What happened to Washington, DC?!

ufoskergirl

Bluelighter
I used to go to many big events (raves) in Washington, DC area in the past three years and since buzz was shut down in Sept 2002, I do not see any big parties anymore! :( I keep on checking events in every websites I used to check including this "events: northeast" threads, I dont see any big parties....most of them are in Mass or NYC! Fucking Dammit....What happened to Washington, DC area??? Is it just because of Rave Act???? I wanna know what's up?! *sigh* I have not gone to a REAL party since last Fall! Grrr............Anyone else in Wash, DC area agree with me???

any concrete word on starscape?

Lonnie was quoted from an interview he did with URB magazine about the costly djs he had to put up with with throwing his parties especially the armory parties, and in particular he mentioned PVD & Boy George name. ANyways so because of all of that, the high costs he said that he's NOT going to throw a starscape party this year, that he's focusing mainly on SONAR his club/lounge. I don't have that issue anymore, but it was from URB magazine from 3 or 4 months ago.
And actually SONAR has been rockin for the past weeks eventhough its medium-sized, but last wknd. dj craze & Adam F spun a sick tag-team 4hr. set of dark jungle with hip-hop and scratches, & Lonnie himself spun that night too, VERY GOOD show for $15 Coming up is LTJ Bukem, BT, etc.

And I feel you "ufoskergirl" about no more big parties happening in the D.C. & even the B-more areas, its becuase of both that rave act that was passed here and especially with BUZZ shutting down. That "rave act" killed any thought of throwing anymore MASSIVES around here. Me, I luv MASSIVES & BIG, BIG parties. I personally luv assembling with thousands of people to dance & party til 7 in the morning, but govt. officials around here don't seek or understand (yours & mine) our similiar views & interests with this scene.
And BUZZ shutting down was a MAJOR crossroads for big djs to stop through to spin at one of the best clubs in the U.S.. So with BUZZ gone, no more big djs stopping threw.
But anyways theres still things happening though. Look @ the DC Tunnel to be hot in Apr. and BUZZlife Prod. parties are returning around closer to the D.C. area by throwing some parties in Northern VA. and others.

but yeah our "area scene" is rebuilding after those 2 big incidents.

sugafist said:
Lonnie was quoted from an interview he did with URB magazine about the costly djs he had to put up with with throwing his parties especially the armory parties, and in particular he mentioned PVD & Boy George name. ANyways so because of all of that, the high costs he said that he's NOT going to throw a starscape party this year, that he's focusing mainly on SONAR his club/lounge. I don't have that issue anymore, but it was from URB magazine from 3 or 4 months ago.
Call me selfish if you like (cuz you're right), but I'm glad he's taking a year off... otherwise Starscape would've most likely been the day after my brother's (nighttime) high school graduation ceremony and y'all woulda been there and I would've been... not at Starscape. And therefore very upset.

As long as we get a Starscape next year, though... *crosses fingers*
Peace ~Katie

my friend lives in DC for school right now and he goes out to parties and stuff...? what type of music do you like?

I emailed Lonnie about a month ago. And he told me that Starscape was in the works. He told me that he was leaning away from One Offs cause its just too much of a hassle...but Starscape is his pride and joy. So i would say there might be a good chance for Starscape...(then again you cant always trust what the promoters tell you either)

oh but wait, Starscape 2003 might still be happening. Organizing & planning are in the works now, its just that Lonnie & others want confirmation from city, police & govt. officials first before going ahead with it here especially with that "rave act" in place and previous negative reviews about his previous parties he threw. (ex. radiate)

FUCK, I want Starscape to happen, its always been held around my b-day & I've never missed my b-day Starscape party yet

but this year if it definitely happens I guarantees it will happen June 7th

ufoskergirl said:
I used to go to many big events (raves) in Washington, DC area in the past three years and since buzz was shut down in Sept 2002, I do not see any big parties anymore! :( I keep on checking events in every websites I used to check including this "events: northeast" threads, I dont see any big parties....most of them are in Mass or NYC! Fucking Dammit....What happened to Washington, DC area??? Is it just because of Rave Act???? I wanna know what's up?! *sigh* I have not gone to a REAL party since last Fall! Grrr............Anyone else in Wash, DC area agree with me???

