View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Nutmeg facts, experience and information from a pseudo-experienced nutmeg user

Nutmegfreakz17

Greenlighter
Nutmeg is an inebriant and a deliriant at the same time, basically meaning that it can get you drunk and also high at the same time, in fact that's what an inebriant is, is basically something that gets you drunk, like alcohol. A deliriant is something different. Nutmeg is a mild deliriant, but the unusual thing about it, is that the high is strikingly similar to marijuana, which is an euphoriant.

I bought 3 whole nutmeg seeds at a <snip>. I grated the nutmeg with a cheese grater on the side where all the tiny holes are and put it inside an empty cereal bowl. One nutmeg is equivalent to about a tablespoon. I took three whole tablespoons, so basically I took about three whole nutmegs down with milk. At a few points into actually getting it down my gullet, I swallowed too much too fast in one go, which gagged me on it, and it was so nasty that I literally had to hold back the urge to vomit. I tried to do it as quickly as I could after taking my final dump before choking down the nutmeg since when I get too nervous to do something, I also often have the urge to poo (I know, TMI).

It's best that as soon as you grind it up, you take it all because the pure shit goes bad too quick or at least loses it's strength and intensity, as when it's being ground, a lot of it's volatile oils leak out and become exposed. I wouldn't recommend anything preground, because it's much more toxic than the natural stuff as it's sprayed with chemicals and preservatives to increase shelf life. Whole nutmeg can be mildly toxic as well, as it has been shown to contain some kind of chemical or essential oil known as safrole, which is believed to cause liver damage, however I don't think it's been yet proven if it actually is toxic to the liver.

The most dangerous the effects get with nutmeg is dehydration, cottonmouth, sometimes severe and reoccurring thirstiness, mild flushing, BAD sweating and feeling like you're really hot (physically, not figuratively). You should keep lots of water at bay as well because of these effects. The high can last up to 2 days, which was how long my nutmeg trip lasted. On the second day of my high when I woke up, I got really nauseated, though surprisingly not hung over despite making the mistake of not drinking much water. I battled the nausea first with saltines, but it took me forever to swallow which is why I had to chug some Gatorade down with it (which for some reason, actually made me feel more nauseated drinking, despite the benefits some people say that Gatorade has for nausea), and it was so dry in my already dry mouth, that it was really hard to even swallow to begin with. I then ate some yoplait yogurt, in where I instantly felt relief, whereas with the saltines it only provided mild temporary relief. I got so high at some points to where I felt like I couldn't even talk.

A lot of sources may tell you that you shouldn't sleep on nutmeg, because you could sleep for a LONG time. This is partially true, only if you're talking about sleeping before the high kicks in. Once the high has already kicked in, you may get tired at some points, however sleep should be very difficult because the high bugs the hell out of you, especially when you're trying to wind down and get some shuteye. You might wake up to a weird feeling that may make you freak out, dizziness, breathing problems, etc. You can go to sleep on this stuff, but it may take a while. I don't recall any weird dreams, but I do remember having a very vivid imagination on this stuff. Things like coyotes being behind me, feeling like I'm in a Daft Punk music video with Daft Punk playing all throughout my head, it was incredible! Like I said earlier, the high is just like weed, it gives me a really funny feeling, it makes me get a pretty cool body high, out-of-body sensations, RED eyes, and even munchies!

This shit gave me lots of giggles as well as also making my throat crack when I try to talk making me even sound like I'm stoned when I talked! In some cases, nutmeg enhanced the experience of masturbation. Personally, I didn't feel much different as how I usually would when I masturbate, but since it's an aphrodisiac, I jacked off several times before the high even kicked in.

And while some people argue it's dangerous because of its suspected toxic effects on the liver, but really, not with nutmeg oil. With nutmeg oil you're not getting the toxic safrole, as nutmeg oil is basically isolated myristica fragrans with the myristicin (the chemical in nutmeg that gets you high) but with or without the safrole. The reason I say with or without is because safrole may not be toxic in oil form or it may eventually degrade in it's oil form. Either this or the people who extract the oil take out the safrole or it just doesn't require all the chemicals/ingredients/essential oils that nutmeg oil has in the seed. But either way, don't ask me much about the nutmeg oil, as I've never tried it, however I've heard that it won't make you feel as shit as regular nutmeg would and also works a lot quicker (and not saying that the nutmeg high is miserable, it's just that at times you could get really hot, sweaty, dry mouthed, etc.).

