• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

is attempting moderation foolish?

I've been craving a psychedelic trip (acid, shrooms, DPT) like a motherfucker but I know it would be playing with fire, might end up on a run. Doing what I can to work through the cravings.

You honestly couldn't be any more correct... I've seen the dark side of addiction.... And its fucking scary.... Growing up I lost my mom to meth... I told myself I would never do hard drugs like meth or heroin...but as the universe does its job, I find myself doing coke.... I loved it.... Being the introvert ass kid who didn't really have a place.... Well... Coke was my place............ Til now... I haven't quit....I started as a freshman in high school, and haven't stopped til now....currently 20 in a whole different town, a new/better job, but honestly.... Anyone out there that's addicted.... Please listen to me.... Quit now!!!! Once you're in my spot....the scariest revelation is the duration you've being drugs.... It's a sad truth....

Welcome to BL RedHoodFS11! Cocaine can be a monster of a drug, for sure. The good news is that you are in fact so young, and it will be much easier to start getting in the habit of picking yourself back up now than it will be ten years from now if nothing chances (and something will change, for the better or worse). It is so incredibly painful living that kind of lifestyle.

Does anyone know about your struggle IRL RedHood? Perhaps you might benefit from starting your own Addiction or Recovery Journal in SL to document your experiences.

Thank you phactor. I am certainly in trouble if I ask myself this question, "can I control my use of any mind or mood altering substance in any form" and then answer "yes". Hopefully there are some clean people around to help me IF I make it back. Hey my life may not fall apart and I might be just fine if I took "one", but what if I am wrong?!?!? My life is too damn good to even take the risk just for today.

Hey redhood. I agree with TPD--starting a recovery journal here might have a couple nice outcomes for you.

First, many people find that keeping some kind of journal helps them in their recovery. Between helping to manage emotions and giving us a way to keep track of things that helped or hurt us as we cleaned up, journals can be great. A journal on SL will also put you into contact with a great group of folks who want to see you get better!

second, your post suggests that you'd like to spare other folks from the hurt you're in. Of course nothing can guarantee that. But writing on SL about your challenges may really help someone later.

Of course, it's up to you completely. Regardless, I hope you're feeling strong and are doing well today.

Are we atalking especially about booze and opioids in this thread?

i have been using psychedelics, dissociatives, empathogens and also benzos to stop a trip.

i don't them use all the time but maybe once in a months.

my significant other (MrRoot here in BL) (who I would like to marry *wink wink*. I won't try to be any more obvious about that my honey) cannot moderare his opioid or benzo use. He empties a whole 100 pill bottle of 2mg clonazepams if he gets her hend into those but he is trying very hard to stay away of those the whole time he has been in ORT which is a huge accomplish on it's own.

i guess some people can others can't moderate their drug use depnding on the substance and even moderat some drugs but mot all types of drug.

Yes it's EXTREMELY foolish. Millions of people who are addicts believe that they can use drugs in moderation or use other drugs and wind up dying.

I love how non addicts, people who are addicts but in denial, and addicts that are not committed to actually being sober think you can "just" smoke pot, "just" trip, or "just " drink while you are an addict.

Sobriety doesnt work like that. Recovery and sobriety is abstaining from everything, or nothing. Half steps avail no measures, and lead to relapse and a slow or fast early death, and addictions to other drugs or a total relapse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not post messages in ridiculously large font size.

When it comes to moderation, trying to go from a habit that is defined by compulsivity and impulsivity to responsibility and maturity is simply unreasonable. It generally takes a long time of abstinence before someone can even hope to use something more responsibly, but when it comes to other substances (such as entheogens and empathogens as Artemisia alluded to) that by their very nature do not lend themselves to compulsive/impulsive patterns of use, there is room for variance.

You know I don't believe in the kinda of one size fits all approach to recovery you are promoting in your post alpha_centuri, although I understand that you do have folks best interests at heart. But how recovery works for you and how it works for everyone else is not necessarily the same thing.

Are we atalking especially about booze and opioids in this thread?

i have been using psychedelics, dissociatives, empathogens and also benzos to stop a trip.

i don't them use all the time but maybe once in a months.

my significant other (MrRoot here in BL) (who I would like to marry *wink wink*. I won't try to be any more obvious about that my honey) cannot moderare his opioid or benzo use. He empties a whole 100 pill bottle of 2mg clonazepams if he gets her hend into those but he is trying very hard to stay away of those the whole time he has been in ORT which is a huge accomplish on it's own.

i guess some people can others can't moderate their drug use depnding on the substance and even moderat some drugs but mot all types of drug.

This is how I feel about it. Not all substances are the same and we all have different goals, needs and vulnerabilities when it comes to our recovery.

Yes it's EXTREMELY foolish. Millions of people who are addicts believe that they can use drugs in moderation or use other drugs and wind up dying.

I love how non addicts, people who are addicts but in denial, and addicts that are not committed to actually being sober think you can "just" smoke pot, "just" trip, or "just " drink while you are an addict.

Sobriety doesnt work like that. Recovery and sobriety is abstaining from everything, or nothing. Half steps avail no measures, and lead to relapse and a slow or fast early death, and addictions to other drugs or a total relapse.

Couple things, alpha_centauri (all understood in the context that I know you have folks' best interest at heart).

Sobriety may not work that way (i.e. allowing some drug use) *for you* or even for a group of people, but for many folks it's perfectly realistic to 86 some drugs while continuing to use others. While I'm sure you're living proof that total abstinence works for you, many folks here on SL are living proof that other approaches to recovery are viable, too.

Labeling behavior you disapprove of as denial gives 12-step and similar modes of recovery such a black eye. And I say this as a person who is heavily involved in NA--working steps with a sponsor, involved in service, etc.

I do agree with you that when it comes to recovery, half-measures are problematic, even dangerous. But goals short of total abstinence don't necessarily entail half-measures. Likewise, an unexamined, non-critical recovery based on total abstinence can easily be chock full of them.

I get cranky about this stuff b/c I think the accumulated folk wisdom of 12-step fellowships can have a productive role to play in modern recovery. But resting on dogma and shaming people's intuition really undercuts this role.

Come on, man...honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness, right?

On a related note to what you're saying simco, I've been so pleased to see how it seems like we have a number of SLers who have been able to find their own little niches in various 12 step communities recently.

There is still so much narrow mindedness in recovery communities generally speaking, but I still hope for a day when auxiliary support groups like NA and AA are more tolerant, inclusive and on board with modern medical science.

I feel like that day is gonna get here sooner or later with the explosion in awareness of opioid use disorder we've been seeing in the US over the last twenty years and, even if this is a shitty thing to say, as some of the older more hardcore preaching deacon members of 12 step groups die out.

I've known people who have abused a substance at one point or another, stopped, but later went on to enjoy some very moderate use (not necessarily of their DOC, but that can even happen...there are plenty of people who drank like alcoholic fishes in college but in later adulthood became "responsible drinkers")

The guy I used to buy weed from (and still would if I lived in my old city, he was great) used to be a severe alcoholic, homeless, in real bad shape...now he has a wife, a kid, he's a good family man and he has a successful small business...he doesn't drink anymore but he smokes cannabis. It's anecdotal & based on my own experience but his (and others I know) experience doesnt really fit into the total abstinence narrative. I think it needs to be determined on a case-by-case basis...there really are people who need to stay far away from their DOC, and maybe all recreational drugs, but not everyone is like that, not even if you had a "problem" at one point.

I think it needs to be determined on a case-by-case basis...there really are people who need to stay far away from their DOC, and maybe all recreational drugs, but not everyone is like that, not even if you had a "problem" at one point.

This is where it's at.