There are still plenty of events going on around here... you just have to know where to look. Nothing massive, but still, there are things to do and places to go. Have a look at buzzlife.com, check their message board and look at unbuzz events. Or, you could get to know some of the other local bluelighters and hang with us... I can usually find *something* to do on the weekends. ;)

sugafist said:
oh but wait, Starscape 2003 might still be happening. Organizing & planning are in the works now, its just that Lonnie & others want confirmation from city, police & govt. officials first before going ahead with it here especially with that "rave act" in place and previous negative reviews about his previous parties he threw. (ex. radiate)

yea, i just got an email about that
*crosses every finger and toe*

sugafist said:
but this year if it definitely happens I guarantees it will happen June 7th
Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Thats what I was afraid of.

Sure, they just had to choose THIS year to let my stoopid brother graduate... *kicks ground and walks away*

there better be a starscape, that was one of the best times of my life last year. ill be uber pissed if it doesnt happen

chrissie said:
any concrete word on starscape?

Nothing concrete as of yet, but I received a mass email from Lonnie Fisher today, so I copied it for you guys:

-------------------------
3 : 24 : 03

It's been a while since our last communication, we hope everyone is holdin up alright. More and more each day, people start to ask us what is going on with Starscape this year. We have remained quiet about it, but rather than let the emails and the questions continue to build, here is the scoop.

Essentially, we are working on getting various levels of assurances from the Baltimore City Government that once permits are issued, the event will take place as planned. This requires the continuing effort on our part to elevate the event to status of "city festival", not "dj concert", not "party", and certainly not a "rave". We don't need to go over recent history for everyone to know how precarious the balance is right now for holding events.

The other part of the equation is to make sure that the event doesn't become part of a plan of the government's to insure that it is the last one. Basically, we don't want ourselves or anyone to walk into an event that is set up to be a trap. We will not have the "last" Starscape be one that taints the images of the previous events. Naturally, if the event does happen, it will be scrutinized higher than ever before, and in that sense, the future of Starscape is really in the hands of the conducts of the patrons.

Information on Starscape will appear at www.ultraworld.net as soon as it is available.

Also, at this point, with our club Sonar in full swing, we don't want to jeopardize anything we have going on there. With regards to that, things have stepped up considerably for us. Within the immediate month before and after today's date, we've had or will have had DEEP DISH, DOC MARTIN, DJ KRUSH, CRAZE, TRIPLE THREAT, SANDER KLEINENBERG, TYRANT, ICEY, FEELGOOD, and the list goes on... People are often making the drive from cities hours away, so we wanted to invite everyone to again join the Sonar email mailing list, or at least be aware of the website to get information. That is at www.sonarlounge.com or www.sonar.us .
---------------------------------

Thats all the news I've heard lately. I'd say check back at ultraworld's site in a couple weeks for a possible update.

As a resident of the Baltimore/DC area, I agree things have DEFINETLY not been the same since Buzz closed and since Ultraworld lost use of the armory. I think a lot of us didn't realize what we had till it was gone. But, there is some good news for the DC area.... DC Skillz has thrown I think 4 parties in the past year and they have all been great. I went to their most recent one, Avalanche, in December, and it was amazing. And (supposedly) there is going to be a
NEW WEEKLY PARTY IN DC at the DC Tunnel every Friday night (don't hold me to this cause I only just heard about it the other day). For those of you who haven't been to the DC Tunnel it is actually fairly big, which is always nice. The "main room" is about as big as the main floor of the main room at Buzz (not counting upper levels of course), and they have a few smaller side rooms

sugafist said:
FUCK, I want Starscape to happen, its always been held around my b-day & I've never missed my b-day Starscape party yet

I'm right there with you on that one. My bday is June 11, and for the past 2 years Starscape has more or less been my birthday party. (I lie and tell everyone my bday is the actual day of Starscape cause I find people are more inclined to be like "wow cool its your bday" hehe)

as starlightgemini mentioned, THERE'S A NEW LAGRE-SCALE WEEKLY EVENT IN DC starting april 19! dcskillz http://www.dcskillz.com/flash2.htm is doing it and it's at the same venue they've used for their one-offs, the dc tunnel. check their site - line-ups are posted - bt's there the first week and john kelly and juan atkins are there the next.

other than that though all the action's in baltimore. sonar has killer line-ups often several times a week and buzz @ trust is always good too. problem is clubs that serve alcohol must close at 2am.

hey guys. I just moved to arlington, and i dont know anyone here or where any parties are or anything. is there anyone who could just let me know where to go and all?? thanks so much

kate

IM- Pixiedustxx