• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What's Good On TV? V. Saul Changed His Number

Fucking loving Vinyl! I definitely believe it will be up there with my old time favourites of The Wire and Breaking Bad. What a time to be alive that time is. To experience those gigs...

Also really enjoying Limitless and Lucifer, although I wish shows would do away with the whole cop investigation thing and get down to the real story. 12 Monkeys is also worth watching if you are into sci-fi's. Really enjoyed that show and it's been signed on for another season which is good for a syfy show these days. And, of course, Better Call Saul is probably the greatest spin-off created. Absolute perfect tie in with BB.

I'm up to the middle of season two of Saul now.

It's alright. Good cast. I don't empathize a lot with the lead, but I like the character of Mike, who was my favourite in Breaking Bad also.

Likewise. I agree, its alright, not amazing. Much pref the story arc of mike

Hmmm as much as I agree I think the producers have a bigger story for Mike, I don't think we're meant to feel anything towards him, nor Jimmy. He's becoming too 'soft' (Mike). Time will tell of course.

Just watching 'Black Death' on the freeview horror channel. It's turning out to be a classic in the tradition of 'Excalibur'.

Edit: Fantastic film. Classic British atmospheric dark age witch hunting Christian v pagan fantasy (with Sean Bean and a few fit birds)

Last edited:
I'm up to the middle of season two of Saul now.

It's alright. Good cast. I don't empathize a lot with the lead, but I like the character of Mike, who was my favourite in Breaking Bad also.

been watching that myself, its a lot less disturbing than breaking bad for sure. I find it pretty relaxing to watch. Makes me wish i had a swimming pool.

The Beginning & End of the Universe - 1. The Beginning

The Beginning & End of the Universe - 2. The End

Jim Al-Khalili's latest is another goody. He's always told a good tale but it's nice to see a little more of the science itself in this one. Rather than just telling us what the relevant experiments demonstrate he repeats the experiment and shows why it demonstrates what it demonstrates. Fairly basic stuff for people who gorge on this kinda stuff but great to see it being included for the casual viewer or for those whose appetite has been whetted by similar docs.

Horizon - The Mystery of Dark Energy

Mainly included for the timeliness in relation to the above because - for fairly obvious reasons - the material is a little thin with this particular topic. The little bit about the experiment hoping to find evidence in favour of the Chameleon hypothesis was quite interesting though as was the preview of the forthcoming Euclid satellite set to explore said mystery on a somewhat larger scale. Not convinced about the wisdom of using an actor to give a few Einstein quotes (using possibly the most English accent I have ever heard) though...

The Beginning & End of the Universe - 1. The Beginning

The Beginning & End of the Universe - 2. The End

Jim Al-Khalili's latest is another goody. He's always told a good tale but it's nice to see a little more of the science itself in this one. Rather than just telling us what the relevant experiments demonstrate he repeats the experiment and shows why it demonstrates what it demonstrates. Fairly basic stuff for people who gorge on this kinda stuff but great to see it being included for the casual viewer or for those whose appetite has been whetted by similar docs.

Aye, I watched them both last night. I've watched quite a few things with Jim Al-Khalili and they're always very good.

Agreed. Think I've watched all of his BBC series and would recommend them all to all. Definitely one of the better purveyors of scientific storytelling. The extended interviews he does with various people of note to be found on PooToob are usually worth a watch too.

Agreed on Jim Al-Khalili - if you do radio he also presents a pretty good show on radio 4 called 'The Life Scientific' (tuesdays 9am/9.30pm)- covers all different science subjects but each episode focusses on/interviews one scientist; some epsidoes have been really good; gives more of an insight into the presonal reality of science than some programs.

The Horizon physics/cosmology documentaries can be good. My main gripe is just that they are slightly dumbed down but I suppose they need to explain these things for the first time to the uninitiated (like Shambles, I gorge myself on the stuff). When you try to watch the American documentaries, you really do appreciate the good old BBC. It's impossible to watch some of the American documentaries with their over-production, constant re-caps, bizarre visual metaphors, and blockbuster film trailer narration..

And constant background music - i find this in most american documentaries, even the 'serious' ones.

Two pretty good series of political documentaries are on the Real News Network 'The Empire Files' which is Abby Martin's (used ot be on RT) new show on Telesur (South American tv channel). The linked episode is about 'big oil'; there are some really good other episodes too (linked in the sidebar).

Also 'Days of Revolt' by Chris Hedges has got some good episodes too (linked is a 2 part interview with Michael Hudson, 'heterodox' economist)

Recently Scott Noble's latest film Plutocracy was released - tells quite an indepth but not very well-known story of the struggles of the little people in america in the 19th century (eg shay's rebellion, knights of labour, 'rednecks', populous movement, mother jones) - really fascinating; this is part one - part two will go into the movements of the early 20th century, like the IWW (wobblies). This radical history should really be better known (the same goes for the british radical tradition).

If you haven't seen them and are interested in history and politics, watch all his other films too (from a left wing/anarchist angle, but full of veracity) (maybe this stuff should be in a documentary thread...)

Last edited:
I must say, I've really enjoyed watching James May: The Reassembler.

Simple, yet brilliant.

Does anyone watch GPs Behind closed Doors? What do you think of it? <3

Evey

Anyone watching "Abused "The Untold Story" about Jimmy Saville? It's on BBC1 now.

Evey

The opening credits to The Man In The High Castle, are beautiful...

A great what if story..

I enjoyed the first series, but i'm worried that they'll butcher the story to keep it going indefinitely (as american series' do) - there's a definite arc in the book which i hope they retain (it's sort of the whole point of the story)

Chasing Dad: A Lifelong Addiction

Second episode of BBC3's current season of addiction docs. Grown-up son documents a year or so in the life of his father who has been on the gear for 30+ years. Thought it was rather well done myself. Not at all sensationalist - I suspect at least some here will recognise a lot in there. I know I did.

The previous one following a homeless fella addicted to Spice was good too and is still available on iPlayer.

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle: Childhood

Found this recent series a bit patchy compared to normal but that last one is a belter. Was in pain laughing at that last night. Piss funny =D

The man in the high castle...

Pretty good so far

Been meaning to get around to that. Read the book just a while back whilst working my way through the library's selection of Dicks... all three of 'em 8)