European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

RIP, Muhammad Ali

Eveleivibe

Ex-Bluelighter
I liked Mahammod Ali. "i am the Greatest!" Lol. Sad about the parkinson's tho :(

RIP :(

Evey

Last edited:
I liked Mahammod Ali. "i am the Greatest!" Lol. Sad about the parkinson's tho :(

RIP :(

Evey

Fuck, I didn't realise he'd died until you posted that Evey.

'Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee...'

A true legend in his own ring...

R.I.P. Ali...

RIP

Probably the most iconic personality to ever grace boxing. A true master in the ring and a master of fight promotion.

I think I'll dust off one of my H.S Thompson books to re-read when Thompson met Ali.

Fuck, I didn't realise he'd died until you posted that Evey.

'Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee...'

A true legend in his own ring...

R.I.P. Ali...

Nor did I until I read someone say in the Lounge n so I edited my post as I didn't think it was appropriate now he's died. Such a shame. A true legend gone :(

Evey

Damn, we've lost another legend.

Ismene, do you want me to change the title of this thread (or were you aware he had died when you started if?)
I only just heard.

Damn - the amount of amazing, unique people checking-out recently is getting a bit overwhelming. :(.

RIP

this interview always puts a smile on my face

Last edited:
He was voted Sports Personality of the 20th century in the US and UK.

BBC News 24hr has been on constant Ali tribute mode for the last 2 hours, and his life story is amazing. A truly great man in and out of the boxing ring. What a character!

RIP. <3

Last edited:
I knew he was likely to go so I got in with my fave Ali quote. It's prob better keeping this as an obit thread.

Loved the guy - just seeing him smile would make you feel more alive. As for the "parkinsons" (it was actually some strange form of parkinsons that you get from repeated blows to the head) it was a tragedy to see him like that. I know people say he made the best of it but why did it have to happen to him. His wife said "He gets depressed, and he has a lot to be depressed about"

He was voted Sports Personality of the 20th century in the US and UK.

BBC News 24hr has been on constant Ali tribute mode for the last 2 hours, and his life story is amazing. A truly great man in and out of the boxing ring. What a character!

RIP. <3

Mods: Can the thread title be changed or split from the first few posts made before the man actually died?

Ace. I'm going to het News 24 on now thanks for that, MDB <3

Evey

I met him at a gas station in upstate Michigan when I was a kid. We were there with my parents when all the sudden a limo pulls in and two people get out of the back, a gorgeous woman and Muhammad Ali. He was still Cassius Clay at the time. My mom recognized him and told us kids to go say hi. We awkwardly did but he immediately put us at ease and seemed genuinely pleased that we wanted to shake his hand. My mom abhorred boxing but she knew enough about Clay as a champion of civil rights that she wanted her kids to know they had just met a very honorable and courageous man.

Quote from a reporter on CNN:
....a man who burst into the national consciousness in the early 1960s, when as a young heavyweight champion he converted to Islam and refused to serve in the Vietnam War, and became an emblem of strength, eloquence, conscience and courage. Ali was an anti-establishment showman who transcended borders and barriers, race and religion. His fights against other men became spectacles, but he embodied much greater battles.

I met him at a gas station in upstate Michigan when I was a kid. We were there with my parents when all the sudden a limo pulls in and two people get out of the back, a gorgeous woman and Muhammad Ali. He was still Cassius Clay at the time. My mom recognized him and told us kids to go say hi. We awkwardly did but he immediately put us at ease and seemed genuinely pleased that we wanted to shake his hand. My mom abhorred boxing but she knew enough about Clay as a champion of civil rights that she wanted her kids to know they had just met a very honorable and courageous man.

Quote from a reporter on CNN:

That is such a touching story herbavore. What a gent... <3

It's couragous n admirable that he stood up for his beliefs n regused to go to war. I agree with FUBZ that was a lovely story, Herby <3

Evey

Pretty much every fight after 1979 was a nail in his eventual early grave but I can't help but think he wouldn't have regretted them any way.

His charisma won him a lot of fans but personally it was his integrity which stood out. He sacrificed personal glory to stand up for his values and was probably the most courageous civil rights fighter in history.

Bonus points for being a witty motherfucker to boot

Pretty much every fight after 1979 was a nail in his eventual early grave but I can't help but think he wouldn't have regretted them any way.

His charisma won him a lot of fans but personally it was his integrity which stood out. He sacrificed personal glory to stand up for his values and was probably the most courageous civil rights fighter in history.

Bonus points for being a witty motherfucker to boot

Try telling that to David Haye... He'll say ,"wot?"

I don't mean to sour the thread which is a tribute thread.

But it does strike me as odd, that when it came to being promiscuous and indulging in such vices, he quickly turned his back on his "faith" and contradicted all of it's teachings, ignored the rules at his own convenience so he could indulge in such misdemeanours... but when it came to putting his ass on the line in Vietnam, suddenly his religious beliefs are everything and he cannot fight in fear of upsetting Allah. Convenient, eh?

I don't mean to sour the thread which is a tribute thread.

But it does strike me as odd, that when it came to being promiscuous and indulging in such vices, he quickly turned his back on his "faith" and contradicted all of it's teachings, ignored the rules at his own convenience... but when it came to putting his ass on the line in Vietnam, suddenly his religious beliefs are everything and he cannot fight in fear of upsetting Allah

Sounds pretty typical of anyone who claims to be 'religious'... ;)

Raas there's another thread for that which is why was was split it's hardly the place.....

Evey

On your death bed you usually do do things, suddenly find God and repent, or look back and realise it was all a scam.

I only have to look at most of my generations parents. When we were kids they were puritans and followed their church leaders. By the time they reached retirement they realised it was a ll a lie and they had better play catch up.

I think Ali said it better though....

The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Besides he never fought the Viet Con because of God, he never fought because of Uncle Sam

"I got nothing against no Viet Cong. No Vietnamese ever called me a nigger."