• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alcoholism Discussion Thread Version 7.0

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Welcome to the new alcoholism thread in which to discuss all things related to excessive drinking and alcoholism.
This is a place for serious discussion, only about alcohol: your past experiences, what you are currently going through, strategies for quitting or cutting down your drinking, or to simply express your general day-to-day feelings.
Feel free to say whatever you need to, there are plenty of people here with experience who can relate - You will not be judged or looked down upon.
Your problem, no matter how large or small, is critical to you, and taken very seriously by us too.

We are here to listen and to learn, and to provide support for those in need, not to glamorize or condone drinking.
Please keep in mind content which might be triggering to those who are trying to abstain from drinking, and refrain from posting any such comments.

The previous Alcoholism Discussion thread can be found here

Last few posts from 6.0

Today was day 9 for me totally sober. Not looking for a pat on the back, more just to record my progress.

Well I will give you that pat anyways and tell you that I am proud of you and you should be too! 9 Days is a long fucking time.

Thanks dude, I'm not really missing it surprisingly.

Had 2 cans of malt liquor last night after going 11 days totally sober. Not gonna beat myself up over it tho. Need to get back to the gym tomorrow.

Hope all looks good nutty. Liver is a tank.

You have been doing amazing things.. hey 4 real.. take a minute and give yourself a ton love for this everyday.

I talked to my doctor today... I have a bit of fatty liver going on which wasn't really a surprise. I guess it's pretty common with drinkers. The good thing is it's reversible apparently so I should be ok as long as I keep taking care of myself. I'll be going back to the doctor's in 2 or 3 weeks to get my blood drawn again and see if my liver enzymes have gone down. I'm pretty sure they will have by then.

My liver is totally fine somehow... it really really shouldn't be. Best of luck to you.

Thanks.

Oh, and am I the only one trying to stay sober in this thread? lol There must be other people.

Had a dream I was buying beer... started out with PBR, then went to a store and was trying to buy some craft beer.

Weird thing about the dream was that I was rushing around to "stock up" because a storm was coming..... :?

I figured out what the storm was: My Alcoholic Uncle was just found dead..... not going to drink over it.

Sorry to hear that. I slipped up this weekend but I'm not gonna beat myself up. Gotta get back to the gym tomorrow.

Alcoholism has been a very formidable beast for me, but I think I'm gaining some momentum, despite a recent binge. I went to rehab in March, and attained 2 months of sobriety before slipping up. I then had a brief hospital detox and made plans to go to a 5 day program, and I'm considering residential after that. I started Naltrexone (50 mg) a couple of days ago while in detox. I'm told and have read that it relieves cravings and likelihood of a relapse. I'm not sure if its effects are immediate, or if the drug needs to be in my system for a certain amount of time, but I haven't been having cravings since I got home. There seem to be some unpleasant side effects (nausea, headaches) but I'm hoping they'll subside over time. During my relapse, I was drinking a fifth of heavy booze a day, and it did a number on me. I think I've learned from it, though, and am prepared to get right back to work with my recovery.

I'm excited to regain wellness but am still nervous. My liver has taken a lot of punishment over the years so I'm not sure what kind of shape it's in. My enzyme levels were sky high many a-time.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying well. It is an illness, and a complete bastard. But it's taught me a lot.

Get my blood checked again next Thursday... I'm pretty confident that my enzyme levels will be a lot better. I've slipped up a handful of times here and there, but for the most part I've been totally sober, am eating good and I'm serious about my weight lifting again.

Power to you man. Deciding to break the pattern is the hardest step if you ask me. Once the physical part of the addiction is out of the way (after 9 days you're pretty much there), now you got a different kind of addiction to break. Now it's more mental and emotional and perhaps spiritual. You'll likely have to address these too now some how. Lots of ways to do this but not all of them are very effective. Some swear by A.A. I don't care for it, but that's my own bias. Touch all perceptual realities to some extent (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual (whatever that means to you)) and I pray you won't have to think of yourself as a recovering alcoholic for the rest of your life. You can be a person who overcame. Who doesn't hold sobriety by force. Some will fight me to the death on this viewpoint, but I refuse to be a victim. The only constant in this life is change.

Got called back yesterday about my blood results... They said my enzyme levels have normalized so that was great news obviously.

Still on the wagon. Tomorrow it'll be five weeks, before that relapse I had a couple of months. I've been sober for the majority of this year so far. I was on Antabuse for a while but I stopped recently. Sometimes I entertain the idea of having a drink, and that might have something to do with it. Also I'm worried about its effect on my liver. I'm told it stays in your system for a good two weeks after your last dose, so I could still take one every once in a while and it'll do the trick. I'm not about to find out what it's like to drink on that stuff.

One thing that's tough is simply trying to enjoy myself, even for a short while. It would seem like such a break to finally drink or get high. I don't fool myself into thinking that I can moderate, because I honestly have no interest in moderation when I drink/use. It just doesn't do it for me. The way I drink, it has no valid place in my life. And considering how I want to live my life, professionally and otherwise, I need to steer clear.

Hope all is well with everyone else. Being in a program does help. I don't attend AA or NA, but I'm in an outpatient program 3 days a week right now. I definitely recommend it. It can get redundant but it keeps you aware.

Is your outpatient encouraging you to do 12 step meetings?

Hope everyone is doing well,

I haven't had a drink or drug in 1 year, 1 month and 14 days. If I can do it, anyone can.

why does alcohol keep on drawing me back in, its realy not even that great of a high but when all else fails theres always that liqour store, open everyday no waiting 3 hours on some corner hoping somone will show up. im seriously thinking about just going back to shooting black, drinking is just destroying my life. heroin seems like a step up most of the time, but part of me knows im just telling myself lies

I was a serious alcoholic for about 12 years or so. Quitting the drink is one of the hardest things I ever did. Been years and I still crave it. Just have to think of something else the very second your mind craves a drink.

Been on it for like 8 years. My dad has alcoholism and his dad died from it.. I know I can quit. But fuck its hard. All the best to ya all. <3 <3

Last edited: