• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

Word of the Day IV - Letter Words

An ideal language would have a perfect 1:1 mapping between concepts and words. It would be impossible to misunderstand (but also, there could be no poetry; not even a figure of speech). It would be possible to translate into any other language. It also couldn't possibly exist in reality (or at least, it would be a perpetual Work In Progress) -- but that does not diminish the usefulness of the abstract concept.

What we have in the real world is hundreds of different languages, that all set out originally to solve the same problem but took very different approaches. For every language, there is a subset that gives a very precise mode of speech, excluding all forms of literary device, that is an approximation of this ideal language and sufficient to describe, as completely as is known, at least the immediate environment of its users.

And culture doesn't have any intrinsic meaning. It's just the product of circumstances and people's perceptions thereof. People are all the same underneath, once you control for culture. The study of cultures can show how they were shaped by events, but I think you are ascribing too much significance to this. It's just stuff that happened; and if it had happened differently, we would have come out differently, but we would still be looking back just the same, trying to make sense of it.

And culture doesn't have any intrinsic meaning. It's just the product of circumstances and people's perceptions thereof. People are all the same underneath, once you control for culture. The study of cultures can show how they were shaped by events, but I think you are ascribing too much significance to this. It's just stuff that happened; and if it had happened differently, we would have come out differently, but we would still be looking back just the same, trying to make sense of it.

Point is it did happen differently and that's why your dress is a dress not a deel (Mongolian).

People are people, sure. Which is why I argue against your differentiation in the other thread. But language is culture and you cannot 'control', like some fucking scientific sub-species, for that.

Sphygmomanometer.

Don't drop one or that's your kitchen / lab / surgery / ward off limits until the mercury gets cleaned up.

Use an electronic version or a dinamap with a sphyg function (which should be all of them as far as I am aware - try and get one on wheels for ultimate laziness)

Useless top tip # 1286 ;)

I never wear sunglasses but I shelled out a quid today for a pair, just to facilitate my seasonal espionage %)

Reflecting on that sentence, maybe feminists have a point :p

Are they mirrors? They've gotta be mirrors for optimum stealth perving.

Yes.

Yes they are.

Also, due to the unforeseen results of some medical trials I did a few years back, my ears perform all of the functions of periscopes.

Yes.

Yes they are.

Also, due to the unforeseen results of some medical trials I did a few years back, my ears perform all of the functions of periscopes.

Ooh, nice. Has your tongue, perchance, been suitably enhanced?

It certainly has. It's now long enough to soothe an itch on any part of my face. This means that, should I get an itch, I don't need to lower my newspaper and blow my cover.

I'm the all-organic 'Inspector Gadget' :D

It certainly has. It's now long enough to soothe an itch on any part of my face. This means that, should I get an itch, I don't need to lower my newspaper and blow my cover.

I'm the all-organic 'Inspector Gadget' :D

Does that include tentacles? If so, Belfast here I come ;)

I think I need to do some Open University course before I'm adroit enough to use the tentacles. I just tape them up for now.

There's lots of acid doing the rounds in Belfast at the moment so there may be tentacles, of sorts, flying about the place. They're a bit smelly, off-colour, and don't usually have enough structural integrity to be useful in grabbing :\