• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

books that would make great movies

YEUX

Bluelighter
i always thought "go ask alice" should be made into a movie. what do you think bluelight gang?

:)

william gibson - idoru !!!

i'd like to see what this would be like in the hands of a good director, although book to movie adaptations are almost ALWAYS severely bastardized ...

I thought it would have been cool if they had made the sequal to Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat into a movie. Instead they skipped it and made the inferior 3rd book into a bad movie :(

Hoots and Toots and Hairy Brutes: for a kids movie.
Memoirs of a Geisha

Ender's game - Orson Scott Card.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks that, and from what I heard he is trying to make it a movie.

oceanide said:
william gibson - idoru !!!

i'd like to see what this would be like in the hands of a good director, although book to movie adaptations are almost ALWAYS severely bastardized ...

I really want to see neuromancer..specifically directed by chris cunningham.
Then I want to see Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive..and virtual light, idoru, and so on :D

Or Snow Crash, Ringworld, The Magician, Memory Sorrow & Thorn...

There aren't enough good fantasy/sf movies out there..most of them are just mediocre and rely on fancy fx. Hopefully the recent batch of relatively good ones will help solve this though :)

ps: I've been hearing rumours about an ender's game movie for a long time...hope it does finally get made. And I thought Spielberg was making a film version of Memoirs of a Geisha..? But I guess that was a few years ago now...

I'd love to see Queen of Angels by Greg Bear made into a film. It's one of my favourite science fiction novels and comes highly recommended to anyone who enjoys quality "soft sf".

Come to think of it I'd also like someone to film Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner another classic soft sf novel from the '60s. Very ahead of it's time and it hasn't aged at all, it's just as relevant today as it was four decades ago.

Perfume - Patrick Suskind
I'd love to see some of Iain Banks culture stuff too...

harl3quin... good call with chris cunningham.. although ridley scott might manage well too.. hmmm... maybe a collab

The Magician - a recent interview with Feist revealed that there have been serious discussions!!

The great and secret show by Clive Barker. Such a fantastic read for anyone who likes fantasy/armageddon books.

And i wish they would make a decent movie based on H.P. Lovecraft's writings. Most of them have been pretty mediocre and mundane. So much potential .... *sigh*

a 5th grade book called The Giver. But you'd have to make it wicked and creepy, with Sean Connery playing the giver. And that Haley Joel Osment as the main character.

The Secret Diaries of Adrian Mole. (if it hasn't already been done?)

I can just see Daniel Radcliffe in the lead....

Amoroak: I agree with Memoirs of a Geisha too .... good call.

nowonmai said:
Perfume - Patrick Suskind

that is a truly remarkable book. the writing is so wonderful i often thought that it would be hard to do it justice in a movie. it would be an amazing challenge, but i can think of a couple of directors who would be up to it.
[pause]
in fact, i just did some background reading and there is some interesting stuff here.

for anybody who does not know the book, it was written in 1981 and details the story of an 18th century parisian driven by olfactory obsession to become a serial murderer.

constantin films purchased the film rights to the book (in one of the biggest rights deals in hollywood history) from author patrick suskind.

the delay in completing the deal has an interesting explanation. suskind had, apparently, only wanted stanley kubrick to direct the screen version. following kubrick's death in 1999 a swarm of directors, including martin scorsese and tim burton, put in bids for the film, but Ridley Scott finally got the go ahead to develop the script.

Scott will write the script with help of Edward Scissorhands screenwriter Caroline Thompson.

if only tim burton had the chance to make this...

Originally posted by nowonmai I'd love to see some of Iain Banks culture stuff too...

oh yes. any one of his books would make excellent viewing. hopefully they'll start with my favourite: The Bridge :)

alasdair

^^

your fave is the bridge?? wow.. same as that. most people trot out the old wasp factory as their favourite (in the non sci-fi genre) and it is a good book, but the bridge is amazing... the whole transition from life to death and so on.

the bridge is not just my favourite Iain Banks book - it's my favourite book of all time...

:)

alasdair

Glamorama - Brett Easton Ellis

It would take a brave director to have a go at this, but in the right hands it could be brilliant. But it could very easily be a disaster too.

karmacoma said:
Glamorama - Brett Easton Ellis

It would take a brave director to have a go at this, but in the right hands it could be brilliant. But it could very easily be a disaster too.

on a related note, have you seen The Rules of Attraction?

alasdair

Yes The Bridge and Perfume! Ive always thought they would make great films,
awhile back I read Year of the Plague that would make a good film. also The Master and Margaritta, it was a turned into a film a long time ago in Italy, maybe the sixties, but i think an update would be mighty fine.

The Space Trilogy of C.S. Lewis: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength.