Bluelighter
Last iteration
Finally updated.

~Sprout

Pic from the recipe book
6b9e6b5d5f742e922130a61ef72c836e.jpg

My attempt below
0faeaaf69f1be1a0ddd80f188a9890d0.jpg

Along with the mixed berry pancakes made from smoothie I think everyone was pleasantly surprised :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks delicious, sid.

OT, I'm still living the student diet of beans and pasta, frozen pizza and toast. With occasional sports drinks to recover after a stim session.

^ Nice one Sid.

I've just had Spinach & Ricotta Tortelloni.

Been a while since I tried any new concoctions myself, really should branch out. Maybe try a new recipe once a month?

Nice job, Sid :D

Aye a recipe a month sounds like a good target, do you like go out of your way to find recipes or is there a single repository you draw from? I am not good at cooking.

Munching on fuck all, had a dodgy stomach the past few days so said to me Mum I'd sort my own dinner out later. Course I'm really high now and going to end up raiding the fridge in a bit though tbh I quite fancy jacket taties and salad. Love coming home, my mother has food shopping down to an art. I mean I don't come back just for that, but it's a nice bonus <3

Hi snolly sorry for the late reply! Well I've always been quite into cooking. Preferably nice full hearty meals which take a while to prep and are full of healthy ingredients. Someone bought me a Jamie Oliver healthy meals book for Xmas which the above recipe was from that book. I also have a book from Sarah Brown which is similar, but mostly I just do my own thing :) I do like to try new recipes aswell, particularly if they're complicated and we've got people round...to show off ;)

Breakfast this morning
0b8e2f953899455ceaf91fba48b5d668.jpg

And coffee made in the new coffee maker I bought the family at Xmas
a97618806d931867bd6b500e417329d1.jpg

Ah I need to get me some recipe books, just got a slow cooker for Christmas and am dying to use it but not entirely sure where to start! Not quite on the level of making my own stuff up and actually feeding it to people other than myself and my partner but whenever I do that it at least turns out edible, even pleasant at times :D Sat debating what to make tonight, have cleaned the kitchen (should have seen it) so am all dying to cook summat but yeah, not a clue. Possibly some pasta and bacon related thing I think. Need to work eggs in there somehow before the ones in the fridge go out of date

Aye a recipe a month sounds like a good target, do you like go out of your way to find recipes or is there a single repository you draw from? I am not good at cooking.

I have a couple of recipe books, although I tend to get basic ideas myself. Usually that just amounts to a few ingredients & I'll google recipes to see what I can find. If I do use the recipe books, it's usually more as a guide than following the exact recipe although they are good inspiration too of course.

The recipe books I have are Gary Rhodes - Keeping it Simple & Nigella Lawson - Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home.

I think in the end of the day, just follow recipes until you get a feel for what works well together, then start branching out a bit & being creative.

PS - I trust you are feeling a bit better now. <3

Ooh Nigella <3 Yeah I take the same approach on occasion, I found a great site that lets you put in your ingredients then suggests recipes but I can't for the life of me remember the URL :(

Got some macaroni and cheese thing going on in the slow cooker, followed a basic recipe and whacked some bacon, chilies, and whatnot in as well. I hope it's not vile, I'm feeling quite housewifey today and that would ruin it.

Ooh Nigella <3 Yeah I take the same approach on occasion, I found a great site that lets you put in your ingredients then suggests recipes but I can't for the life of me remember the URL :(

Got some macaroni and cheese thing going on in the slow cooker, followed a basic recipe and whacked some bacon, chilies, and whatnot in as well. I hope it's not vile, I'm feeling quite housewifey today and that would ruin it.

I've come across a website like that at some point... quite possibly the one you are talking about!

Sounds like an good combo for your mac & cheese. I like putting a tiny bit of wholegrain mustard in mine. I don't know if you already do it, but like an essential part for me is putting extra cheese on the top & grilling it when everything is cooked. Crunchy top is the best bit... :D

Mmm pizzaaa. Some of those ristauranté ones from Aldi's are actually lovely. Thin crust, thick slices of buffalo mozzarella. Delicious.

I've come across a website like that at some point... quite possibly the one you are talking about!

Sounds like an good combo for your mac & cheese. I like putting a tiny bit of wholegrain mustard in mine. I don't know if you already do it, but like an essential part for me is putting extra cheese on the top & grilling it when everything is cooked. Crunchy top is the best bit... :D

Ah shit, didn't think of mustard! Next time...though I will be sticking some cheese on top and grilling it, excellent suggestion that <3 Will pass on the prospective compliments once it's served ;) Just got home and it's shaping up nicely, should be done in an hour or so.

edit: it was received v well, go me =D and also you. Need some red onions next time I think tho.

Last edited:
I'm currently making

Apple and Broccoli soup (with Parmesan crisps)

Baked Aubergine with pesto (may serve with feta cheese and walnuts) - green bean, romaine, cherry tomato salad (thinking pomegranate dressing)

Pears poached in red wine with star anise, honey and black pepper - serving that with a honey, walnut, yogurt dressing and may garnish with thyme.

Apple and broccoli soup sounds pretty good, might have to try make some soups. Saw a handy soup chart somewhere listing what goes well with what, mix n match type dealie. Need to find that again

I've been nibbling on olives and feta and now some fruit salad. YUM!

I used to hate feta when I was young. Now I love it! Had some in with some butternut squash and chill soup last week, was so good!

Apple and broccoli soup sounds pretty good, might have to try make some soups. Saw a handy soup chart somewhere listing what goes well with what, mix n match type dealie. Need to find that again

It was really nice Snolly, so nice partner wants me to make it again tonight so he can take to friends for lunch tomorrow - also going to be making tuna steaks done with caper, garlic, chili and cherry tomatoes all fried in olive oil. Really simple but tastes great (and looks fancy).

The soup is very simple - head of broccoli, three apples (I used Granny Smith), one large onion, lump of butter and stock (I used chicken stock cubes and just under a liter and a half of water - do a liter first and test it), thyme.

Chop the broccoli up, shave the stem and cut that into pieces.
Peel and core the apples chop in half and each half into 6
slice the onion

fry the onion and apples in the butter until softened (medium to low heat so you do not brown the onions) add salt and pepper, then add the broccoli give that a couple of minutes stirring then add stock, increase the heat and cook until broccoli is soft, blend it (I used a stick blender) add the thyme and leave to simmer for a while.

I swirled some Walnut oil on the top of mine but cream, creme fraiche would be nice also

Just had the leftovers for lunch today :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.