Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Diphenhydramine 550mg - First time - Crazy Trip

dudemanbro

Greenlighter
So I read that taking quite a bit of unisom sleep gels or benadryl would make you trip balls. Obviously I wanted to try it, and I found a bottle of 50mg unisom in my dad's kitchen. In a hurry I grabbed a handful and shoved it into my backpack to take the next night at my mom's.

The next day I was really nervous/excited as I had never done psychedelics or tripped. I convinced one of my friends to come over and trip sit me and we told our parents we were "doing homework." My mom said she would be leaving to go to a football game in about 30 minutes. I took all 11 thinking we'd be safe.

In about 5 minutes another one of my friends said he was coming over to hang with us. He got there in about 10 minutes and things were going pretty chill. I told him what I took and that'd I'd probably be tripping balls soon.

My mom yelled and told us dinner was ready, so we all three went into the kitchen and ate. During the meal I started feeling sensations all over my body. It felt like I was just really stoned. My mom told us she wasn't going to leave and I didn't think anything of it. After dinner I told them I was going to go back to my room. I tried to stand up and it was one of the hardest things I'd ever done.

Eventually we all three made it to my room and we all sat in my bed, me in the middle. I told them I felt amazing. I remember them poking my back and it tingling all over and I kept asking them to stop but I just kept feeling pokes and it started to really hurt. I stood up and stumbled into my closet and started hysterically laughing with them. They knew I was gone and thought it was hilarious. I started walking around my room and tripped over a guitar hero guitar and thought it was super hilarious. I realised colors were blending together and things looked so weird.

One of my buddies was asking me who I was and I couldn't understand him until he said "what is your name." That was the last thing I remember before I blacked out.

I remember small glimpses of the first trip sitter walking out of my room, my other friend saying "dude if your mom comes in you're screwed," my mom came in and said something and looked me in the eyes and started to freak out. She was extremely confused and said "what is wrong with your eyes?" I was shocked that she was in my room and I went to the bathroom to look in the mirror. I looked at my eyes and they looked fine to me. So I told her I was fine and went and sat on my bed. She kept standing there staring at my eyes and it was really creeping me out so I laid down and ignored her.

I remember seeing her and my friend leave the room to talk. Then I remember my dad walking into my room and looking at me and saying "Yeah he's definitely on something." They all kept asking me what I took and I could not understand the question. I was extremely confused. My dad took me and sat me down in multiple rooms asking me what I took and where I got it. Eventually we were all in the living room and they said we were going to the hospital. I was so confused and didn't know what was going on. I remember backing out in the car and seeing my friend leave on his moped.

Then I was on a hospital bed. The nurse said he had put some morphine in my IV to sedate me and calm my rapid heart beat. I was so confused and thought everyone was over reacting. I was convinced I was 100% okay and just tripping. He brought this stuff to put on my lips because they were really dry and chapped. The nurse then asked "Where are you?, What month is it?, What grade are you in?, What school do you go to?" I had a very hard time answering these questions because I got really nervous and I thought I had to act sober so no one would know I was tripping.

I just remember every one looking at me and talking about me. Then I remember everyone leaving the room and the nurse asking me to pee in this plastic container and I tried but it was so difficult. Eventually I was able to pee and it was so relieving.

I kept looking at my phone and seeing how blurry it was. I would pick it up and look at it and then put it back down just to pick it back up again.

At one point Someone came in and told us we had been admitted to a room. This nurse started wheeling me out on the bed I was sitting in and we went through the hospital, and up an elevator on it.

We arrived in my room and I don't remember much else but people told me to get sleep and I went to sleep.

I woke up the next morning really confused. My parents told me that I had OD'ed and my buddies texted me and told me how scary last night was. My parents told me that I wasn't making any sense last night and that I scared the hell out of them. It was very traumatizing for everyone involved.

Moral of the story is, no matter what people say on the internet, doses effect people differently. And this drug is not safe. You have almost zero control of yourself and no sense of reality. It was very scary.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_diphenhydramine
substancecode_deliriants
explevel_firsttime
exptype_negative
exptype_difficult
exptype_disaster
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Your parents surely accomplished the goal of protecting you from drug use dont they say notjing about the iv morphine? its 1000x worse than diphenhydramine which most likely doesnt make you addicted
i dont know how old you are but you have to confront them that their reaction was totally wrong

dudemanbro, while I am glad nothing particularly bad happened, I absolutely must recommend that you research drugs more in the future before trying them. This sort of reaction is completely normal with this dose of diphenhydramine, particularly because I'm guessing from your story that you're still somewhat young and will be sensitive to drugs especially if you've never tripped before. To be honest though, it doesn't sound like you were even really tripping that hard.... Everything you described, such as chapped lips and increased heart rate, are totally normal and expected at this dose, whereas the trip you described actually sounded quite weak. A doctor will call any recreational dose at all an overdose, and your parents will call it that because people with no knowledge of tripping tend to see delirium as a sign of toxicity, and the doctor likely reinforced their belief. Unfortunately, when taking drugs such as diphenhydramine for recreational purposes, delirium is a given and therefore it should never be done around people who care for you but are not prepared to witness you in that state; even if they would have been opposed to what you were going to do, this whole situation likely could have been avoided if you had told your parents what was going to happen beforehand. In the future, that's the kind of thing you might want to keep in mind before you decide when and where to trip.

However, I have to say that diphenhydramine seems fairly toxic to begin with, and is almost invariably disliked. It also is in no way psychedelic, if that's the kind of thing you're hoping for. Though I understand the desire to explore with hallucinogens especially when you're young and don't have access to other drugs, believe me when I say that diphenhydramine is not much better than having nothing. At the very least, do some research on DXM instead if you're going to be looking for an over-the-counter trip.

Your parents surely accomplished the goal of protecting you from drug use dont they say notjing about the iv morphine? its 1000x worse than diphenhydramine which most likely doesnt make you addicted
i dont know how old you are but you have to confront them that their reaction was totally wrong

I really don't think this was the case, truthfully. The way it was described makes it sound to me like they were only concerned with saving their child from an overdose, not just from keeping him off drugs in general. Given that they had absolutely no warning or prior knowledge about the situation, I would say that their reaction was completely understandable.

I did between 6-700 mg... The strangest experience.. Didn't feel euphoric... Trouble for me was walking, as I were walking while super drunk, and the itching... Surprisingly enough, it was hard falling asleep too...

Why the hell would they give you IV morphine when they suspected you were overdosed on some drug? Fix the problem with a very strong narcotic? And diphenhydramine makes opiets stonger! Could have led to respiratory problems. Anyway I am glad your are OK. Please be careful in the future. It is always wise to start with a small amount of a drug, especially if you have never done it before.

this is why its important not to do whatever you read without FULLY rsesearching , its important to be intelligent

Quite accurate portrayal of the likely effects of diphenhydramine abuse (which I've never tried, just speaking pharmacologically and anecdotally.) Medical/other healthcare professional students are actually taught:

Hot as a hare: increased body temperature
Blind as a bat: mydriasis (dilated pupils)
Dry as a bone: dry mouth, dry eyes, decreased sweat
Red as a beet: flushed face
Mad as a hatter: delirium

IV morphine is a most unlikely treatment, especially as opiates in general are potentiated by diphenhydramine.
Also, generally with a non-specific drug OD presenting in the ED, it is not uncommon to actually use naloxone to rule out opiates.
Perhaps OP is disremembering or was even lied to to encourage him to comply (as presumably he would look forward to IV morphine!)
There is a specific antidote for anticholinergic toxicity, physostigmine, which carries it's own risks.
Benzodiaepines would be used for sedation. Neuroleptics most of which carry anticholinergic side effects of their own would be avoided.
Phenbobarb for seizures if necessary, etc. Symotomatic treatment elsewise, including possible cardiac effects.
In other words, OP, don't do this.
Had you read many other online trip reports you'd see the unpleasant similarities.

Severe short term effects of massive amounts of diphenhydramine.... DO NOT TRY THIS!!

I'm a 20 year old female and I was taking Benadryl daily for about a week.... Over 1,000mg a day... And up to 1750mg. I was having severe insomnia and anxiety one night and then, started to have a full blown severe anxiety attack, which lead me to take more and more pills (50mg Benadryl capsules) without thinking about possible consequences. I finally realized just what I had done when my anxiety began to rest, at first beginning to focus on other things besides for my anxiety and then becoming extremely drowsy and confused, so I ran to the bathroom to make myself throw up. I thought this could possibly rid some of the antihistamine out of my system but I couldn't make anything come up. I layed in bed worrying, then became a zombie to the television which actually calmed me down a lot. I started to actually enjoy the feeling of the diphenhydramine flooding my body because I was so relaxed with no symptoms of anxiety what so ever! It was an escape from the stress of anxiety (which I deal with daily, everyday). Finally, a way to enjoy what's actually going on around me is what I thought to myself when on this Benadryl "trip". I fell asleep and woke up the next day... Thank god. I unfortunately found myself later that night taking another massive quantity of Benedryl to escape from the reality of major anxiety. Again, a wonderful escape is what occurred in my mind. I was relaxed and calm. Unfortunately, I took massive amounts of this, now I see it as a, toxin. I stopped taking it for a day and noticed blurred vision and severe fatigue with dizziness every time I tried to walk. At some points I got so dizzy that I couldn't see anything (it started with dots in my peripherals then moved in closer and closer to my line of vision in a short period of time and eventually covered my whole vision which caused me to fall). I went to the hospital and they found my blood pressure was extremely high when I was just laying down; 159/110. More symptoms I started to notice the second day after seizing this medication include difficulty urinating, constipation without pain (just couldn't go), and I noticed I was having trouble remembering things.... This really worried me..."could this have affected my memory or brain?" I thought to myself. A week after I stopped taking the horrible substance I noticed I could urinate and...stuff...easier. It's been a month or two now and my memory seems to be getting better. I don't find myself caught trying to remember things as much, it just comes to mind clearly most often. Though, I do have the same feeling trying to remember things only occasionally (about 4 times a week). I'm hoping my symptoms continue to improve. DPH messes with memory in fact I saw the effects of extremely high doses (1000mg-1750mg) everyday, for a little over a week... About 9 days. My advice.... Don't try it. This drug definitely affects your CNS and memory even after short term use !!!

how so? Are you saying its ok for children to use drugs? What if his parents hadnt found him because his "friends" would have sure enough left him to die if they didnt even call for help i dont know how people here raise their young ones(I dont really want to) but kids and drugs must be indiscrimpitly punished if that was my child hed still be in the hospital moved to a different far away place(drug contacts)and most importantly not allowed Any contact with anyone else except for when their out at school its called tough love do you want your kids to end up like yourself!? God forbid you have any

dudemanbro, while I am glad nothing particularly bad happened, I absolutely must recommend that you research drugs more in the future before trying them. This sort of reaction is completely normal with this dose of diphenhydramine, particularly because I'm guessing from your story that you're still somewhat young and will be sensitive to drugs especially if you've never tripped before. To be honest though, it doesn't sound like you were even really tripping that hard.... Everything you described, such as chapped lips and increased heart rate, are totally normal and expected at this dose, whereas the trip you described actually sounded quite weak. A doctor will call any recreational dose at all an overdose, and your parents will call it that because people with no knowledge of tripping tend to see delirium as a sign of toxicity, and the doctor likely reinforced their belief. Unfortunately, when taking drugs such as diphenhydramine for recreational purposes, delirium is a given and therefore it should never be done around people who care for you but are not prepared to witness you in that state; even if they would have been opposed to what you were going to do, this whole situation likely could have been avoided if you had told your parents what was going to happen beforehand. In the future, that's the kind of thing you might want to keep in mind before you decide when and where to trip.

However, I have to say that diphenhydramine seems fairly toxic to begin with, and is almost invariably disliked. It also is in no way psychedelic, if that's the kind of thing you're hoping for. Though I understand the desire to explore with hallucinogens especially when you're young and don't have access to other drugs, believe me when I say that diphenhydramine is not much better than having nothing. At the very least, do some research on DXM instead if you're going to be looking for an over-the-counter trip.

I really don't think this was the case, truthfully. The way it was described makes it sound to me like they were only concerned with saving their child from an overdose, not just from keeping him off drugs in general. Given that they had absolutely no warning or prior knowledge about the situation, I would say that their reaction was completely understandable.
Actually when taking it at the RIGHT dose benadryle has fantastic medical properties

I'll add my $0.02

I took about half a package of OTC generic "sleep aid" one time when I was days into opiate withdrawal and just wanted to sleep.

Going off of memory from eight years ago, I think I took around a half gram of diphenhydramine.

Not fun... and it did not put me to sleep. The thing I remember the most about it was the paralysis. I was lying in my bed and I could feel my brain trying to signal my arms and legs to move, but they wouldn't. Very strange.

I was also very sensitive to sound. I was trippin' as I was listening to a flatbed wrecker winch my truck up onto itself to haul it away.

Very bad experience.

My only draw to diphenhydramine is for a very small dose to help me sleep at night. I find that valerian root, kava, chamomile, and melatonin are all much better options.

When I was younger I tripped diphenhydramine off and on for a few years. Every couple of months I would go to Walmart and get a few bottles of extra strength unisoms which contained 32 50mg liquigels. My minimum dose was 16 of them which was 800mg and the most I ever took was 20.

My first time taking any I took 16 while still at Walmart!!! I was sitting outside on a bench smoking a cigarette when they kicked in and I remember watching the concrete ripple like water as the people walked by to enter the store. I got up to to walk to the drink machines to buy a Coke and almost fell flat on my face. I knew there was no way I was driving myself home so after getting my drink I stopped at the payphone and called a friend for a ride. As I was waiting for my ride to get there I started peaking....full blown tripping balls in public is not a fun experience. I was experiencing severe auditory hallucinations and didn't realize that there really was nobody speaking to me so I was sitting there on a bench in front of Walmart talking to thin air basically and the people walking into the store were staring at me like I belonged in a psych ward. Luckily my ride showed up before any kind of authorities were called. So now I'm in a car with people who aren't there talking to me and I'm just sitting there carrying on conversations with them like everything is normal while my friend is over there saying "wtf? Dude are you Ok? Who are you talking to? I never said your dog has rabies." At that point I figure out that none of the shit I'm hearing is real so I tell him I'm ok and then try my best to ignore the voices for the rest of the ride. After he drops me off at home I walk in to find my aunt and her boyfriend playing cards in the living room so instead of watching TV like I had planned I lay down on the couch and pretend to take a nap. After what felt like an hour or so I thought I was Ok so I got up and decided to play rummy with them.... Bad mistake lol. After my hand was dealt to me I picked my cards up to look at them only to find that they are all blank. So being the trooper that I am I tried faking it and playing a couple hands with the blank cards anyway. The whole time I was sitting there talking all kinds of nonsense because I hadn't realized the auditory hallucinations had started back up. After numerous inquiries about my wellbeing I decided that maybe I really did need to go to sleep so I got up to try to urinate before laying down. When I stepped into the bathroom to use the toilet there were two people having sex on the bathroom floor. At this point in time I know for sure that I'm completely out of my mind because there was nobody in the house besides my aunt, her boyfriend, and myself. But instead of ignoring it and trying to pee anyway I shut the light off and walked out to give the couple on the floor their privacy. I went and laid back down on the couch and eventually got to sleep but it took forever.

There were countless more times over the next couple of years that I popped way too many unisoms but I was always careful about making sure that the people I was around were aware of what I was doing even though that didn't stop me from wandering off and ending up in the back of a cop car talking to people who weren't there.

The last couple of times that I tried to trip on uni's (which was years after I stopped taking them and moved on to other drugs) I always feel extremely sick. I feel like I have to puke and sit there dry heaving for hours. I feel like there's a huge weight on my chest and it's really hard to breathe. It's definitely not enjoyable in the least bit anymore and quite frankly it scared me so bad the last time that I avoid anything with diphenhydramine in it like the plague now.

i had a similar experience and it is now 24 hours after and i still feel like absolute shit, light headed and delerious do know when you started to feel normal again?