• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

loperamide dangers

ss2brandon

Bluelighter
With all the threads out there that approve of loperamide lets make it known what dangers this otc drug poses. Tremors, constipation leading to fecal impaction, arythmias leading to ventricular tach or worse Torsades. Anyone else wanna chime in. Im not totally against but we should be careful on advising others on their dosage. Be careful and do research before putting this sub in your system.

I've used Loparamide many, many times in quite high dosages when I'm on a kick or when I can't get my regular opies and I haven't had any problems. It's actually been a life saver many times, allowing me to go about my day without being sick like I normally would.

Not to say it's "safe" but that's just my experience.

Don't try and get high off it though... That's just dumb.

Well taking huge doses of Loperamide can certainly cause fecal impaction as well as other nasty things such as paralytic ileus due to it's very constipating effects but i figured that would be common knowledge by now. I have never found Loperamide to work that great compared to codeine because really all it stops is diarrhea as it doesn't even help stomach cramps for me and if i take too much of it i end up with worse stomach cramps. The most Loperamide i can handle without inducing constipation which leaves me more uncomfortable then the symptoms i was trying to relieve is about 6-8mg's every 6 hours or so.

All medications have dangers so of course Loperamide does as well. However as long as you use sensible doses you should be ok.

I have been taking loperamide since feb-march when I got off suboxone. I take around 12-20mg a day. I haven't found it anymore constipating than pain killers. I found suboxone much more constipating and if lope can cause that damage than I wonder how bad methadone is because at my worst on it I would shit maybe every other week. Once went 4 weeks, and felt like I was rotting inside out. Lots of peanut butter + methadone = near death experience.

I actually found out some info for people who take it while weight lifting and some people swear by it saying they get increased gains due to it. They are oblivious to any painkiller qualities and some have taken it for years and quit without ill effects. I definitely would feel shitty if I stopped but it's no where near real opiate withdrawal. Not sure I can attest to body building gains but I have never been in such greater shape in my life, I guess it is supposed to reduce cortisol levels. I mainly take it as an antidepressant as you really need to take huge amounts to feel anything physical and imo when you do, you feel the toxicity.

Last edited:
It only took me one time of using high-dose loperamide to figure out that the constipation can be a serious and painful problem. Taking preventative measures has enabled me to use it without any apparent negative reaction. Mineral Oil, Miralax and a slight excess of hydration keeps things moving even when I've consumed over 150mgs in a day - this was only when I was on methadone maintenance and nothing could touch me.

Paranoid nailed it on the head. Sensible doses. Just looking out for people nothing wrong with that. And yes i take it in reasonable doses of 16-20mg when i run out of bupe. Sucks. Often we get stuck on evaluating everything subjectively. Trying to do what this site is intended and reduce harm even if its one person.

Last edited:
Loperamide in high doses is certainly more dangerous than some constipation possibly leading to fecal impaction. It's linked to life threatening ventricular arrythmias. The thing with severe arrythmias are you rarely know you've had one until you drop dead or wake up drenched in a cold sweat recovering from a heart attack...

Please be careful both when using and advocating the use of loperamide for opioid withdrawal. There's at least two cases of death in one of the loperamide megathreads. I certainly see where the OP is coming from here. Please remember that a ton of people get away with things that aren't exactly healthy, and it's not like a dead lop user is going to come to warn of these arrythmia issues :\.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25345436
CONCLUSION: This case series describes several patients with cardiac conduction abnormalities and life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias temporally related to loperamide abuse.

Exactly. I went to the er once and was told i had prolonged qt wave interval. I would never have known. This was on doses of roughly 60-80 mg daily

I'm actually really glad you made this thread, it seems like very few are aware of the cardiac issues loperamide can cause. This really needs a lot more exposure with the sheer number of ex/opioid users using it as a withdrawal remedy, in absurdly high amounts. Just curious, did the doctors link the lope to the prolonged Q wave or were they oblivious about what was causing this?

No i never admitted my abuse. i never connected the dots until recently reading several case studies. I bring this up bc i took 48mg the other day and a few hours later i began experiencing heart palps and my heart was def in an arrythmia

Not to mention its metabolites are toxic. I have used lope for withdrawals many a times but never more than eight tabs a day. Some of the dosage recommendations l have seen are just retarded, as is using it long term. Poop is 1/3 bacteria by weight and it belongs in the toilet not backed all the way to your small intestines...people have gotten sepsis and died/almost died from fecal impactions. I know there are a lot of threads that discuss the dangers of loperamide but there are just as many suggesting people take 50 tabs. Use it when necessary, smallest dose possible and for the shortest amount of time.

Ya this stuff is no jpke. Especially if you are opiate naive or when "Megadosed".like people advocate. And what if someones BBB did not function properly. Just saying be careful. You nevet know you have an underlying condition.

《Plasticity》;13091539 said:
Loperamide in high doses is certainly more dangerous than some constipation possibly leading to fecal impaction. It's linked to life threatening ventricular arrythmias. The thing with severe arrythmias are you rarely know you've had one until you drop dead or wake up drenched in a cold sweat recovering from a heart attack...

Please be careful both when using and advocating the use of loperamide for opioid withdrawal. There's at least two cases of death in one of the loperamide megathreads. I certainly see where the OP is coming from here. Please remember that a ton of people get away with things that aren't exactly healthy, and it's not like a dead lop user is going to come to warn of these arrythmia issues :\.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25345436

Shit i never heard about Loperamide causing arrhythmia's or any other heart condition. Isn't Loperamide related to Demerol aka Meperidine aka Pethidine? I know Demerol is cardiotoxic or atleast it's toxic metabolite normeperidine is and can cause prolonged QT even in recommended doses especially if you are taking it for any longer then a few days in a row. So it wouldn't surprise me if Loperamide also shares some of it's cardiotoxic properties.

Guess im kicking bupe. Gonna jump from 8mg lope. Wish me luck. Sorry to get off topic.