• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Constant muscle fasciculations after MDMA abuse. Did I do permanent brain damage?

icedcoffee1979

Greenlighter
Hello,

I am new here, after reading for a couple weeks I have decided to make an account and seek help for a pretty upsetting problem I have been having related to muscle spasms/twitching.

I'll start by briefly describing my MDMA abuse. Then I will describe symptoms.

Back in May I acquired a connection for MDMA. I have a single reagent test kit I would routinely use to test the MDMA I would purchase. Each and every time. It would always turn dark blue/black within 5 seconds or so, so I assume I always got mostly pure MDMA. Though the appearance would change (sometimes pure white and powdery, sometimes with a brownish tinge in crystals I would crush up) it always "tested well."

Prior to last May, I would only occasionally do "Molly" at festivals or shows without testing. But only every couple of months and never with any lasting side effects.

Once I got this connection in May, I started do MDMA every weekend or every other weekend, and sometimes on the weekends when I did do it, doing back to back nights was not un-common. As far as dosage I would usually do between .2 grams up to a half a gram a night (spread out over many hours, not all at once).

So basically from May through Nov 20th (the last time I did any) I was doing between .2 to .5 grams every other weekend and sometimes even heavier use where I would do it back to back nights in a weekend at camping music festivals or something of that nature.

I realize now that this is WAY to much and WAY to frequent. I only discovered the amounts and frequency were way above abusive amounts after Google-ing my symptoms (which I'm about to get to).

While doing it I was mindful not to consume alcohol (probably my only smart move) and I would drink water.

So here I am, after 7 months of abuse. The last time I used any was November 20th. So I have not used any in close to 3 weeks.

Ok, so that's my abuse. Now on to my lingering issue...

The problem I am having is entirely physical:

I am having muscle spasms/twitches seemingly everywhere in my body, in seemingly random locations. The best way I can think to describe it is my arm, or leg, or feet/hands, will just have a singular spasm or twitch all of a sudden on its own. It's a fleeting twitch only lasting a second. Unfortunately this happens every minute to every few minutes or so, and it's been constant for one full month now and it's really freaking me out.

In addition to the minor twitches, I also get the feeling of muscles "pulsing" within my thighs or buttocks on occasion.

The twitching is relatively minor, but what's horrible is it is constant, it's everywhere, and it happens entirely on its own. I notice it more when I am at rest, like if I'm at my desk at work or when I'm laying in bed at night.

When I go for a jog it goes away. (I don't think it actually "goes away" but while jogging or moving around I'm actively giving my muscles commands which seems to over-ride the twitching... so I don't notice it. Once I'm back at my desk, or laying in bed, I immediately notice it happening again)

I don't feel any muscle weakness, or stiffness. I don't feel depressed or lethargic (I didn't ever feel "anxious" either, but now this twitching has made me anxious I guess, for fear it's permanent). I haven't noticed any changes in my weight, appetite, voice, etc.... it's just the twitching while my muscles are "at rest" with seemingly no other symptoms.

Also, I read a lot about "brain zaps". I don't think I'm having that because my head feels fine. I certainly am not having a "zap" feeling in my brain when I get these spasms/twitches, and I haven't had any head-aches either.

I believe the medical term for what I'm experiencing is "fasciculation". I did not have constant fasciculation's prior to my MDMA abuse, I did however get it occasionally when falling asleep. But I think that is hypnic jerks and they are totally normal. These fasciculation's are new, happen during both day and night, and so far seem permanent.

So that's my story... now for the questions I'm pretty scared to ask...

Have I caused permanent damage to the axons in my brain?

Will these fasciculations go away eventually?

Could it just be depleted magnesium from my abuse? Or more permanent brain damage?

In the past 5 days I have started taking 5HTP and Magnesium Glycinate. But so for nothing has changed, I still get the fasciculations all the time.

Any advice or help appreciated. Sorry, I'm a little freaked out. But if news is bad Id rather hear it straight.

Thanks in advance. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Firstly let me welcome you to Bluelight :)

I am sorry that you first post is because of your troubles associated with a substance. I know that google and even this section will tell you that the dosage you were taking is ridiculously high (it is pretty high tbh) but it is not the end of the world and in some areas it would be deemed as regular usage.

Your only three weeks from your last dose so the twitches are not that unusual (the longer you use at high amounts the worse the effects can become or they can last longer) - have you tried a potassium supplement ? Try that and see if it helps but even if you don't then give yourself some time and I'm certain that the twitching will decrease.

Bear

Hey guys, thanks for the reply, and thanks for the welcome to BL.

I have started taking Magnesium Glycinate (200mg each day with breakfast and then with dinner for a total of 400mg each day)

I also have starting taking 100mg of 5HTP before bed each night.

I also have started to take a multivitamin with lunch, plus I've started going to the gym. I started the gym and multivitamins and magnesium last Friday, so 5 days ago I started the supplements and gym.

So far, nothing has changed with the spasms/twitching I'm experiencing for the last month.

When I go the gym I like it because while I'm running on the tread mill or on the elliptical machine, I am actively using my arms and legs, and while running my symptoms completely go away. It is only once I return to a "resting" position (laying in bed, reclining in a chair, or sitting at my work desk) once I return to any position where my muscles are at rest.... it starts again. So it's like jogging and/or using my muscles over-rides the twitching, at least until I am at rest again.

It's weird.

I have been Google-ing my symptoms and I think the technical term is actually "Myoclonus" and not fasciculations like I said above.

It's just like when the twitch happens, my arm, or leg, or foot, or whatever will just activate and spasm all of a sudden on its own. Sometimes I'll get a more major body wide spasm. They are fleeting spasms, only lasting a millisecond, but unfortunately they occur every few minutes or so, all day, all night.

I'm really worried this is a result of my MDMA abuse. I really hope it's not permanent. I guess I will give it a few more weeks of supplements and workouts, and see if my symptom subsides.

If not, I will have to suck it up and admit my mistakes to my DR and see what he says.

If ANYONE here had this issue and over-came it, it would really make me feel better, or if anyone has any advice.

Thanks

Still having issues today. Especially when I went to the movie theatre and was cramped in a small seat a while. My legs would spasm every several minutes while sitting.

I went to the gym later on, and as usual, it went away while I was running and doing weights.

But now I'm back "at rest" in bed again, and my legs are occasionally twitching again. This is driving me nuts.

Has anyone here dealt with this and had any luck with it getting better?

I intended to abstain from MDMA obviously but I'm worried I might have a permenent problem here.

Hey buddy,

While I can't necessarily add much that hasn't already been said, do consider that dwelling on these issues and overthinking them can in ways potentiate the symptoms. The more you think about them, the more you're likely to notice them. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it to a point where they're entirely psychosomatic - you only have the symptoms because you think you do (not that I necessarily believe this is your situation though).

Also similarly to the above, stress and anxiety etc can 'cause' facial muscle twitches like those around the eye. When I've had a relentless twitch below my right eye, I wasn't thinking brain damage ;)

Just some food for thought :)

The same feeling

Hey I have this for 3years also muscle weakness and floating dizzy sensation..It's hard to enjoy life :(

Hi there. The nerves use up about 20% of the bodies oxygen even though they are less than 2% of your bodies mass. When the nerves are compressed the arteries running inside the nerves themselves are compressed and the nerves get cranky because they're running low on oxygen, this is not damaging (a nerve needs to be significantly deprived of oxygen for many many hours to incur damage) but this can set off nerve fasciculations.

There are kinds of serotonin receptors on the smooth muscle walls of blood vessels that when activated dilate or constrict blood vessels, I theorize that after MDMA use the serotonin is off balance and the blood vessels in the nerves are too constricted. This makes the nerves really vulnerable to compression and hence fasciculations, the nerves get irritated easier. Once again this isn't damage so don't worry yourself silly. It's common to get these twitches when laying down because of pressure on the nerves. This is really common with chronic deconditioning with amphetamine abuse can cause.

I really really recommend exercise, especially cardio but exercising every corner of your body will generate new arteries and nerves. Sleep is really important to recover as well, if you have trouble sleeping I recommend mindfulness meditation

Last edited:
Something that strikes me as I read your post is that you are assuming a cause & effect relationship between MDMA and your health concerns. What about the possibility that you have a completely unrelated neuromuscular condition? Whether benign or serious, short-term or long-term, you really would be best served by seeing a physician. It would really be too bad if you have something of a different nature that could be medically cured, halted or slowed in early stages rather than spending time self-diagnosing and self-treating based on Google and an internet forum. Google is not your friend for health issues such as you are experiencing. More often than not it will lead to self mis-diagnosis or assumption of worst case scenarios.

I've been having brain zaps for 6 months after a long weekend of serious abuse, from what I've
read it takes ALOT to permanently damage your brain and even tho
it can take a while to heal it will eventually get better. eat well, exercise, no drugs and cut down on booze and it will all eventually subside. sleep is key also - you're not alone with this !! keep going

Hey everyone,

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond to my post.

Squarerootof23:
Yes, I do have an obsessive personality. However usually I obsess about fun stuff, like my job, video games, Phish concerts, or sex with my girlfriend. This obsession is a little more scary since it is health related and I can't control it, but I'm trying not to let it ruin the holidays.

