• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2015 mlb thread v. go red sox!

Congrats to the cubs. I find this unbelievable but they said the cubs have never won a playoff series at home? Did i hear that right?

And its now or never for kersaw...

Yeah, good on the Cubs. I feel good for them, definitely. They haven't won a World Series since before there was a radio that you could listen to Cubs games on, all good things in all good time ... and in Vegas they are looking like favorite, even more so, +250 last time I checked, but I suspect that may have some influenced by everyone in Chicago placing a bet and moving the line, lol. I gotta say, I'm sort of puling for them, I love an underdog when otherwise I don't have a dog in the fight. I sort of rooted for the mets last night but don't really care. Cubs vs Mets would be a fun series though.

Tonight, against the Mets, Kershaw was dominant, Mets not terrible after the 3rd run but not able to bring it like they did last night, on to Game 5. As again I have no dog in this fight it'll definitely be entertaining. Towards the Mets Greinke may prove truly formidable. Got to hope the Mets order will figure him out, and deGrom is the one to face him, but yeah, his will be a great game. Despite the fact that some of my best friends are Mets fans honestly I consider them (and the Giants) to be New York teams, probably due to my inherent reactionary nature, despite however much time has passed, as long as my Yankees aren't in the picture.

Texas vs Toronto, 2-2
Houston vs KC, 2-2

Thursday: Mets vs Dodgers, 2-2

I've had some vacation days that are about to expire so I took them all at once, so basically all I've been doing past few days is drinking beer and watching postseason baseball. More exciting stuff to come. Rubber games. High drama. Can't wait, really. My team is out, but I love the sport of baseball, honestly I think it's the best game that's ever been invented, almost Platonically pure.

Now that I can watch just as a fan of the game without any favorites or bias, I'm excited as can be, lots of pivotal games and really exciting baseball to come. I'm glued to my TV, the playoffs have my full attention. Glad my days off coincide with this!

Last edited:
Rangers @ Jays. Bizarre game so far ... challenges invoking obscure rules that I don't really follow on the tying run, Toronto trying to put the game under protest, the entire city of Toronto looking like they're ready to riot, people getting ejected, fans throwing beer cans and hitting babies (really), but almost immediately after Cole Hamels imploding and loading the bases with nobody out, Rangers then proceeding to make 3(?) errors ... aaaaaand just now Bautista with a 3 run home run. More arguing and drama. More shit being thrown by fans. Now the cops are showing up on the field. inb4 benches clearing. And the 7th isn't even over yet, 2 on, 2 out. This fucking inning. Some of the craziest shit I've seen. Wow.

Edited to add: finally it's over. surprise, the benches did clear but not in overly dramatic fashion.

epic 53 minute inning.

Edited to add: .....and it's over. Next game 5 coming up.

If Royals win, over/under on number of times the benches clear in the ALCS?

Last edited:
That was a hell of a game man i wish texas woulda tied it so it kept going, the energy was ridiculous i had chills

Another incredible game tonight... Cueto finding his groove, the Royals doing what they needed to and then bringing some serious insurance.

Blue vs Blue in ALCS. Should be fun.

Also, I know I'm not the only one who mutes the TV/radio every time 1-877 KARS 4 KIDS comes on ... terrible ... also apparently this is not only a bit of a for profit charity but the funds raised are for the exclusive use of Orthodox Jews (could they try harder to play into negative stereotypes?) Who knew?

Last edited:
Ha we dont get those commercials
Yeah it was a hell of a game...ill say it before and ill saw it again i love the atmosphere of playoff baseball

I think it was a bad idea to bring kurscheul in but though for sure.
Youre gonna destroy the guy if you make it to the next round

Epic showdown tonight (Thursday night) deGrom vs Greinke, can't wait for that. I can't help but kind of pull for the Mets even though I don't like them and consider the Dodgers a New York team in a sense too, because like I was saying I have a lot of Mets-fan friends and can't help but feed off their excitement.

Friday's ALCS probables: Estrada @ Volquez, not the same tier matchup of course but should be interesting cause kind of similar pitchers in stats, pitch arsenal. Both should be fun. I have to work Friday evening/night and work doesn't get FS1, but luckily I have mlb.tv, theoretically we're not supposed to be using streaming stuff at work but I don't think they really care.

Looking forward to both.

Man another great game but thats a REALLY tough loss for dodgers fans. Even worse knowing keshaw shook the snide at least for 1 game and greinke didnt cost you the game

Amazing game. Greinke doing his thing but deGrom starting a little weak, gets out of trouble, coming back hard. Murphy kicking ass. Syndegaard in relief. Familia lights out to close. Lots of fun and drama, what I expected from this matchup to be honest. Yeah must be a hard lost for Dodgers fans but Mets fans are euphoric I'm sure. Mets vs Cubs should be a really fun series. I'm working this weekend but thinking about playing hooky to go to one of the games this weekend even though I'm not a Mets fan.

Congats, Laika. Mets look unstoppable right now both on the field and destiny-wise.

I hope they win it all, I really do. Worried the bats will go cold with a few extra days off and dont like either the Jays or Royals as a good matchup for them.

But they deserve it.

Congats, Laika. Mets look unstoppable right now both on the field and destiny-wise.

I hope they win it all, I really do. Worried the bats will go cold with a few extra days off and dont like either the Jays or Royals as a good matchup for them.

But they deserve it.

Thanks brother.. I know, I never like the Mets getting too much rest, because it generally takes them a long time to get the bats swinging again. Hopefully it's not the momentum that has them dominating, and instead its the excitement and the pressure of the late playoffs-into the world series. Hopefully our pitching will do its thing against anything the AL has got.. The way it seems right now, the Mets certainly seem unstoppable. It's a good feeling, a good time to be a Mets fan for sure. It's been an exciting ride.. Back in July I had a feeling and it was only that, I was happy that my team was doing well. I feel as I should start getting confident, but being a Mets fan my whole life has taught me otherwise.

