• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Positive The Tapering Supportive/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back up to 60 mg/day oxy. My wife's b-day is tomorrow and I don't want to have any problems. I'll start hitting my taper again on Monday.
Good thing is- no wd's at 60 mg today. A couple of weeks ago I was WD'ing at 120 mg/day. I suffered through about 5 days of a hard taper down to 35 mg but it totally worked because now I'm taking 1/2 and having no WD's at 60.

^ I hear you about not wanting problems on your wive's birthday. We are having our city's annual Harvest Festival. It includes a 3 hour parade. My daughter asked me to accompany her and my granddaughter to it, as the granddaughter will have a blast catching the candy thrown from the floats. I then will go to her house Sunday for dinner, spend the night, and babysit all day Monday while she is at work. Tuesday, I have a six hour training to keep my credentials for my profession current. I cannot be sick or look "weird" for any of these events. I will just take what I need to be a functional chronic pain patient/addict. I will go back to my taper on Wednesday. Although I have appointments for my business, they will only take a short amount of time. I can skip one dose that does not coincide with that appointment. Then, I will re-group. I am so encouraged by you, Squeaky. I need to be able to have days to be sick so I can get my dosage down. It was supposed to be today and yesterday, but that didn't happen with my migraine. I am not giving up by any means. I will be mindful of each dose I take. I set my blog up today so that I can easily look back at each daily post to see what my daily dosage is, and if I am decreasing as time goes on.

Thanks POkemama for creating this thread. As I'm tapering too it suits me perfect. I'll keep this short as possible. I'm prescribed 8mg of Dilaudid every 4 hrs so 6 a day and MS Contin 60mg twice daily. Well I'm off the morphine but last few months I've been taking 16mg of Dilaudid during the day which leads to running out early and wd so even though my pain is tough I want off the opiates for good. I'm about to move out west to my kids and don't wanna bring and habits or have them see me in wd. So I've done cold turkey before and screw that lol and I've done the Suboxone but not willing to do the 24-36 hr wait cause that's hell too so I decided a slow taper best. When I filled my dilaudid last I went back to prescribed amour then went down a mf every 5 days. Well I learned that was too quick so went to half a mg every 5 days. That seems better but I'm shocked that on step down days I'm in wd so much for day or two. Opiates help pain but anything that makes you feel that way when coming off has to be bad. I'm on 4mg a day so that's been a big step down in 3 weeks and quite honestly I feel like shit. I guess a slow taper requires a lot of willpower which due to my depend y I don't have. I took 8mg about 4am cause my back was killing me so I'm doing ok but it's great having a thread to talk and learn. Squeaky hang in there man. You got this and thanks to Mr Root for sharing your experience. I knew sugar and shit is bad but I'm a Gatorade freak and can drink up to 8 32oz in a day especially in WD. It's the only beverage that quenches my excessive thirst. Since I've been down here visiting my dad I've been drinking more apple juice. The light kind with less sugar. I love it and it was on sale at Walmart. Anyway, sorry n paragraphs. I'm bad for that. I applaud you all for your efforts and trying is better than nothing even if we slip up occasionally. Y'all are in my thoughts and I will post here frequently. Take care everyone!

Thanks bud. I'm trying. I guess that's all we can do at times. Play the hand were dealt. I thought tapering would be easier than this. It's a step down day for me so I feel a little shitty but I'm managing. Considering how high my tolerance and dependency was just a month ago I've made huge progress so I can't complain. My last day at the wonderful ocean. I'm looking at it right now. No ocean where I'm going. Just snow....lots of snow. So I'm enjoying one last ocean songwriting session then it's back home to stress tomorrow. I'll get at ya and give you more details. I hope you're well. If anyone has any diet tips specifically beverages that affect wd, let me know. I do have excessive thirst so obviously I drink a lot of cold beverages and have cut coffee out almost completely and if I want something hot I have some tea usually Earl Grey. I know green tea is good but I can't have it due to my blood thinner diet which is basically nothing loaded with vitamin K cause that's a thinner. I actually had an energy drink this morning. I haven't had one in months but it was in my isle at the store. Those things are terrible for know but it was pretty refreshing and woke me up. Toothpastedog, maybe yo can reccomend some good beverages for me cause I'm pretty sure I remember you posting about tea. I still have a soda a day and 3 glasses of ice water and my Gatorade and that's about it but if I'm drinking shit that's exsacberating my wd symptoms I'd like to know. Withdrawl. Uuugh. I'll be a happy man when I never have to worry about that word again. Hope everyone is having a good day. Peace.

Poke -

im sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well and about your daughter. When you are a parent, there is literally nothing (and I mean NOTHING) that sucks worse than disappointing your child. I'm so sorry you are in that position.

i wish I had more words of wisdom or something - but I'm also having a down day. Sending you all my best vibes though!

- VE
I know I'm being petty but I can't help it- Generalizations and exaggerations are one thing- we all make them- but it really annoys me when people bolster them by saying they "literally" mean it. As a parent there are plenty of things worse than disappointing your child. I lost my son to suicide in Feb and that way was worse than disappointing my daughter by canceling plans last weekend. Or the physical and verbal abuse my kids witnessed me endure from there father; as a parent that is worse than disappointing them. As a parent, hurting your children is worse than disappointing them- though you might say disapointment is a form of hurt, but there are worse hurts. Anyway, to say there is nothing worse than disappointing your child is one thing, but to say you LITERALLY mean that and you mean NOTHING is worse is ridiculous

Closeau - I recommend making your own lemonade. Get organic cane sugar and real lemons. Also, any kind of well insulated cup to drink from. Everything tastes better when it stays cold. If you want to go the extra mile, research carbonating your lemonade and you'll never go back to Coke.
I had a lot of trouble with my taper yesterday. Had surprise visit from my family. I'm guessing I took 100mg EXTRA oxy, above what I planned for my taper. Went over on my Lorazepam too. My wife knows and she was O.k with it after my first panic attack of the morning yesterday. The oxy helped my keep my mind together while my nephews were destroying my house........ Got a little oxy hangover this a.m. too.
I'm Getting back to my taper today. I'll shoot for 30 mg today, probably hit 45 in reality.

Hi,
I am typing this from my "camping like" situation at my daughter's home, using my blow up mattress since I am spending the night to babysit all day tomorrow. I really messed up with my pills last week. I thought since I was talking about tapering that I was actually doing a taper. Well, I was shocked when I got out my bottle, and did a count of my remaining pills. I usually use a few extra for the first days of getting a refill. This is more than that. I did start counting my dosages a couple days ago and keep track via a private blog. I am prescribed 2 10mg oxymorphone ER a day. I will have to be very careful, and even try a week with 1 1 /2 pills a day to avoid cold turkey for the last two or 3 days before my next refill. I now know my mind is messing me up, and that I have to keep count of every time I take a dose. Squeaky: what is any oxy hangover like? I wonder if I had one of those the other day, or was it w/d symptoms? What is the difference? Closeau: the lemonade sounds healthy... I would also check in with you doctor at your next appointment due to all the surgeries you have endured. He may have some insight into how to stay hydrated and get some energy as well from what you drink on a daily basis.

I know I'm being petty but I can't help it- Generalizations and exaggerations are one thing- we all make them- but it really annoys me when people bolster them by saying they "literally" mean it. As a parent there are plenty of things worse than disappointing your child. I lost my son to suicide in Feb and that way was worse than disappointing my daughter by canceling plans last weekend. Or the physical and verbal abuse my kids witnessed me endure from there father; as a parent that is worse than disappointing them. As a parent, hurting your children is worse than disappointing them- though you might say disapointment is a form of hurt, but there are worse hurts. Anyway, to say there is nothing worse than disappointing your child is one thing, but to say you LITERALLY mean that and you mean NOTHING is worse is ridiculous

MadamHatter -

Point taken. I have edited my initial post and toned it down considerably.

I didnt mean to take anything away from this thread, nor minimize the loss of your son. I apologize.

- VE

Thanks guys for the tips. The lemonade sounds wonderful especially if I can carbonate it. I have a giant 64 oz insulated jug that keeps ice fresh forever and beverage tasty and ice cold. I'm so used to it now I pored a glass of Gatorade at my dads and spilled it out in 5 min cause the ice had melt quite a bit and it was watery and nasty but this jug is great. Even in the North Carolina heat. I made a special jug for my ride home. I put a Gatorade in the freezer for an he just so it gets slushy and added ice and it was so cold I mean it really was the best!! Lasted the whole ride home.

Very awful day but I survived. I went to take my Meds tonight and accidentally took an Adderall. As soon as I swallowed I looked down and was like....shit. I'm very sleepy but restlessness thanks to that. I never do that. Oh well.