This started happening on Nov 18th. I remember because I was in a work meeting first thing in the AM that day and I noticed my legs occasionally twitching. So it has been just under a month and I have not had a single symptom free day since then.

It did not start after a "heavy night", in fact, when it started on the 18th of Nov my last MDMA use prior to that was Nov 7th (.2g to start .2g more 4 hours later)... I foolishly did MDMA again the 20th (.3 g, all tested with reagent) but I have not had MDMA since then.

Hardlife123:
I am sorry you have been dealing with a similar issue for 3 years. That really sounds terrible. However I don't have any muscle weakness or stiffness, or dizziness or light head feeling. For me it is just the twitches, mostly in my legs, and only while at rest in a chair or in bed. When I'm actively using my muscles, it goes away. Did something specifically bring your issues on?

Cotcha Yankinov:
Thanks for that information, that's really interesting. Yes, as of the last week I have been visiting the gym each day. I alternate what I do at the gym each day. I do about an hour of fairly intense cardio on an elliptical machine one day and work up a sweat, and then I just walk on a treadmill at a medium pace the next day. I don't want to do crazy cardio and burn myself out so that why I alternate what I do each day. Going to gym has made me feel a lot better, and I work at a desk job so the gym has made me feel good mentally since it gives me a break from the twitching for an hour.

I have also stopped drinking alcohol for the time being (wasn't a massive drinker, and only water if I was using MDMA) and I have stopped smoking marijuana for the time being. I have been an on again off again pot smoker since college (over a decade). However until this resolves I've stopped for now.

I have also been taking Magnesium Glycinate each night with dinner, I guess maybe it helps a little, but I suppose it could be placebo, or more likely it's the gym helping. I also have decided to start taking a multivitamin, and I will continue that for the foreseeable future.

I hope you're right about artery/nerve compression, that sounds a lot better (and reversible) than what I was fearing.

Thanks again for your response.

Vancbc:
Yes, I have made an appointment with my General MD in early January. I am due for a regular checkup anyways, so if this has not resolved by then, I will tell him about my MDMA abuse then last 7-8 months and explain what has started happening to me. I imagine if he finds anything suspect he would refer me to a Neuro MD. If it does go away or improves greatly by the time my appointment comes, I will still go since I'm due for a checkup anyways.

Robmtach22:
Wow, 6 months with brain zaps? I'm really sorry to hear that, it sounds really awful.

I'm fairly certain what is happening to me is not brain zaps. I have read a lot about the zaps here in BL, and I don't think that is what's happening to me. I don't feel anything wrong with my head or my brain. I don't feel any zaps, or pops when falling asleep, headaches, or really anything in my head when the twitches happen. I also don't feel depression or anxiety (well, I'm anxious about this twitching that has started, but otherwise I'm not usually a hugely anxious person).

Its just like my leg suddenly makes this subtle spasm on its own. Sometimes it's my left leg, sometimes my right. Occasionally my arms or a finger, but mostly the legs. The twitching is not so severe that I like cant drive my car, or like jerk the steering wheel, nor do my legs spasms way off to the side... it's more of a subtle jerk, and you would likely not notice it unless you're watching my leg closely. However I feel it and they never used to do this, and it drives me nuts.

The good news is... within the last few days I have actually had a few hours here and there where the twitching is very minimal, or even stopped for a while. It's happening again right now in my legs as I type this unfortunately, but I'm hopeful this is a sign things are improving.

December 20th will be exactly a month since my last MDMA use, and I hope with more gym visits and healthy food I'll improve, and eventually it will go away. If there has been improvement it's been minor, but I'll take that over it getting worse!

One thing that's frustrating is whenever I find an example of someone online who describes what I'm feeling and mentions MDMA use.... they never respond to their own post to say if their symptoms resolved. They usually disappear from the internet so to speak. So I will be sure to update this thread regardless of what happens with me. At least that way if others come across my thread via Google, I will have came back to say what happened to me in the end.

Thanks again everyone.

-IcedCoffee

Oh, and I've given up caffeine too. That one has been HARD.

But the decaf coffee I bought tastes OK at least.

Ok, so please don't take this as dismissive, but simply the advice from someone who saw a lot of Doctors and did get some benefit from it...

You sound young, reasonably smart, and well educated--you're probably still on your parents health insurance if I had to guess? If not, you probably have some kind of health insurance?

So please, use it. You'll almost definitely be glad you did. Whatever happens is confidential from your parents if you're over 18. If the doctor gives you pills you don't have to take them. But getting an opinion from some with some knowledge, in person, from someone who has physically examined you, is worth the time and effort if you're really concerned about your body.

