• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

HEAVY meth use - am I screwed?

Mexicanman

Greenlighter
I've been using meth on a daily basis for the past 8 years. I have smoked at least 2 or 3 grams a day for the past 3 years, without a single break. It has always been very good/clean stuff. I literally haven't come down once. I really haven't experienced any negative effects from it thus far, but now that I'm a bit older (entering my 30s), I'm beginning to think it might be time to stop. I haven't come down for three years though and I'm pretty scared about how bad it is going to be. Does anyone have any similar experience with a comedown or quitting after such an extensive period of time of constant usage. Am I screwed?

I haven't come down for three years though and I'm pretty scared about how bad it is going to be.

If you look at it as something difficult that you are going to be going through(not staying stuck in, but passing through) that you are going to benefit from, it will be easier. Your higher self is asking you to listen and you did by making the decision to quit and take care of your mind, body and spirit. There will be discomfort, unease and uncertainty but keep reminding yourself that it is temporary. Create a metaphor in your mind that you can use to keep going when it feels daunting and you may be tempted to give up. (For example, think back to when you were a kid learning to ride a bike. You knew you wanted to do it but getting there meant scrapes and bruises and scary falls. The only way you would keep doing it was because the goal was strongest in your mind.)Congratulations on your decision--it's a good one.<3

Wow, that's one of the most extreme cases of methamphetamine usage I have ever heard. I wish you all the luck should you choose to quit. It probably won't be as bad as you might think.

I'd say you are fucked. Despite what the first poster said, although it sounds good in theory, I'm a chronic meth user of about two years, and unlike you, I don't have a steady connection or the finances, so I end up getting a gram every few weeks and binging for 4-5 days then being in absolute hell for a week, then a few weeks of rapid cycling depression/mania.

If you do quit, be ready to go through absolute mental agony, first you will do nothing but eat and sleep for weeks, then, you will have many months of no motivation or energy, seriously, even cleaning up your home, combing your hair, and going outside to do errands will be a massive undertaking, not to mention the severe mood swings you will go through, you'll feel extremely depressed for long periods in the day, then suddenly, you'll get this ridiculous rush of manic euphoria that lasts far less than the depression. Oh, and any cognitive tasks will be much harder for you, not to mention you'll be very anti-social, anxious, and fucked.

How is he supposed to exercise when he's going to have zero energy or motivation? I do daily very long walks and dancing on the weekends, plus weight lifting when I can, but forget dancing without meth, and the walking or lifting cannot be done right after a crash. I also do meditation, I highly recommend that, but seriously, I've tried everything and it is just torture. I suppose you are lucky, because at least you don't crash like hell all the time like I do, but if you do stop, you'll have a much harder time than me if I were to stop.

EDIT: I don't want to sound cynical here, positive thinking is extremely beneficial, but it will be a brutal process to undertake, even with support, positive thinking, eating right, sleeping, exercise, meditation, it still fucking sucks. It actually isn't that hard to quit though, the real problem is staying quit. You'll make it a few weeks and then relapse hard, at least that's what keeps happening to me, maybe you have more willpower than I.

Meth withdrawal is worse than opiate withdrawal, in my opinion, because at least with opiate withdrawal, as hellish as it is, it basically involves being really sick for awhile, then MINOR (in comparison) psychological withdrawals. Not saying opiate withdrawal is fun, it is a seriously fucked thing to go through too, but meth withdrawal is far more evil as it were, because it takes much longer to truly get out of withdrawal than opiates, but it is so much more subtle than opiates, because aside from the initial crash of sleeping and eating, you don't really have any visible symptoms so you think you are fine and beat it when you are in a suddenly good mood in the mood swings, then it reverses and you get really fiending.

How is he supposed to exercise when he's going to have zero energy or motivation?

Its kinda cruel indeed as making exercise amazing treatment for fatigue and depression. Nothing more depressing than laying around depressed. I feel that depression is a progressive situation. Depression motivates living a depressed life style, which in turn causes greater depression. A possible approach could include promoting a stimulating life.

Exercise stimulates the creation and stabilization of relevant neurotransmitters. It also increases the plasticity and healing in the brain.

I do not have any personal experience with meth recovery, but it sure has done wonders for me to heal from the effects of significant abuse from another stimulant. I would certainly give it a shot. In the beginning it may be much better to do sustained low stress exercise.

This post reminded me of the good in human beings.
So happy to see it here.
Thanks to NSA for caring, and finding all that info, and trying to help someone in need.

