• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Word of the Day!

Captain.Heroin

Bluelight Crew
This thread's about dedicating a bit of our time to learn a word that isn't likely to be in our vernacular.

cairn
/kern/
noun

1) a mound of rough stones built as a memorial or landmark, typically on a hilltop or skyline.

2) a small terrier of a breed with short legs, a longish body, and a shaggy coat.

Origin; Scottish Gaelic "carn" to Late Middle English "cairn"

nonplussed
/nänˈpləst/
adjective

1) (of a person) surprised and confused so much that they are unsure how to react.

farinaceous

A farinaceous dish refers to dishes made from pasta, noodles, rice, polenta or gnocchi. Farinaceous commodities are highly nutritious and provide energy and dietary fibre and they include starchy flours, cereals, pulses, starchy vegetables and even parts of trees.

Victorious

Characteristic of or expressing a sense of victory or fulfillment: a victorious cheer.

That was the word that most defined my day.
But per your suggestion, I'd chosen the following:

Yeniseian

1. the Uralic language spoken by the Yeniseian
  2. a member of one of the groups living in the Yenisei river valley in western Siberia

Last edited:
incorrigible

/inˈkôrəjəb(ə)l/
adjective

1. (of a person or their tendencies) not able to be corrected, improved, or reformed.

(the word can also be used as a noun, to describe someone who is generally incorrigible)

I chose this word as it is confusing; it sounds like encourage-able, though it's clearly an antonym of this. :)

Obliged

Verb: o·bliged, o·blig·ing, o·blig·es

To make indebted or grateful: I am obliged to you for your gracious hospitality.

coterie
/ˈkōdərē,ˌkōdəˈrē/
noun

1. a small group of people with shared interests or tastes, especially one that is exclusive of other people.

cowp

pronounced (cow-p) Irish or ulster scots word meaning to fall over

banjax
ˈbandʒaks/
verbinformal
past tense: banjaxed; past participle: banjaxed
ruin, incapacitate, or break.
"the kettle's banjaxed"

yelp

1. a sharp high-pitched cry (especially by a dog)
  2. bark in a high-pitched tone; "the puppies yelped"

chortle

A noisy, gleeful laugh:

Origin

1871: coined by Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass; probably a blend of chuckle and snort.

disgruntle

verb (used with object), disgruntled, disgruntling.
1.to put into a state of sulky dissatisfaction; makediscontent.

hidebound

adjective

unwilling or unable to change because of tradition or convention.

[h=1]labyrinthine[/h]
[h=3][/h]

adjective

1.of, relating to, or resembling a labyrinth.

2.complicated; tortuous:the labyrinthine byways of modern literature.

Ooh, nice thread! And there are some great words coming through. I could certainly be described as being loquacious which brings me to my contribution to word of the day - when I was a sales rep many moons ago, I could have been described as being

Ubiquitous - to be seen to be everywhere.