Site Feedback Why is Bluelight ashamed of the Lounge yet not ashamed of The Shrine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Thousand Words

Bluelighter
Serious question. If we are worried about our public appearance why do we still highlight the deaths of our members? Is it not a failure of the Harm reduction ethos for moderators to overdose while handing out advice to members? What is more unsavory, someone being called a bad name, or someone dying from drugs?

Is there any process in place to correlate and track the reasons for each member ending up in the Shrine. Surely in the name of public health and safety we should feel some responsibility for peoples unfortunate demise when we are often inadvertently promoting the causes of these deaths?

Are there any checks on who moderates and decides the direction of HR advice given, and if there are an increase in deaths or misadventure from a particular substance, why do we still in good conscience continue to promote it's use?

Last edited:
Serious question. If we are worried about our public appearance why do we still highlight the deaths of our members? Is it not a failure of the Harm reduction ethos for moderators to overdose while handing out advice to members? What is more unsavory, someone being called a bad name, or someone dying from drugs?
Calling someone a "bad name" and fatal overdoses will happen. One is easily avoided and another isn't. One impacts the site and it's goal negatively. Which is which? I'll give you a hint: you can't avoid OD's, but you can avoid someone in TL calling another a "nigger faggot."

Is there any process in place to correlate and track the reasons for each member ending up in the Shrine. Surely in the name of public health and safety we should feel some responsibility for peoples unfortunate demise when we are often inadvertently promoting the causes of these deaths?
Dude, HR is providing information and letting people choose what they do. Dexters gonna Dex. No one can 100% avoid that.

Are there any checks on who moderates and decides the direction of HR advice given, and if there are an increase in deaths or misadventure from a particular substance, why do we still in good conscience continue to promote it's use?
No use is promoted.

I'm all for TL -it's the only forum I browse. But having been on both sides, I could unequivocally tell you you're wrong.

Yea. Plus all the rap threads should be taken out of the "best of bluelight" so that rap music can be supported here.

There's plenty of places for soundcloud, or breaking down jam bands, or poems and words; but not much room or allowance for freestyle or slam poetry.

^ 100% agree

Yeah, phrozen is pretty right with what he said. However, I really don't think the lounge is such a huge issue. It's been around for how long... I mean if it bothers you then ignore it. Eadd isn't going to become a hidden forum and it's like the lounge for Europeans. What if I complained about every forum that bothered me? What if we all did? Then everything would end up gone besides drug specific forums. Not everything on here is directed to just specifically harm reduction.... we need a sense of community too. The lounge is the obnoxious family members of bluelight. We need a place too and we shouldn't have to hide.

It probably comes down to the reactive effect of having the joining information guide you there over a several year time period.

Yeah, phrozen is pretty right with what he said. However, I really don't think the lounge is such a huge issue. It's been around for how long... I mean if it bothers you then ignore it. Eadd isn't going to become a hidden forum and it's like the lounge for Europeans. What if I complained about every forum that bothered me? What if we all did? Then everything would end up gone besides drug specific forums. Not everything on here is directed to just specifically harm reduction.... we need a sense of community too. The lounge is the obnoxious family members of bluelight. We need a place too and we shouldn't have to hide.

I think Bluelight would be better off if everyone voiced complaints and suggestions.

In a couple years, I've seen a LOT of closed threads that could easily have been a discussion or starting place for conflict management and site improvement.

I think Bluelight would be better off if everyone voiced complaints and suggestions.

In a couple years, I've seen a LOT of closed threads that could easily have been a discussion or starting place for conflict management and site improvement.
It is good to list our complaints, but I'm more referring to the smaller things. Yes, I see the lounge as a small issue and honestly doing this all just made things more complicated for nothing. It is evident that not everyone is going to like certain things on here, but as long as it's not causing people to kill themselves and od on drugs I really don't see the problem. And if something from the lounge really made someone kill themselves then I think that person had no chance of being saved anyways (clearly if you'd end your life over something so stupid).

When loungers get out of hand we have mods.
We follow rules.
And if we don't, we get banned.
I've been banned.
It happens..... but it doesn't if you follow the rules.

The problem is that with drug company clinical trials for allowing prescriptions you need things like long-term studies, data, numbers, testimony, volunteers including demographic information.

If you were to just think on the big picture scale, things that may seem "little" or "stupid" now, could be included in sources of future clinical trials and policy changes in a negative way.