I agree with NSA - you got this!

My friend has been addicted to meth for 20 years.
He sleeps regularly and never misses work, plus he spends time with his family and doing his hobbies (surfing), so it doesn't seem so bad.
I don't want to say that it is okay, but he has found a good balance.
Better to quit, I would say, for your own health and sanity.
Life will be amazing with or without meth.
And, as a friend often says, "no drugs is the strongest drug".

Last edited:
You'll probably experience a tremendous amount of depression and anxiety. I imagine that your dopamine receptors have p. much been completely annihiliated by 8 YEARS of meth use EVERY DAY. Your brain will recover (the human brain is actually quite resilient) but it'll take a long time and it'll probably be very hard.

You'll probably experience a tremendous amount of depression and anxiety. I imagine that your dopamine receptors have p. much been completely annihiliated by 8 YEARS of meth use EVERY DAY. Your brain will recover (the human brain is actually quite resilient) but it'll take a long time and it'll probably be very hard.

As far as what to expect this hits the nail on the head. I quit using meth almost 3 years ago but for a year so after I was pretty unstable and had much worse anxiety than usual. Don't let all this discourage you though OP, it's definitely worth it in the long run and you'll level out. Just take baby steps and although exercise does help, if you don't feel like exercising at first just find something else to occupy your mind. Another person suggested meditation. If that's not for you then try playing video games or reading, whatever you feel like you can do.

Ok I don't think your "screwed" I do think you will suffer permanent damage from the amount and duration of time that your used for. Methamphetamine is neurotoxic and at doses of up to 3 grams a day then neurotoxicity has almost certainly taken place. What kind of damage your likely to suffer is something we cant tell you, your just going to have to find out unfortunately but id think it'd be things like memory problems, problem solving, behavioural issues(as in uncontrollable anger etc) and mental illness but that's been a possibility since you started smoking the stuff.

Physically you also may have damage such as lung damage from smoking so much, possibly a weaker heart and probably a higher probability of having a stroke until you get yourself properly healthy again. I was getting these funny headaches last night and I thought I might have been having a stroke and it was terrifying. But it was just a headache and dehydration.

Im a binger. I sometimes just have one decent shot and ride that out, sometimes ill save a tiny bit to smoke just to top up. Sometimes ill go 2-4 nights and that causes many problems in my life like chronic depression & anxiety, relationship & family problems, participation in risky sexual activities and it basically just seems to turn my life upside down incredibly quickly.

Then there's the full on habit which ive experienced a few times. I used for 9 months straight mostly injecting but smoking too, also using heroin, cocaine and benzo's(I was going through a rough time & im so lucky im alive) almost all daily. I currently have a habit. Ive been injecting roughly 2 deals a day which is about 0.2-0.3g which seems like nothing compared to your 3 grams a day but remember my tolerance goes down when I take breaks between binges. Meth is quite expensive in Australia compared to America and im not sure about the purity but an average sized shot would be 0.1g or a point. I used to have half a point and rush my brain off so I don't know how your using so much, ive been using for 10 years btw, just not daily and when I stop for a few days, a point is plenty big enough for a good rush. Unfortunately the last 4-5 shots have been pretty crappy due to tolerance` so its time to up the dose but that's not happening. I plan on ending the run today with the shot I had this morning.

Ok I don't think your "screwed" I do think you will suffer permanent damage from the amount and duration of time that your used for. Methamphetamine is neurotoxic and at doses of up to 3 grams a day then neurotoxicity has almost certainly taken place. What kind of damage your likely to suffer is something we cant tell you, your just going to have to find out unfortunately but id think it'd be things like memory problems, problem solving, behavioural issues(as in uncontrollable anger etc) and mental illness but that's been a possibility since you started smoking the stuff.

Physically you also may have damage such as lung damage from smoking so much, possibly a weaker heart and probably a higher probability of having a stroke until you get yourself properly healthy again. I was getting these funny headaches last night and I thought I might have been having a stroke and it was terrifying. But it was just a headache and dehydration.

Im a binger. I sometimes just have one decent shot and ride that out, sometimes ill save a tiny bit to smoke just to top up. Sometimes ill go 2-4 nights and that causes many problems in my life like chronic depression & anxiety, relationship & family problems, participation in risky sexual activities and it basically just seems to turn my life upside down incredibly quickly.

