Writing-up Have you ever taken mephedrone?

NewDrugsResearch

Bluelighter
Hi,

My name is Zoe Davey and I am a PhD student from King’s College London. I am carrying out a research study to find out why people decide to use mephedrone, how people use mephedrone, their positive and negative experiences of mephedrone use, and how this changes over time.

If you are aged 18 or over and have tried mephedrone (aka 4-methylmethcathinone, mcat,drone, bubble, meow-meow), even if it was only once, then it would be great if you could take part in a short online survey. It should take no more than 30 minutes to complete. All of your answers will be anonymous and confidential.

Follow the link below for more information and to access the survey.

https://kings.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/mephedrone-survey-1

The survey will be open from 24 March 2015 to 30 June 2015. This study has received ethics approval from King’s College London, Psychiatry Nursing and Midwifery Research Ethics Subcommittee (PNM/13/14-27).

If you would like further information about the study please let me know or you can contact me by email ([email protected]) or PM.

Thanks

Zoe

Please get behind this survey if you are eligible. Zoe has kindly donated to Bluelight (thanks, Zoe!) and we are supporting this project with site wide promotion. We have also done some piloting work on the questionnaire (thanks to the Bluelight moderator team), much of which Zoe has taken on board.

The case of mephedrone is an important one to understand, as it is one of the few novel substances that has developed into its own market after it became illegal, at least in the UK. This project is certainly the most detailed I have seen on the topic.

If you have any concerns or comments on this project, please place them here.

As Zoe is due to go on maternity leave very soon, there may be some delay in responding - for very good reason! :)

It was, as was mentioned beforehand, quite a long survey. However, I felt this was justified by the depth of the survey.

It wasn't a chore to complete as it actually made me consider some things that I never really had before.

Best of luck with the survey, new babbie, and PhD <3

Zoe has kindly donated to Bluelight (thanks, Zoe!)

Given typical stipends / salaries for doctoral candidates, we should be doubly thankful.

ebola

I have to ask, why is a drug like this being looked into?

the "bath salt" seems to be a cons>pros type-drug.

This is a psychological investigation, not a clinical trial for a possible drug to be put into medical use.

ebola

I have to ask, why is a drug like this being looked into?

the "bath salt" seems to be a cons>pros type-drug.

I think they are trying to estimate the potential for abuse and addiction.

I just toook the survey and it asked a lot of questions entailing "when was the last time you took mephedrone"
"how old were you when you first tried it."

Its seems they just want to know the age groups and and infomation about who uses this kinda stuff. How many people can't resist it, and how many people don't care for it.
Then with enough research, they may be able to develop some kind of drug that acts similar to methylphenedate without as harsh of side effects. Or feelings of cravings.

I can see mephedrone being used by Pharma to assist those who can't concentrate on daily life. That's why they research stuff like this. And need the honest answers from people's experiences because it's honest, and reliable information right from the source. I bet they are trying to develop an "ADHD" pill out of mephedrone to help kids concentrate. It makes you so focused, but not euphoric like MDMA. It's perfect for studying and not too strong that you just wanna jump around, lol

~Verri

This is a psychological investigation, not a clinical trial for a possible drug to be put into medical use.

ebola

Ohh whoops missed you say that. I thought they were doing medical research.

Thank you so much to those of you who have already completed the survey - the response after just 1 day has been really fantastic...If you are eligible I really hope you can find the time to complete the survey so that the results are as strong as they can be!!

As Don Luigi says, there are a couple of sections of the survey which can take longer to complete depending on your responses, but I have tried my best after a couple of rounds of piloting with the BL moderating group and others to make the survey as simple to complete as possible without losing the more detailed questions that will hopefully give us a much better understanding of mephedrone use. It's great to know that you find it interesting too!

Zoe.

Xanax XR and Papaverium - ebola? is right....this is not a clinical study. I am mainly interested in the finding out more about the nature of mephedrone use...patterns of use, effects, reasons and motivations for use, consequences of use etc. I think it is a particularly interesting case from recent years in terms of how it emerged onto the RC scene and then moved very quickly into the mainstream to become a pretty established club drug.

If you have any more questions about the study please let me know...

Zoe.

On the whole a great survey, well-designed and clear. My only minor gripe is that it might have included a question on whether the participant, on the whole, regrets their usage of mephedrone, but of course as a participant one isn't supposed to know the purpose of the research, so who am I to criticise?

Will your final research eventually be published, and if so could you let us have a link to it (I'm sure many BLers have legitimate access to a number of journals)?

Thanks Waterfall - glad you liked the survey and thanks for your feedback. I think those more reflective questions about people's use of mephedrone are interesting ones. I guess the survey attempts to touch on this by asking about future use intentions (although I know it is not quite the same). However, this survey is only one part of my PhD and it is possible that these issues may emerge from some of the qualitative I have carried out and will be carrying out later down the track.

Hopefully my research will be published in some way and I will link the results of my research to BL when I have them.

Thanks again! Zoe.

Done :) Although my information may be of limited use since I have only tried true 4MMC once...tried so find the real thing many times since, although all imitations.

both times it gave me a nosebleed a real shitty drug some slight visual halucinations very harsh on the nose never again

I have never had a problem with substance abuse and at age 83 my health is very good. If I have any regrets, it is the damn cigarette.

I'm anxious to see the results of the survey.

CRONEN

Of course , it was a chemical that would have been my fave but then found mdpv, more stimulants,more crave less drip.