• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Anyone else hum/sing uncontrollably on stims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goback2sleep

Greenlighter
This is the ONLY negative effect I have from Adderall/Dexedrine on a VERY annoyingly consistent basis. I will literally hum or sing (sometimes a tune I just heard... sometimes straight nonsense) until my throat hurts. I'll tell myself out loud "stop humming damnit!!" only a minute later as my mind goes to focus on something else I find myself doing it again.

Ill hum around the house... In the car... In stores... at work... It doesn't matter where I am.

Does anyone else do this? Is this a common side effect? And what have you done to knock it the eff off?!?!

Last edited:
Lol, I thought "hum sing" was going to be slang for masturbation or something on the menu of your local Chinese restaurant.....but no. Um, you're on stims dude you're gonna suffer from some sort of repetitive behaviour like humming singing cleaning the grout between the floor tiles in your bathroom or working on the same two bar drum loop all day or whatever. Often you think you're being productive but usually, when the dust settles, you notice you've just been busily doing fuck all. It's much worse on meth and other strong stims.

Um, you're on stims dude you're gonna suffer from some sort of repetitive behaviour like humming singing cleaning the grout between the floor tiles in your bathroom or working on the same two bar drum loop all day or whatever.

That was my thought exactly. Stimulants often involve the repetition of some sort of activity, often one which requires minimal thought or conscious action. Like humming, for example.

Stereotypy. It's a completely normal side-effect of stimulant use. At therapeutic doses, though, it shouldn't be causing you much of a problem at all, so perhaps consider lowering your dosage.

Thanks for the terminology hexagon - I was wondering if it was referred to as anything. Unfortunately, I'm not on a very high dose to begin with (atleast I don't think it is): 15mg Dexedrine 3x a day - and yes there are days I take more - i.e. when I'm stuck working 14+ hour days - but it won't reach beyond 75mg/day total. I've also been on these for 2+ years for cognitive issues thanks to Stage 3 cancer at 24y/o that continuously got worse as the years went on. I got 3 of the strongest chemo drugs available, radiation, 7 surgeries and an ongoing hormone therapy that limits estrogen in my body (and my brain which I feel shouldn't be limited to anything my body naturally creates).

Anyway I guess I was worried that maybe chemo fried my brain or some shit - but as long as this is considered normal as a side effect then ive got peace until my next appointment where I'll bring it up and see what they think.

i knew people did repetitive shit like cleaning and whatnot - just didn't know uncontrollable humming was one of them!

I've done that. I've also heard certain songs over and over.... knowing damn well there was no actual music playing

Lol I am humming while reading this. I feel like it's the frequency I an vibrating at if that makes any sense. I also work on art pieces compulsively on stimulants and I find the more inspired I am the more intense the frequency I hum.

Haha same. Although, since I've slipped up and no one knows, I find myself having to be very disciplined in not doing such things. Or at least catching myself real quick when I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.