• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Question What book changed your life?

Cant believe I forgot to mention The Brothers Karamazov. This book is kind of a bitch, not because it's not good, but because it takes a LONG time to read. I finished it a couple weeks ago, and it's in the category of books I wish I'd read a lot earlier in life...

puddled said:
"She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb.
As the name suggests, its about a girl who lives through many tragic events- and how she becomes stronger. It touched me when my life was in chaos. And i think it was the first time i realised i didnt have to exsist for anyone but me.

Excellent book...one of my choices as well.

Another one for me is Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons...this book inspired me to write, which, in turn, changed my life. I started writing because of this novel, and now I'm pursuing it as a career. GREAT book. It also helped me realize how trivial some things are...and how much some *ordinary* people can suffer and have remarkable stories (sort of in a Forest Gump kinda way)

OH and a poem that changed my life is by Sheil SIlverstein...titled something like "Turn OUt the Light" I just know the last two lines are "and maybe the way to make everything right, is for god just to reach up and turn out the light" For some reason I just love that, and the first time I read it I was in like 3rd grade

While it might not have totally changed my life, The Celestine Prophecies showed me that there are others out there who think like me. It put forth some excellent ideas that I have since incorpirated into my daily life.

Sheil SIlverstein rocks! I actually got to meet him once a long time ago. Quite an interesting fellow.

And speaking of Aldous Huxley, I throughly enjoyed reading Pala(is that what its called). Didn't care much for the way it ended though.

journey to the end of the night by louis-ferdinand celine.

its the kind of book you can open to any page, read a paragraph and feel like youve just witnessed something beautiful on those pages. ive probably read it a hundred times.

All of Hunter S. Thompson's books.. Especially Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas

..also The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

"The Book Of the Die" By Luke Rhinehart.

Helps to make me realise that life is one big game, that one mans truth is another mans illusion, but also that it doesnt matter in the slightest. I think it changed my life a fair bit but im always on a path that I cant see, and that probably leads nowhere, its just that now I can sit down on this path and make a castle out of pebbles and not care..... and then roll the dice and run accross the field.

Thanks for the thread

I love these book threads, finding a good piece of literature or any thing to read is such a challenge for me. I love when people share what theive read..

i picked up Sex education and read it cover to cover in a few hours. i COULD NOT PUT THAT BOOK DOWN..

thankyou for suggesting it. I loved it. :)

I'll put in another vote forGödel, Escher, Bach.
The book has a number of very interesting ideas about consciousness and intelligence presented in a very rational and clever way. It really inspired me when I was first getting interested in mathematics and logic.

Just read Dune by Frank Herbert and immediately went out and bought the other 5 books. I am on book 3 now (only been a few days). These books are a must read, they cover everything from philosophy, religion, politics, family, love, quantum mechanics, and everything in between. Every page is filled with insight. I recomend these books to everybody.

After the ecstacy, the laundry, by Jack Kornfield.

A basic 'how to' book on buddhist philosophy that helped me get my shit together, big time.

Um probably Princess, its about and saudi arabian princess and all the shit she goes through like he best friend being killed by her brother cause she was seen with another man, its really good.

Last edited:
Why Do they Eat like that? - A book about vegetarianism. After I read it I decided to become a vegetarian. I can say I'm really happy with my decision and the facts in the book were very interesting.

I can't say any book has completely changed my life, but Herman Hesse's Siddhartha has had the most influence on me in the past year or so.

While the protagonist's journey of self-discovery didn't give me any real concrete answers to the "big" questions I find myself constantly pondering, it has definitely strengthened my resolve to come to know myself and how I fit in the world. Oh yeah, and it's beautifully written too :D

Ayn Rand and Leonard Peikoff's non-fiction work. Especially Rand's book on epistemology (can't remember the name of it right now).

i suppose every book i've read has changed my life in some way, but none very drastically.

That said, i never really had a cultural identity until i read 'mukiwa' by Peter Godwin ; 'The great Betrayal' by Ian Smith and 'Of Land and Spirits' by Alan Thrush. Ian Smiths book really opened my eyes up to the 'sins of the fathers'.

Camus

L'Etranger

that is, The Stranger

somehow it found its ways into my hands in eighth grade, and its only been this semester that i've revisited it.....