Study: Collagen May Improve Knee Arthritis

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Collagen has for quite a while now been seen as equal to or possibly better than the traditional Glucosamine-Chondroitin combination for joint osteoarthritis (wear and tear). This latest study suggests that is indeed the case, with just a tiny dose (40mg) of undenatured type 2 collagen improving functional outcomes beyond a typical G-C supplement.

However, bear in mind that the entire study was paid for and researched by people affiliated to the manufacturer! This is not to say it's complete rubbish - it's often the only way a company can get a promising product tested in real world conditions. But it's wise to be wary/skeptical of lone studies like this.

Nevertheless Ergolog have bothered to discuss it here.

And you can read the full free paper for yourself here.

One of the biggest caveats I can see, which hasn't been picked up already, is that MMP-3 (matrix metalloproteinase 3 enzyme) and IL-6 (interleukin 6) are elevated by collagen. That's not typically seen as a good thing, usually a sign of inflammation.

However CRP levels fall significantly, which is usually a sign of reduced inflammation. So perhaps the overall outcome is still positive. MRIs of the joint would be a good way to find out if any recovery has occurred, but lamentably that's not been done here (they're expensive!).

If you have joint issues, I'd recommend for now just sticking with a regular cheap collagen product at a fairly high dose. Nevertheless, this may prove promising after more studies have been completed.

A powerlifter at my gym recommended collagen for joint pain. Says it works for him and he's an older and consistent heavy lifter. I was really surprised he said collagen starts work work in just a few days since Glucosamine takes much longer (in my experience). I've tried dumber things in my life so I can't see why this isn't worth at least a try.

It is worth a try, and I'd say that about most things ;)

Bear in mind though that placebo effects are potent, so give it a few months before deciding whether it's really working or whether it's just wishful thinking.

I bought a kg of collagen powder and am taking about 4 teaspoons a day. Will let you know if I feel any improvement. I'm only on day 3 so definitely nothing yet.

Ha! No it'll take a long time for the chondrocytes to get going yet. How much did it cost?

I paid around $29 USD plus tax on Amazon but the product comes from bulksupplements. The seller has an extensive list (bulksupplements.com).

Okay, so I've been taking around 4 teaspoons of collagen for about a month now and in that short time, I can say that my joints feel better. I have pain in both knees and elbows. I won't say I'm cured or that the pain is completely gone but I definitely feel better. I can now perform full range bench presses with 175kg without elbow wraps whereas before that would have been impossible. It's effective enough that I will continue to use this product as long as I'm lifting heavy and I will recommend it to others to try if they are experiencing similar problems.
Unfortunately, I have NOT seen improvement in lower back pain. I will probably have that along with most older people until I die... Oh well.

That's good news mate, must feel great to be able to push without much pain. I want to hear how things feel by month 3, as we're still in potential placebo territory at the moment. Regarding the back, was that from a herniated disc? As I wouldn't expect it to make any difference to that unfortunately.

I have a powerlifting meet in a few months so I'll post again around that time on how the joints feel.
Only had physical therapists help me with my back so I don't know why exactly but I'd bet that it is from a herniated disk or two or three.

Sorry to hear that, I've had a herniation and bulging discs, it's a real pain. I'd normally say try some deadlifts and back extensions, but I suspect you probably do that already ;)