt tumor growth by modulating angiogenesis[ref]. It makes sense to me that the fatty acids would retain activity; they are some of the components that the bees use to determine queen health, for instance, and we know that, say, polyunsaturated fatty acids in fish oil are bioactive too.

Curiously, there's already a well established market opportunity - why I'm dealing with these in the first place, actually - it's for "synth-queens": little plastic tubes impregnated with the queen mandibular pheromone (the major one is actually 9-ODA/9-HDA) which are used to keep the bees in the beehive contented in the absence of a "real" queen (for instance, if you're shipping bees around, or your existing queen dies). Also, it turns out if you spray these bee-derived fatty acids on your fruit trees with some regularity, it increases the effect of pollination by said bees as well.

You can imagine the guys who are using it agriculturally consume a fair bit of volume :) - but of course, the markup on supplements is way more of an incentive.

It's certainly an interesting substance, seems to have some neurogenic properties as well. My Dad was a beekeeper and it always used to fascinate me as a kid how just giving a normal bee grub Royal Jelly would produce a Queen.

I might have to get in touch with some beekeepers to see about getting some pure 10-HDA on the cheap lol ;)

Bees on the juice. Who would have thought, these fuckers are getting yolked.