Some people say that you shouldn't consume anything with sugar or caffeine while high on nutmeg, because it can interact supposedly, however I'll have you know that when I drank sweet tea (which I drank quite a bit of while high on this) in which didn't affect me at all, except somewhat worsen my cottonmouth when my mouth went dry after sipping it.

Nutmeg may cause mild auditory hallucinations as well as bring on some mild visuals, but with the amount I took, I didn't hallucinate actually and it wasn't ANYTHING like acid! It was mainly like weed and somewhat like alcohol. I only had 3 auditory hallucinations on this. I remember on the first night, I heard a conversation between two familiar sounding voiced people but it didn't last long as I looked back into the living room as I was in the hallway as I heard this. Another time I heard something on this was when I was headbanging to some rock music (Nickelback, yeah make fun of me for that all you want, haters) in the computer room until I heard something metallic hit the floor, and it sounded like a bell when it dropped. I looked back and saw that nothing was on the floor and nothing moved. And the third time I remember hearing something was when I was in the van on the way home from Fatz Cafe in where we had just eaten (me, my two little brothers, my cousin Breanna, and my grandparents) for a Mother's Day celebration as the Night at the Museum movie was playing on the mini-TV/DVD player in the van. What happened was I started having a weird, scary dream when I closed my eyes to go to sleep, until I heard some weird "game over" like sound that you would find similar to something in a video game where you lose or something like that and it was kinda loud in my hearing and it woke me up while we were on the road and scared me into staying awake until we made it home. The high was similar to taking a whole 2 liter gravity bong hit or two of some really good loud.

As for some more myths about this stuff, one is that it will cause tachycardia/palpitations/increased heart rate/unusual heart rate. This is likely not true, as all it did to affect my heart was make me feel my heart beats, which kinda caused me to become a little anxious about it. However, I'm pretty sure that they weren't palpitations. Some sources say that this will cause diarrhea, but personally, I didn't poo on it until the high was completely gone on Sunday (I took it 2:30-2:50 something in the afternoon on Friday). The high kicked in 4-5 hours after ingestion, the high is quite a bit of a creeper, I must say. Once the high kicked in it felt like loud, and I was about as high as loud. Before I even knew it, my eyes were very red.

I would NOT suggest you smoke any weed after taking your nutmeg. Probably not even during or before taking your nutmeg either, unless in the case of taking it after smoking weed, the marijuana high has died off. The reason I advise against mixing weed with nutmeg is because it will make you go nuts. I remember one time I had smoked weed TWICE before a nutmeg high, and once that nutmeg kicked in, I was having delusions and other psychotic symptoms. The reason I smoked weed before the nutmeg high even kicked in was because it was taking so long that I gave up on waiting after a certain point. It took 11 hours for the nutmeg to kick in after taking only one tablespoon. But thankfully that high didn't actually last long, due to how long it took to kick in (the longer it takes to kick in, the shorter the high is going to be, chances are).

And also another bullshit reason people use to prove that nutmeg is dangerous is the deaths on nutmeg. They like to point to the report of the middle aged woman who was found dead with copious amounts of nutmeg in her system. But what they won't tell you is that the woman was also found with significant amounts of Flunitrazepam in her system as well. As for the other death that occurred on nutmeg, it was of an 8 year old child who assumingly had accidentally ingested massive amounts of nutmeg and died. This was likely due to the really young age, and probably didn't weigh much, so he/she died by an overdose on nutmeg. But at the same time, people have taken MASSIVE amounts of this shit and survived. An example would be the first reported discovered case of a person getting high/intoxicated on this spice, which happened sometime in the 15th or 16th century. It was a case in where a woman had consumed 10 seeds of nutmeg and was only reported to have been delirious but not DEAD.

I remember when I first got the whole nutmeg from the internet <snip>, I grated up a small seed first and took only 2 teaspoons (the seed was equivalent to about 2 teaspoons surprisingly due to how small it was) as I heard from bluelight that that was above the threshold dose. Instead of getting high, sometime later I passed out on the couch and slept from sometime in the afternoon that day to sometime late at night. And while a lot of people may say that nutmeg is a very toxic deliriant, but still at the same time, it's no more dangerous than brugmansia or datura.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're not supposed to talk about sources on here, so even though you're just talking about nutmeg, could you please edit out any references to where you acquired stuff?

