Study: Most AAS Users Fail to Recover Natural Test Levels

CFC

Bluelight Crew
A new study highlights just how hard it is for former AAS users to recover natural testosterone levels after they finish using steroids. To be clear, this doesn't really elucidate which compounds are easier or harder on the HPTA - we already know nandrolone is spectacularly hard to recover from, but at least 8 compounds were used by more than 50% of the cohort - just that as a group it's unlikely we'll ever recover to pre-steroid levels or to those comparable with age-matched non-users.

So what help is the study? Well it does give us three things to consider:

(1) prospective new users of AAS should always be made aware that recovery is not a foregone conclusion, and that they may never recover former levels of testosterone

(2) most PCTs are a complete waste of time and money in the long-run, even if they may temporarily boost test levels

(3) taking as many precautions as possible to protect the HPTA (and especially testes) from free-radical damage should be prioritised on cycle (eg. controlling aromatase/oestrogen levels, using supplements like curcumin and taurine).

Former Abusers of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids Exhibit Decreased Testosterone Levels and Hypogonadal Symptoms Years after Cessation: A Case-Control Study.

Rasmussen JJ, Selmer C, Østergren PB, Pedersen KB, Schou M, Gustafsson F, Faber J, Juul A, Kistorp C. (2016).

CONCLUSIONS:

Former AAS abusers exhibited significantly lower plasma testosterone levels and higher frequencies of symptoms suggestive of hypogonadism than healthy control participants years after AAS cessation. Current AAS abusers exhibited severely decreased AMH and inhibin B indicative of impaired spermatogenesis.

The full study is free, so have a browse >>here<<

*PS it's also an interesting snapshot of how steroid preferences have changed over the years. Gone are things like anadrol, instead all the kids are now using trenbolone, masteron and EQ.

Interesting that former AAS abusers are more likely to be thick but earn more, live on their own, and smoke..

Quite a pioneering study CFC, thanks for posting... Kinda confirms what you have been stating for quite some time...

Mine never came back, started around 500 then about 6 months after my first test cycle it had dropped to the 300s, and that was the mean after multiple tests. Given....my first cycle was 500mg of test for about 20 weeks... Ah to go back now.

Interesting that FSH and LH are higher in the former abusers rather than the control group. Also SHBG is lower in former abusers.. I would think that would be the opposite. And none of the users/former users have degrees? lol

Last edited:
Interesting that former AAS abusers are more likely to be thick but earn more, live on their own, and smoke..

Quite a pioneering study CFC, thanks for posting... Kinda confirms what you have been stating for quite some time...

Can possibly be chalked up to less interest in women lol.

Following on from what you were discussing before GF, there's a chance that the increased tendency to smoke (nicotine) correlates to neurosteroid deficiencies in hypogonadic men (that also causes depression). Maybe supplementing precursors would reverse this.

Mine never came back, started around 500 then about 6 months after my first test cycle it had dropped to the 300s, and that was the mean after multiple tests. Given....my first cycle was 500mg of test for about 20 weeks... Ah to go back now.

Interesting that FSH and LH are higher in the former abusers rather than the control group. Also SHBG is lower in former abusers.. I would think that would be the opposite. And none of the users/former users have degrees? lol

This is one of the things I've discussed before. Generally speaking LH/FSH come back within days of the end of a cycle, making most PCT drugs utterly pointless. The issue seems to be the failure of the message (LH/FSH) to get through to the testes, possibly because of massive leydig cell death, which hCG also doesn't necessarily seem to reverse or prevent. So presumably levels of LH/FSH continue to rise as the hypothalamus senses low hormone levels, thus solving the paradox of heightened levels.

As for SHBG, it's probably an attempt by the body to raise free test. Sometimes you also find, quite ironically, men who come off a long cycle suddenly start to lose their hair. This is speculated to be because enzymatic conversion of circulating test to DHT elevates to compensate for a less androgenic environment.

Couldn't care less either way. I plan on starting TRT when I'm in my 30s anyway, fuck it!

