• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

Journalist working on story about heroin use among teenagers

roch

Greenlighter
Hello all. My name is David DesRoches, and I'm a reporter for an NPR affiliate radio station in Connecticut. I'm working on a story exploring the rise in heroin use among teenagers. I'm looking for people, preferably who live in Connecticut, who are users or who have quit, or who have family members who use. I'm not trying to tell the basic "I screwed up my life and I'm trying to fix it" story, nor am i trying to tell the "society made me who I am" story. I want to tell a sensitive, nuanced and complete story about the various social, emotional, psychological, economic, and familial aspects that contribute to a teenager becoming addicted to heroin.

My limited understanding is that the over-prescription of painkillers has led to a rise in heroin use, and heroin is often easier and cheaper to get than scripts.

I don't know a lot, so please be patient with me! There may be terms that I use that are offensive, or generalizations I make that are also offensive. I am still learning. Please point them out to me. I would never presume to be above correction.

As a disclaimer, I believe the "war on drugs" has been one of the most harmful public health decisions in the history of the United States, and probably other countries. If there's anything else I can tell you about myself or what I'm doing, please message me, or visit DavidDesRoches.com

If you'd like to talk, on or off the record, about your experience with heroin, please message me. Your right to privacy means more to me than a headline, and I would never compromise your confidence for the sake of a story. The only thing I have to prove this claim is my own work history, which I believe speaks for itself. I would never publish your comments unless you give me explicit consent.

I look forward to hearing your stories.