Welcome to Bluelight!

The one time I tried to take a bunch of nutmeg, I couldn't get it down. It's interesting to read about someone who's managed to do it.

We're not supposed to talk about sources on here, so even though you're just talking about nutmeg, could you please edit out any references to where you acquired stuff?

Welcome to Bluelight!

The one time I tried to take a bunch of nutmeg, I couldn't get it down. It's interesting to read about someone who's managed to do it.

Give me some examples so I can know what you mean when you say "sources."

Give me some examples so I can know what you mean when you say "sources."

This is what he means:

I bought 3 whole nutmeg seeds at a local herbal/spice/"all natural" shop, called <snip>

Even though it's legal, we try to avoid anything that may enable someone to go about getting themselves into something 'new'.

I've gone through and edited out the only 2 'sources' I could find in your post....otherwise, thanks for the contribution and welcome to Bluelight :)

Last edited:
This is what he means:

Even though it's legal, we try to avoid anything that may enable someone to go about getting themselves into something 'new'.

I've gone through and edited out the only 2 'sources' I could find in your post....otherwise, thanks for the contribution and welcome to Bluelight :)

Thanks!

Deliriants are a class of drug I have always avoided due to length of the trip as well as how unpredictable they seem to be. Still I have always been interested in reading the trip reports. Never had the courage or the time to give it a go personally.

Deliriants are a class of drug I have always avoided due to length of the trip as well as how unpredictable they seem to be. Still I have always been interested in reading the trip reports. Never had the courage or the time to give it a go personally.

Well, nutmeg is only a mild deliriant and isn't that strong as compared to most of the other deliriants out there. And may I also mention that the cottonmouth can be treated once it's already came. Some trip reports will tell you that once the cottonmouth comes in, you won't be able to bring it down. I was, and I didn't even drink that much. It basically just kept coming and going. And aside from what these supposed "educational resources" are telling you, the cottonmouth you get from nutmeg is no worse than the cottonmouth that you may get from some loud.

The paranoia part is very much real. You get really paranoid, but no worse than you would with weed. The paranoia isn't too bad, and is very similar to paranoia you get from smoking weed. Personally, I don't see why pot-smoking stoners always point at this and say that it's dangerous and whoever tries nutmeg to get high is an idiot. I strongly disagree with this. After all, who would trade something that's illegal (or at least in most states), costs a lot and doesn't last that long no matter how hard you try to stretch it out, and even the high doesn't last that long most of the times for something that's completely legal (legal to buy and get stoned off of), is cheap (I bought 3 whole seeds for only a dollar and 80), and the high lasts really long as well as very strong high as well.

If you think about it, it's actually the stoners who are the main hypocrites here. They hate it when people say that their weed is dangerous, but yet at the same time bash other drugs and people who use them recreationally, and point to every other drug as being dangerous except their weed. However, I still respect your decision not to try nutmeg, regardless of how good I think the high is.

Do you go for nutmeg because it's fun or because you find it easier to get than acid?

Do you go for nutmeg because it's fun or because you find it easier to get than acid?
Originally, I didn't know much about nutmeg, besides it could get you high, but took 6 hours, and had a lot of negative side effects. But the more I researched into it, the more I found out that that was just complete BS.

I think it's a pretty cool recreational high, in my experience, and I look forward to doing it again, though not in a while.

I tried nutmeg once just to see what would happen and nothing happened; but I probably did not drink enough of it. I remember it tasted nasty. Other people I know said the same thing when they tried it once since we all read about it on the internet and had to try it once just to see what would happen.

I know people who did eat a lot of nutmeg, enough to get high on but these were highschool kids who did get high on nutmeg because they didn't have access or connections to better drugs like weed, psychedelics, pills, MDMA, since we were in an area where all of those drugs were easily available and easier to get than booze decades ago. The few people I know who really liked nutmeg said how they liked it since it kept them high or fucked up for days.

Last edited:
The paranoia part is very much real. You get really paranoid, but no worse than you would with weed. The paranoia isn't too bad, and is very similar to paranoia you get from smoking trade

Just in case I've not understood you correctly. Are you saying the paranoia from eating nutmeg is the same as the paranoia from smoking weed and you think that's a good thing?

Nutmeg isn't what I'd call a deleriant, not like something like atropine or DPH. It's almost cannabis-like.

Fresh whole nutmegs are best. And just FYI, safrole is always present in nutmeg essential oil - just not in large amounts.

I do nutmeg once in a while just by nibbling on whole nutmegs. It takes a while to "come up" but it's pretty good :D

Just in case I've not understood you correctly. Are you saying the paranoia from eating nutmeg is the same as the paranoia from smoking weed and you think that's a good thing?
I kinda do, it's a sign that you're high as fuck after all, am I right?

But in my opinion, the main problem with nutmeg is that information on the proper dosaging has a broad range of different results depending by source. That's why I attempted to get high off nutmeg for so many times until I finally got high on it.

Last edited:
Nutmeg isn't what I'd call a deleriant, not like something like atropine or DPH. It's almost cannabis-like.

Fresh whole nutmegs are best. And just FYI, safrole is always present in nutmeg essential oil - just not in large amounts.

I do nutmeg once in a while just by nibbling on whole nutmegs. It takes a while to "come up" but it's pretty good :D

What is the high like for you? Is it true it lasts for hours or even days? The people I know who used nutmeg would buy the pre-ground nutmeg and eat, or blend it in a beverage and drink most of the container of it.

Nutmeg is quite sedating. Very "stony" high, similar to strong indica. Mental cloudiness, relaxation, etc. It makes your breath smell like nutmeg too!

I generally eat between two and four whole nuts-meg, takes perhaps 3-4 hours to peak and lasts for a good couple hours. I suspect if you loaded up on shitloads of 'meg it'd last a day.

Admittedly, I don't pay close attention to the high; I spend more time enjoying it than documenting it.

I had a rough experience with nutmeg many many years ago... kept it on the down-low from my wife by feigning a bad stomach ache, and laying down on the couch in another room. Felt it creep up over the course of a few hours lying there... then all of a sudden, about six hours in if memory serves, it was really hard to see well, and I was extremely unbalanced. I knew I wouldn't be able to act normal, or barely manage anything more than sitting down, but I drove (DANGEROUS) to work a couple hours before anyone else got there, did enough stuff to make it look like I came in, and left a note on my boss's desk saying I got really sick and had to go home.

Definitely not on my list of things to do again. And I would classify my experience as half delirium, half stoned.

Nutmeg is quite sedating. Very "stony" high, similar to strong indica. Mental cloudiness, relaxation, etc. It makes your breath smell like nutmeg too!

I generally eat between two and four whole nuts-meg, takes perhaps 3-4 hours to peak and lasts for a good couple hours. I suspect if you loaded up on shitloads of 'meg it'd last a day.

Admittedly, I don't pay close attention to the high; I spend more time enjoying it than documenting it.

That sounds interesting but probably something I would ever do as I usually have a pretty low tolerance to most things, and I like a small amount of nutmeg as an additive on some desserts, drinks, and food; but eating a large quantity of powdered nutmeg or fresh nutmeg does not sound enjoyable to me. I wouldn't be surprised if I would vomit on that large of a dose of nutmeg so that's why I have no desire to use it.

I enjoy eating and drinking cardamom; but if it was discovered that it would produce effects like nutmeg in a high dose I still would not personally use it.

ugh I still shiver when I taste anything nutmeg. Like sand paper going down your throat. Later on I discovered just eat it in yogurt or applesauce but the stomach pains it gives are intense and throwing it up hurts. The first time was best but I never got close to it again. Definitely a young persons drug.

I remember only the day after it was like marijuana but worse being a blood shot zombie for 24 hours after. The come up was fun though like taking a really tiny doses of lsd, mdma and a higher dose of benadryl and then smoking a spliff. It's er interesting to say the least I remember the time distortion was ridiculous it would feel like years and years where elapsing in seconds while fractal patterns pulsed all around in between throwing up. If only there was a way to get the good effects without the bad.

I had taken about 20 grams of "premium" organic nutmeg and dumped it in a mug of egg nog and just swallowed it down. The nutmeg burps were noteworthy.