This is one of the things I've discussed before. Generally speaking LH/FSH come back within days of the end of a cycle, making most PCT drugs utterly pointless. The issue seems to be the failure of the message (LH/FSH) to get through to the testes, possibly because of massive leydig cell death, which hCG also doesn't necessarily seem to reverse or prevent. So presumably levels of LH/FSH continue to rise as the hypothalamus senses low hormone levels, thus solving the paradox of heightened levels.

As for SHBG, it's probably an attempt by the body to raise free test. Sometimes you also find, quite ironically, men who come off a long cycle suddenly start to lose their hair. This is speculated to be because enzymatic conversion of circulating test to DHT elevates to compensate for a less androgenic environment.

Oh ok I see. Could you explain why it is that even when men have nearly 0 lh/fsh that they can still knock up women? Why is that. I use to be under the impression that if those 2 things were 0 then it should be impossible. I know now that it isn't the case.

Oh ok I see. Could you explain why it is that even when men have nearly 0 lh/fsh that they can still knock up women? Why is that. I use to be under the impression that if those 2 things were 0 then it should be impossible. I know now that it isn't the case.

I doubt they're right on zero. Some guys are naturally less affected, probably because they have higher innate levels of antioxidants like glutathione. You can definitely be on cycle and have low levels but still have some good sperm left - it only takes one happy champ to crack the egg ;)

I doubt they're right on zero. Some guys are naturally less affected, probably because they have higher innate levels of antioxidants like glutathione. You can definitely be on cycle and have low levels but still have some good sperm left - it only takes one happy champ to crack the egg ;)

I ask because I have been on trt for over a year with tren blasts here and there, and managed to somehow knock up a female, she didn't have it due to complications but still. I don't suspect any foul play with that one either. I've also heard of others who were on tren/trt for extended periods still knocking up their wives.

I ask because I have been on trt for over a year with tren blasts here and there, and managed to somehow knock up a female, she didn't have it due to complications but still. I don't suspect any foul play with that one either. I've also heard of others who were on tren/trt for extended periods still knocking up their wives.

Yes, that happens all the time to the unsuspecting mate. They discovered AAS is not as suppressive of spermatogenesis as you'd think when trying to develop a reliable male contraceptive.

Yes, that happens all the time to the unsuspecting mate. They discovered AAS is not as suppressive of spermatogenesis as you'd think when trying to develop a reliable male contraceptive.

Well damn. The more you know..

A little off topic but last night I was watching a podcast with Dr Rhonda Patrick. She is so full of knowledge it's crazy, that is if everything she is saying is accurate.. Makes me wish I hadn't done so many drugs and could retain more information. Not saying Joe is a super intelligent guy but at times he's just like wtf lol.

She talks about the human body, hormones, nutrition etc..

Crikey 3 hours! Did you listen to the whole thing?! I have ADD so after about 20 secs I have to do something else lol.

Crikey 3 hours! Did you listen to the whole thing?! I have ADD so after about 20 secs I have to do something else lol.

It took me 3 days to get through it and I did skip around a little. Guilty. Those podcasts are damn long, I don't understand how you can just sit and talk to anyone for 3 hours unless it's like bill gates.

It took me 3 days to get through it and I did skip around a little. Guilty. Those podcasts are damn long, I don't understand how you can just sit and talk to anyone for 3 hours unless it's like bill gates.

D R U G S !!!

lol

That is why I stick with Clomid and don't bother with AAS. My Total and Free T levels are above the healthy range and Anastrozole keeps my E2 in check. Sure, Clomid will not raise my T to same levels as AAS, but for those who want to be within healthy range, Clomid is an excellent alternative to RRTß.

That is why I stick with Clomid and don't bother with AAS. My Total and Free T levels are above the healthy range and Anastrozole keeps my E2 in check. Sure, Clomid will not raise my T to same levels as AAS, but for those who want to be within healthy range, Clomid is an excellent alternative to RRTß.

you take clomid to raise your test level?
im not sure it's healthy longterm..