Well, I ended my taper yesterday and I'm glad about that. The pain became to great and it put into perspective why I'm on these Meds on the first place. I feel so much better. I mean, I have 2 serious medical conditions that cause chronic and at times acute pain so like it or not, I need them. I see the head doc at my pain clinic Tues morn so we'll discuss it and if there's an option for even more relief he'll find it. He's a very bright and compassionate Dr. He's also a shrink which suits my needs too even though I have one. Anyway, wanted to check in. Thanks again for the tips and hope talks tapers are successful. Goodnight.

Oxy is really just a bunch of chemicals, so the hangover (for me anyway) feels like I bathed in weed killer. Plus all the lethargy and general 'funk' you feel ftom eating too much fried food.

Good luck, Closeau. Remember why you started to taper... it was as a management tool to avoid those withdrawals the end of each month. I agree that you probably suffer from a pain level very high. If you can talk to your doctor about managing your doses so that you avoid the awful month's end symptoms when you run out, would be helpful, I bet. Can you get your pills from the pharmacy every week? That way, at least you know you would have a new week's supply 4x per month.

Check in as a friend, if you like, taper or not. Take care.

Last edited:
Thank you POkemama, I sure will. Saw the head of pain clinic this morning. I only see him once a year and I'm always early for my appts and I woke up and during my bathroom use I had a feeling something was wrong and looked at the clock and it's 10:40. I was about to take my Meds and my roomate gets in and says, don't you have an appt at 11 and I shit myself. Changed my shirt and deodorant and raced out. I got there 11:15 exactly 15 min late which is the cutoff. I was flying there. So I made it and where my main girl won't budge he raised my MS Contin a bit and surprisingly raised my dilaudid acsmidge. He said he would make more changes but I'm moving but I can take 12mg of dilaudid 2 times a day and added back the MS Contin dose at 4pm. Anyway, I'm committed to it and def feeling a lot better back on them. I wish you and every one else tapering the best of luck. If anyone ever needs helps just PM me and we'll work thru it together. Take care

I am so happy that you got your pain med dosages raised, Closeau! That is a miracle in this day and age! You were right about the doctor... he is compassionate and understanding. I bet you will be able to stay on your prescribed dosages throughout the month now! Good luck and take care!

Yes, he's one of the best in the country and is very down to earth. Changes def help. I feel so much better today than last Wed so I'm happy. Have tons to do before my move so the decrease in the pain is just in time. Thanks again for your support. Im actually leaving the site for personal reasons so I wanted to say goodbye and I'll be praying for you all in your attempt to taper off these Meds which very well may be the hardest thing to do. I applaud your efforts. Take care everyone and take care:)

I am afraid to post in the sense that I may "jinx" myself. This week has been productive, in terms of my taper. Monday, 50 mg oxymorphone ER. (Babysitting, cooking full meal, navigating a toddler as well as staircase myriad times). Tuesday, 40mg oxymorphone ER. Wednesday, 30 mg oxymorphone ER. I would rather taper more slowly; however I am being mindful of having my medication last until my next refill date arrives in order to avoid cold turkey w/d. Thursday, 25mg oxymorphone ER. Friday, 22.5mg oxymorphone ER, 15mg oxycodone. Saturday, so far, 15mg oxymorphone ER. I would like to keep at 20 mg total today; it is difficult when I have the drugs available and having w/d symptoms, mild as they are. I have a lot of ways to manage cravings: meditation; CBT work around positive affirmations; distraction through use of TV, mild cleaning; calling a relative for support. I am still weighing the effect of BL on my efforts to stay sober - sometimes I get very triggered to use; other times I read something inspirational, humorous, or educational and have no urge to use. I continue to rely on my journal/private blog to record my dosages and thoughts, as well as the mental and physical w/d symptoms I am experiencing as well as their intensity.

I locked up my meds in my time lock safe... thereby virtually insuring I will reach me goal to stay at 20 mg oxymorphone today. Unless I go crazy and break the safe, I should be good to go, lol.

My taper fell apart. Had a few various stressful days scattered over the past week and I'm back up to 90 mg/day oxy. (I was down to 35/day with some strong wd's)
Oh well, I'll get back on track and try to taper down again.

^I do the same thing when I stumble while tapering... I just try again. I spent some time reading about tapering guidelines for doctors that prescribe opiates, and the information recommended a dosage reduction of 10% a week. If I can continue to concentrate on this most recent taper, I believe that 10% is doable and I will try to follow that plan once I have enough meds available to do so. Today, I am having strong w/d... no wonder, I tapered very rapidly this week. I still believe that tapering while I still have meds beats the alternative. I suffer way too much from depression and anxiety if I go c.t.

Status
Not open for further replies.