What kind of music were you into in your mid to late teens (15-19)?

StarOceanHouse

Bluelight Crew
In high school, I was mostly into ska and punk rock. Bands like Bad Religion, Pennywise, NOFX, Less than Jake, Hepcat, Skankin Pickle..etc. At around 19 is when I started getting into EDM.

what about you?

By 15 I was in the middle of my rap/hip hop years. By 17 I was starting to get into Rock from my youth and stuff I liked the sound of that was current, but also what my parents were always listening to when I was young. Some electronic stuff was in the mix. Had an obsession over Juno Reactor, Orbital, Aphex Twin.. By 19 I was full out indie fgt.

Hai Laika bb

I liked Beatles, Dylan, etc

Jam band scene

Hip hop and rap of the era

Sounds like we were going through pretty similar stuff at that awkward age. I wonder if we would have hooked up back then if we went to the same high school.. Probably.

15: Rap/hip hop especially the overtly political kind, Public Enemy, etc. Kind of embarrasses me now LOL although I guess I can appreciate the artistry, though my taste in hip hop (which is not at all my favoruite genre) is rather different.'

19: Obscure pnkish stuff from the 80s to early 90s, otherwise pretty much all I'd listen to is Grateful Dead shows from before, or close to, when I was born. (I was never really into the Brent-and-afterwards sound although of course there are a few standout shows, but I mainly was into 69-72, count it part of my tendency towards a sort of reactionary nostalgia.)

I believe it was Chesterton who said that we all feel a temporal nostalgia towards the decade of our birth.

Mostly grungey stuff. Nirvana, Alice in Chains, STP, Primus. I guess you could argue some of them arent really grunge bands. Also was into Sublime and Goldfinger.

this is what last fm is for

but since the new update ruined the ability to find anything :(

15-17 i was really into riot grrl - bikini kill le tigre bratmobile distillers, other girl lead rock/dance groups

18-19 i was living back in new orleans and super poor with no computer, so i basically listened to nothing but wwoz, whatever live shows i managed to get to, and a few mixtapes i managed to hold on to. a boyfriend gave me a copy of Loveage on tape then, and i listened to that tape until it literally burned out.

eta:

NSFW:

top artists at 16

2ed5jm0.png

ziwv7k.png

1zmo9r6.png

2rclv1f.png

Last edited:
Started off with all the psych stuff from the 60's, Floyd, Dead, Airplane which although I still enjoy now that I'm 40. Once I finaly heard the Velvet Underground in my mid/late teens they opened up a whole new sound which didn't have to have a 15 minute guitar solo to get stoned to and they also got me into the world of drone music which can be heavy as fuck. Still love See Emily Play

That's pretty much when I got into metal. Mainly black metal from age 14, with some thrash and hardcore, but pretty much black metal. Started getting into goa trance when I was 17 and a bit of hip hop (mainly Eminem) around then, and towards age 19, more rave stuff (hard trance, hard house) and psytrance. From 19 until about 25 or so I basically didn't touch any non-electronic stuff before I remembered how fucking good metal was. :)

I'm still just 18, but when I was still in highschool (freshman-junior yrs) I listened to a lot of death metal. I still occasionally listen to some metal, or hardcore stuff, but I've chilled out a lot since then.

Well, in Manchesrer in the 80s so whatever was on at the Hacienda while we were on our £20 Doves (when 1 was your night sorted).

I was big into 90s rock in high school. Sublime, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Blind Melon, that kind of stuff.

I was big into 90s rock in high school. Sublime, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Blind Melon, that kind of stuff.

Same. Also listened to some AC/DC, Metallica, and Guns 'n Roses. Mainly grunge though

Midnight Oil, Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains. Public Image Limited. Bob Marley. Peter Tosh. Neil Young. When i got to 18 it was Nirvana (before Bleach had even come out, we were buying singles from the Sub Pop singles club) Mudhoney, TAD, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Agent Orange, Descendants.Poison Idea. David Bowie, The Birthday Party, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Too many to mention

I still listen to it all today. Those records are worth a fucking shitload now. Especially my Nirvana collection. Sitting on a fucking goldmine of vinyl.

When I was that age I was listening to lots of Zeppelin, Floyd, classic rock, some rap (mostly 90's shit like Eminem etc.), but I always listened to a bit of everything cause I used to play music.