I think the mets need the rest and it will do them well, you guys put in a lot of work the past 2 months and of course you got harveys bitch ass on an imaginary pitch count

assuming the royals dont have a massive fuck up this is gonna be a great world series i think

A great pitching team against a team that really fights at the plate and works the count.

Daniel-Murphy-Cubs-Curse-696x348.jpg

I have been wowed by the Mets. Amazing indeed.

Assuming KC gets the one more win, this will be an epic world series. Both teams with relatively modest payrolls (#14 and #15, $125m for KC, $120 for the Mets) who haven't gone for too many big name acquisitions (as Toronto did, effectively trading their future for this playoff run and ensuring years of mediocrity to follow) but brought a lot of talent up from the farm system and cheap too. I'm not a Mets fan but listen to my share of sports radio here in NYC and remember that for years all people would call in about the Mets is needing to spend more money, needing to spend more money, Bernie Madoff, Bernie Madoff ... but without doing that, look where they are now. Same with the Royals. Small ball, money ball, smart ball. Mets have the edge in starting pitching, KC probably has better defense, bullpen, and despite some hot bats in the Mets, probably hitting as well. It would take aboslutely shut down lights out pitching and some clutch hitting for the Mets to prevail but they've proved they're capable of it, running through Greinke and Kershaw in the NLDS, and similar performance from their starters as held down the Cubs and Dodgers alike. The Royals are formidable though and known for making the late inning comeback, they'll be dangerous in the last few innings before Familia can get on. The Blue Jays, if they manage to battle their way back, have the aggressive offense but I think they would be far less of a challenge against the Mets TBH. Either way I'll be really enthusiastic to watch. Again assuming it's the Royals (remember what they say about assumptions) these have been during this season (and in the case of the Royals last season too) some of the teams other than my Yankees who I have had the most fun watching, so it will be pretty amazing to watch. I'm kind of pulling for the Mets although something in me is like, blah blah blah crosstown ... but yeah, like I said, I've got a lot of friends who love the Mets, I loved going to Citi field, they've been a great team with a great story this year. Last year I was all the way pulling for Kansas City for similar reasons and because they were super fun to watch. That will be some matchup, if it goes that way. If it's Toronto I'm all the way pulling for the Mets out of sheer spite :)

Congrats Mets!
GL Royals tomorrow night!

Its funny you mention NY sports radio and the whole Madoff-money issue SKL. Just this morning I was listening to WFAN and Beinigno and Roberts were saying how the Mets being cash poor has been a blessing in disguise. It has forced Alderson to not make the splashy free agent signings but build from their own and other teams prospects. We forget they traded Dickey after a Cy Young award season getting both D'Arnaud and Syndergaard in return. Harvey, de Grom, Matz, Familia, Lagares... the list goes on and on not even considering Wright or Murphy. Other than Cespedes and Granderson, every move Alderson and before him Manya made over the past 5 or 6 years have been value deals or drafts that are now turning to gold. The radio compared it aptly to when Steinbrenner was suspended, allowing Gene Michael to do his thing and we all know how that turned out. We will see over the next few years, starting with Murphy this off-season if the Mets have the will and resources to keep this together.

I only can pray the Yankees are where the Mets were 2 or 3 years ago. Lots of young talent that develops into winners. Christ, I cant believe I just said that. :)

^ Yeah exactly, and this too:

Kittycat5 said:
I only can pray the Yankees are where the Mets were 2 or 3 years ago. Lots of young talent that develops into winners. Christ, I cant believe I just said that.

Totally agree. A lot of people were angry about not getting Tulo and/or Price and them going to Toronto which definitely gave them a boost, but I'm glad that we didn't give up some of our prospects who really are excellent. Severino & Bird already showing potential in the big league, Refsnyder a bit too. Flores & Heathcott I thought looked promising especially Flores defensively for the very brief intervals before injury took them away. Really hyping this Jorge Mateo kid but he may not be ready for a year or two. Trading all of these guys away for a run this year would be basically doing what Toronto did which I really have a strong suspicion is not going to end well for them this year, maybe even tonight.

I've gotta work tonight and we don't have FS1 there but I have At Bat app on my phone so I'll be listening to it through whatever the Kansas City radio station is.

I only can pray the Yankees are where the Mets were 2 or 3 years ago. Lots of young talent that develops into winners. Christ, I cant believe I just said that.

Thats pretty much what our entire team consists of we just have a lot of bad contracts we have to get rid of in 2 or 3 years.

You saw how well we did we the talent we have now, we still have 5 or 6 guys who could come into the league right now but 2 of them are outfielders including judge and we have a top notch short stop

But as far as our minor league system is concerned its the best its been since the late 90s

So it's Kansas City. Good game from what I was able to hear of it but was occupied with work too. This is gonna be a great WS. I see it going to 6 maybe 7 games. Like I was saying above they are somewhat similar but with different areas of strength. I'd have to give the edge to KC by a nose but I can't help but feel good for the Metropolitans (work late alot, so listen often to Steve Somers!) and cheer them on, they deserve it but you could say the same about the Royals too. Even their last rings long up Royals. 1985 to the Mets 1986. Super pumped for what should be a great series.

mets vs. royals. i mean, if you had predicted this a few years ago people would have laughed. no yankees, no giants, no red sox, no cardinals... should be a very exciting series based on the league championships.
Even their last rings long up Royals.
what on earth does that mean?

alasdair