Then there's the full on habit which ive experienced a few times. I used for 9 months straight mostly injecting but smoking too, also using heroin, cocaine and benzo's(I was going through a rough time & im so lucky im alive) almost all daily. I currently have a habit. Ive been injecting roughly 2 deals a day which is about 0.2-0.3g which seems like nothing compared to your 3 grams a day but remember my tolerance goes down when I take breaks between binges. Meth is quite expensive in Australia compared to America and im not sure about the purity but an average sized shot would be 0.1g or a point. I used to have half a point and rush my brain off so I don't know how your using so much, ive been using for 10 years btw, just not daily and when I stop for a few days, a point is plenty big enough for a good rush. Unfortunately the last 4-5 shots have been pretty crappy due to tolerance` so its time to up the dose but that's not happening. I plan on ending the run today with the shot I had this morning.

I agree with this. I know people who did have the neurotoxic effects from meth use happen to them and they only used it on weekends sometimes for as little as a month, and others used it like this for a year or more. I've seen posts here on bluelight where people said how the neurotoxic effects from meth can and do happen the first time you use it as well.

But, these people were not totally screwed and would have been far worse off had they continued to use meth.

Try to check into a detox/rehab center run by medical professionals. good luck.

I used methamphetamine usually at high doses, not daily, but off and on for YEARS, and nothing other than one root canal and a couple of chipped teeth happened to me. These days I take propylhexedrine pretty much daily instead.

For doing it that long, I think you would need to go to a detox center. If that's not an option, try cutting down little by little everyday. If you have some benzos and weed handy, that will make the comedown less traumatic.

A detox center for stimulants?

Benzos for meth detox?

I would cut out all the drugs for a year. Natural sleep, exercise, good fresh healthy food and vitamins. Work your brain out with puzzles and complex movement like dancing or tennis.

Instead of scrambling the brain more i would promote the brain returning to homiostasis by promoting and living a healing lifestyle.

Last edited:
Dude I honestly think you will be fine as long as you take care of yourself and follow basic hygiene habits like take at least 1 shower a day and brush teeth twice a day, eat like a normal person and sleep atleast 5 days a week. I use heavy everyday too and have been for 7 years and I feel perfectly fine and don't have any health issues so far besides some cavities. I've quit for a few months at a time here and there in between those 7 years but did go 4 years straight on the pipe without any problems. I'm still blazin the glass dick all day everyday, no coming down for me and I feel great most of the time. The only thing I get kinda worried about sometimes are my teeth. I have all my teeth and they look good when I smile except I have at least 6 huge cavities in the back of my mouth that I need filled but I'm scared of going to the dentist.

As for quitting, I wish you the best of luck;-) I agree with the other posters saying you should go to a detox center because IMO it's almost impossible to do it on your own and will most likely relapse within a month. The longest I was able to stay clean was almost 7 months and the only reason why I was able to go that long was cuz I was pregnant. You will feel like your living in fucking hell for the first couple weeks and it gets a little better with time but not much. For me the exhaustion and depression lingered for several months and the fucking cravings were so strong it was unbelievable kind of like my mind was being tortured.

Last edited:
C
I've been using meth on a daily basis for the past 8 years. I have smoked at least 2 or 3 grams a day for the past 3 years, without a single break. It has always been very good/clean stuff. I literally haven't come down once. I really haven't experienced any negative effects from it thus far, but now that I'm a bit older (entering my 30s), I'm beginning to think it might be time to stop. I haven't come down for three years though and I'm pretty scared about how bad it is going to be. Does anyone have any similar experience with a comedown or quitting after such an extensive period of time of constant usage. Am I screwed?
I would limit your use and plan for an extended break.

Mexicanman, no you're not screwed. And unfortunately you won't get the best advice on here sometimes, from people who are still suffering. Rehab, detox, then anti depressants or dexamphetamine treatment. You definitely need treatment, feel free to pm me for any reason. You are in a difficult position, but you need professional help.

I personally like Eckhart tolle stuff, if you have been through hell, it can be a gateway to enlightenment. If you don't want to go down the spirituality path, there's ways man. You're still alive, you can survive, but you need to find the pros.

My bro went through years of it, to the point of 800/day habit. Hes been done for years, married, kids, happy and fucking healthy.

I wish you strength , pm me if you want.

You'll be fine, although I do agree with others here that you shouldn't try and do it on your own cold turkey without a detox of some kind. I messed around with meth for a whole summer years ago, and when I hear of people doing it for ten years it blows my mind, even after a few months, I still had crashes that were brutal and my tolerence had gone up, but the brain is pretty good at rebounding to it's original state.