Right now things don't matter, but using hindsight, self-testimony could be compromised for future endeavors.

The problem is that with drug company clinical trials for allowing prescriptions you need things like long-term studies, data, numbers, testimony, volunteers including demographic information.

If you were to just think on the big picture scale, things that may seem "little" or "stupid" now, could be included in sources of future clinical trials and policy changes in a negative way.
Then let's shutdown everything else too besides the drug specific forums if that's the case.

Well I have no say in how Bluelight is run, I'm just voicing my opinion.

The reasoning I could see other sub-forums being an exception to the rule is that things like word-play, music therapy, painting, etc. are all used even currently in psychotherapy.

Well I have no say in how Bluelight is run, I'm just voicing my opinion.

The reasoning I could see other sub-forums being an exception to the rule is that things like word-play, music therapy, painting, etc. are all used even currently in psychotherapy.

Me too, but there are a lot of sub-forums that don't fit into what you just listed. That's all I'm getting at.

Sad part about it is that they taunt people who care and it's those people who actually make the community. If people didn't care, then Bluelight would be just another spam forum. Sad that they poke fun of people who actually give a shit. Got to lol at the loungers who donated. That's exactly why I didn't donate. Knew this was coming.

Me too, but there are a lot of sub-forums that don't fit into what you just listed. That's all I'm getting at.

My point that I've stressed, and I'll say it again; people need the ability to delete archived posts. And now clearly, unless this is just a publicity stunt, some way to delete old "Lounge" posts if they so choose.

This all comes down to money and what is going to keep the servers running.

Last edited:
Even if the site were to stop running Id say its served its purpose well with all the information on the public domain.

I highly doubt a harm reduction website for MDMA safety is entirely monetarily dependent on a joke section.

And supporters will be more comfortable in investing if they aren't given morally questionable content to defend in doing so.

A lot of the lounge content is inherently, anti, harm reduction. The warnings are not serious enough imo.

Last edited:
There should be a forum for the Rejects! I propose "The Pub"

We all know The Lounge is now a place for VIP's. You better be popular or have connections with a few of the moderators.

I know I'm not going to make the cut, and I've never sent a request. After all, it would be a waste of time.

What about the rejects! Shouldn't we have a place of our own?

Right now, I proposing the idea of a new forum for us who didn't make the cut!

My proposal is: The Pub

It'll be a place for all the guys who didn't make the cut for The Lounge.

If the Bluelight decides not oblige by the request of bluelighters who advocate something for everyone... Well then...

The Bluelight is a prejudice narrow minded super conservative backwards thinking favoritism feudalism piece of garbage.

Hopefully this thread stands. Power to the Peasants!

REVERSE THE ROOT!

Calling someone a "bad name" and fatal overdoses will happen. One is easily avoided and another isn't. One impacts the site and it's goal negatively. Which is which? I'll give you a hint: you can't avoid OD's, but you can avoid someone in TL calling another a "nigger faggot."

Dude, HR is providing information and letting people choose what they do. Dexters gonna Dex. No one can 100% avoid that.

No use is promoted.

I'm all for TL -it's the only forum I browse. But having been on both sides, I could unequivocally tell you you're wrong.
No use is promoted? What a load of horse shit. It might suit your legal defense to cry that bluelight doesn't promote drug use but we are all here because we use, and want it to be done safely.

I also disagree that overdoses are inevitable. I have been a member here since 2001. Back then this was a place for fellow ravers to talk shit before the weekend and talk about shit that happened on the weekend. We fostered drug use in a responsible manner, calling out irresponsible and down right dangerous habits. If someone was consuming stupid amounts they were knocked down quickly. Herion was even discouraged.

Now I accept things will grow and change but I cant accept moderators throwing their hands up and giving up. Even worse is preventing people for voicing a negative opinion because someone's feelings might get hurt. You can't call someone a junkie scum because it has negative conitations? Well stop acting like junkie scum and thinking that being an addict is a normal accepted existence.

Once again I ask why are we not using our community to track the harm being inflicted and who should be held responsible when the senior staff fail its members?

Things like that really cross over into the self-medicating argument.

Do psycs have benefits, of course. Do people need to blow off steam, of course.

But environments that are too stressful or uninviting push people to use more than they should.

This is why Ive suggested a psychology subforum before. To seperate the dichotomy of advice or content that is self-medicating vs. for fun or self-exploration.

Status
Not open for further replies.