Eating healthy, continuing to exercise, and abstaining from MDMA for a period of time will likely "cure" whatever symptoms you're experiencing, but it's probably still worth going to a doctor, even if they're just going to tell you that.

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately I am still having the twitches and spasms. They have not become worse, and the twitching is still my only symptom. So I guess that's good that it hasn't worsened.

I called my DR again and I got my appointment moved up from January to next week.

Tomorrow will be exactly one month since my last MDMA use... and just over a month since I first noticed the twitching and spams.

I'm glad it has not become worse, but it hasn't gone away either. Ive never had any depression after MDMA use in the past nor any long term come downs, but the constant presence of the twitches has started to make me feel a little depressed. Especially the last week or so. Ive started to feel bummed out mostly because it won't go away, however when I'm at the gym or out being active with friends, I go back to feeling like my normal self, happy and talkitive. But once I'm back at my desk or laying in bed, or in any position "at rest" I start to feel the twitching and I'm reminded I have this problem and I start to feel down again.

When I see my DR next week I'm going to come clean, explain my drug abuse, and request some blood work to rule out anything serious. They have a lab right there below my DR's office so I'll be able to have the exam and testing all done in one day.

I'll report back and post what he tells me.

Thanks again to everyone who posted their advice. I really like this website, I just wish I found it before I screwed up.

If these fasciculations are at all posturally dependent (I.e they happen in your legs when your sitting down or various places when you're lying down) then this is definitely a sign of compression neuropathy and that there is no permanent damage, don't let the anxiety get to you ;) Twitches in the legs when sitting down is very common because the nerves are really prone to mild compression when sitting. If you've been investigating you might be freaking out over fasciculations being sometimes present before onset of ALS and such but trust me I wouldn't worry about this. It's compression neuropathy that may have been worsened by blood vessel problems via serotonin dysregulation and the fallout. Keep exercising <3

I will, I promise, the excersing feels good.

I don't think it's ALS, lol, I've read several stories about people who have ALS, and all the other symptoms, and as terrible as ALS sounds I don't think that is my situation. I don't have severe enough symptoms for it to be something like that. (like I don't have any muscle pain , or weakness, or loss of coordination, or changes in my voice)

It's just the spasms/twitching when at rest. And yes, it does seem worse when sitting or laying down. Going for walks or the gym or playing basketball and it's like I'm my old self. But once I'm back sitting or lying down... the fasciculations and myclonus kicks back in.

Supposing it is due to "compression neuropathy that may have been worsened by blood vessel problems via serotonin dysregulation and the fallout" ...

How long would you venture to guess I'll be dealing with this? (being an otherwise healthy mid 30's male who will abstain and go to the gym and eat better?) it's already been about a month.

Also, I know I need to see the DR, and I will I promise, I was just wondering what your opinion would be.

Thanks Cotcha Yankinov

There is an enzyme that your body uses to make serotonin called TPH, this enzyme can be knocked down for many weeks to months after MDMA (some people seem to be more vulnerable), serotonin regulates many things so the fallout could be even outside of blood vessels and more related to nerve irritation, I have given this nerve irritation theory some thought as well and I think it is a good theory (I have posturally dependent fasciculations, even in my face and neck sometimes but I hardly pay attention to the more common leg ones, there was also another blue lighter and MDMA abuser who had these similar problems of posturally dependent fasciculations/myoclonus). Benign fasciculation syndrome and the overlapping (possibly contributing) mental issues are sometimes treated with SSRIs http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812734/

Eventually you should consider peripheral neuropathy problems (lower lumber neuropathy/radiculopathy, locationally similar to sciatica, piriformis aka fat wallet syndrome is a common one for sitting) if it doesn't get better in a couple months. I bet you your sciatic nerve is getting irritated. For me personally I have been found to have compression neuropathy all over the place (to the point of considering surgery for some sites of compression), so this problem of fasciculations seems to be possibly not solely a problem with serotonin but (for whatever reason) an unmasked neuropathy (that might've been building with years of bad posture/desk sitting), and for whatever reason after MDMA it is revealed. My compression is to the point where arteries themselves are getting pinched so it's not just a serotonin thing for me personally. My nerves are complaining about lack of oxygen. My key point is it probably wasn't the MDMA that caused this by itself, most people get classic nerve irritation/compression fasciculations just from laying/sitting down (and they resolve when they walk around) but for whatever reason the nerves are even touchier after amphetamines. This could have to do with increased inflammation after MDMA. This could take a couple months to calm down.

But like I said if it doesn't calm down in a couple months and it's still happening when you're sitting I would chalk it up to problems with your sciatic nerve (concerning the legs). Where your problem lies might be from the vertebrae radiculopathy style (L5-S1) or piriformis (can try stretches for piriformis syndrome, I know I certainly would, it's very common for problems to arise when sitting).

By the way this compression neuropathy will not be visible on a nerve conduction study because nerve conduction studies only find permanent damage. Ive heard it argued this is the main reason why compression neuropathy is under diagnosed. But many many people have had problems with peripheral neuropathy type symptoms after MDMA and have evaded diagnosis (of real neuropathy/disease) so it's kind of a mystery, we can't say for certain what it is, but personally stretching has helped me.

TL;DR if you have peripheral neuropathy/ radiculopathy I'm not sure if this will get better without stretching and such, if it's due to blood vessel dysregulation or temporary inflammation you should see improvements in a couple months or possibly after your body starts making serotonin on its own again. Hyper excitability of the nerve is the main problem. I know there is reduced bloodflow to the front part of the brain for 6 weeks after MDMA, maybe there are other bloodflow reductions related to the nervous systems. Anyways they aren't the end of the world so don't let it get ya down, it's called "benign" fasciculation syndrome for a reason ;)

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I just want to take a minute and write an update, and say that over the last 2-3 days I have actually had symptom free periods lasting several hours (mostly in the morning) with zero or only occasional/slight twitches or fasciculations.

For me that is actually a noticeable improvement. This past month has been almost constant whenever sitting/laying down.

I have completely abstained from cannabis, alcohol, and caffeine for the last two weeks (and MDMA obviously, last use being Nov. 20th). I have also been going to the gym and doing pretty intense cardio every other day, and hour long walks on the days in between. So essentially... I've been getting off my lazy but each day and being much more active. I've been doing lots of stretching afterwards too and some push-ups.

I'm hoping this is a good sign, even though the twitches and fasciculations still happen, I'll take any sign of improvement!

I've also lost 4 pounds (I'm from the US, I don't know what that is in kilo's) and I used the free blood pressure machine at the pharmacy nearby my house the other day and my blood pressure has dropped 10mmHg! So that's nice to see. Not that I was overweight, I'm 5 foot 11 inches and weighed 180 pounds, so shedding a few lb's won't hurt.

Anyways, I see the DR tomorrow. I'm going to tell him everything. I'll post what he says.

Thanks BL, and thanks to everyone who responded to my posts.

Good luck with the doctor tomorrow. I am glad your situation is improving. Keep doing what your doing and i am sure you will get back to normal.

So I saw my DR early this morning.

He listened to my story, seemed surprised I had tried MDMA since he has been my DR for years. However he didn't lecture me about it, and when I told him about my cannabis use he actually said "well that's fine just don't over do it, and you shouldn't smoke it. Smoking anything is bad for your lungs. Make cookies instead"

I said I had stopped all that crap for the time being, and stopped drinking beer too. Then he said "well heck, I drink beer! 1 drink daily can actually be good for blood pressure. Again, just don't over do it."

So that was all kind of funny, and he made me feel relaxed right off the bat.

He checked my blood pressure (said it was really good) and he gave me my regular exam. He also checked my reflexes all over with a little hammer thing and said everything was normal, and checked my lungs, eyes, etc.. the usual stuff. All seemed normal he said.

He made me walk around on the balls of my feet hold my arms straight out with with these weights. I dunno what that was about but he said my walking and movements were "normal"

He said based on how my symptoms were "presenting" he didn't think it was anything serious like Parkinsons or ALS etc., he said unfortunately he has had some patients with those diseases in the past (he is in his mid 60's), and he said my presentation was nothing like that. He said it could be from my drug abuse or even anxiety, and he wanted to do multiple blood labs to check on several other unlikely conditions, but he wanted to be sure.

He ordered a CBC, Kidney check, liver check, HIV, Heavy Metals toxicity panel, Lyme Disease, vitamin B12 and vitamin D, as well as checking minerals like potassium, magnesium, and muscle enzymes, and lastly checking my cholesterol and blood sugar levels.

They took 9 vials of blood! And some pee too, lol...

Luckily I have good medical insurance through my job so it didn't cost me anything. Also their blood lab is right below his office so I got it all done in one visit.

He told me not to worry, that we would figure it out and it was important to remember he doubted it would turn out serious. He said he would call me himself once all the results were back. So that was re-assuring.

I'm sure I won't have any results until next week with the Holidays and everything.

Take care everyone. Thanks again.

Wow, your doctor was really thorough... I predict your vitamin D will come back low! B12 is really important for nerves, that's probably the main one I would've checked. Have a merry Christmas :)