Site Feedback Why is Bluelight ashamed of the Lounge yet not ashamed of The Shrine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bluelighters die for many different reasons. yes, the lowest common denominator is that they are dead but i think that lumping them all into one category - deceased - will just lead people to assume they were 'just' junkies who died of "an od" or "because of drugs".

we're up in arms when the media assumes that somebody died because of mdma when they died and they took mdma and we have no idea if mdma was a factor in their death.

i feel like our changing people's avatars or titles when they die does them a disservice. i also feel that, when somebody dies there can often be a chorus of "it's what he would have wanted". i'd rather not assume anybody truly knows what somebody would have wanted. that also seems disrespectful to me. but that's just my opinion.

alasdair

Agreed Alasdair. I think apart from disabling the active light, deceased members accounts should be left as they were. There's no need to draw any further attention to the sad fact that they are no longer with us.

Good point Alasdair,
We can't say what someone would have wanted… it's not a guessing game, not up to us to change anything without asking the person.
I say leave as is, do the respectful thing…. keep the avatar.

I've been itching to teply to this (other) thread since it was produced but unfortunately being thrust into the cells of Banville permitted such an opportunely ;). So here goes a much wanted n eager reply. First off, please note that this post is only my opinions n feelings n isn't aiming in any way to be offensive or cause any dispute, but is my reply to recent posts, statements n events.

OTW, whilst I have a lot of admiration for you n like you, finding you intelligent, comical n an all-round interesting poster, in this instance I disagree with both of your statements, regarding The Shrine n EADD. Here's why.

First, let's start with EADD.

I don't believe that there are more deaths in EADD than any other sub-forum n here's why. In EADD most of the members reside in the UK or Ireland, with others obviously spread across Europe or Africa but infrequently in comparison to the UK n Ireland. The reason I'm stating this (and I could bet that if Admins, using IP addresses, could verify this as fact) is because, with the popular n the two Islands being small in comparison to the rest of the world, people are more likely to keep in touch n keep track of one another so to speak; with technologies such mobile phones. People are more likely to keep in touch because it's cheaper to do do (I'm getting to the point pls be patient) n thus if something happens ie the individual dies, then will MORE THAN LIKELY find out about it.

EADD members are very close to one another so things like deaths are easier to discover, than let's say the sub-forum, Other-Drugs, which (I think, please Admins correct me if I'm incorrect) holds around 500 active posters at a specific time. I ask you the question; "What's the likelihood of a sub-forum, holding an average of 500 members, becoming an extremely close community to the point most members know each other on a more 'personal' level, compared with a sub-forum (I'm estimating here) holding an average of 20 members? Members of EADD, due to location n population (area n sub-forum) often know each other to the point that they're in contact with other member's friends / relations n so forth n thus is how an individual's death is found out. If I'm correct Mugz' death was discovered this way (another member close to him discovered his passing from, I think, his cousin. I ask you what is the likelihood of this happening on a forum like Other Drugs? (Please note here, that I'm not trying to pick faults with other sub-forums of Bluelight, but merely including for exemplars or to illustrate my points - I feel that all sub-forums are beneficial in many different ways).

So to summarise so far. Not everything is as it seems. It APPEARS that there are more deaths in EADD than any other sub-forum on Bluelight. This does NOT mean that this is the case as I've stated above. Sadly, there may be deaths of members that we do not know n may never know. And as Alasdair as stated, Bluelighter's death are not always due to drugs, as is the case for the worlds' population, but may be accidental, due to illness or suicidal. So thus DEATHS OF BLUELIGHTERS IS NOT AN INDICATION OF POOR HARM REDUCTION TECHNIQUES OR KNOWLEDGE ON BLUELIGHT. I've capitalised this m, not because I'm shouting but because myths like this are dangerous - it may prevent / persuade someone from coming to BL n gaining the necessary HR they. In other words people may not access HR info that could save from from ODing or save their life therefore they may end up dead.

In EADD, we are close, as I've already stated, and so when someone is in need of help, guidance, support, cheering-up or whatever---there's often member(s) there to aid this. Using my own experience as an example, when I felt extremely low there was at least FIVE members there for me n this was during a temp-ban; one of which phoned me up. They helped get me through that difficult time with their support n honestly even though, at the time it was difficult to 'hear' (anyone who has any communication with me will know I'm not the best at dealing with criticism).

Several times, members of EADD have expressed concern for other members who are not in a good place n have tried helping---whether this was listening, advising, giving tough-love. Sometimes, it's worked, sometimes it's a work-in-progress n sometimes, unfortunately, it doesn't work. Unfortunately, individuals are their own person n their own worst enemy n, as has already been iterated, people can only do so much to help others. If, for whatever reason, a person is heading for self-destruction, sadly there'd not a lot anyone can do but offer support, be there for them.

In terms of substance-accessibility (eg of RCs n other illegal or illegal substances) because different countries / continents n impact on death-rate, I cannot comment or give any opinion as I've not enough knowledge of this to do so n thus would be wasting everyone's time. However, I do believe that someone has already commented on this as an other reason for re-ocurring deaths in EADD. So, although I cannot comment, I thought it was important to make reference to that in this post (will re-look n include name of poster here later).

Personally, I would give praise to Foreigner as he openly admitted that he had made a mistake in make The Lounge a hidden forum. He could have easily hidden behind the "us admins made a mistake," but he took responsibly n let this know to an angry group of "Lounge Rats," n the rest of Bluelight. Personally I think that takes guts, is incredibly brave n know that I would not be able to do that. The Admins listened to the members n rectified their mistake. I'd say kudos as they could have easily not done so. I like the fact in knowing that, although they receive a lot of unnecessary stick (in my opinion), they listen to us, Bluelighters.

Why I think hidden sub-forum(s) or un-moderated sub-forums would be an anti-HR nightmare

Using my experience I'll illustrate this. I went to a forum awhile back (naming n shaming is irrelevant---will stay with the facts). One particular forum had a hidden, un-moderated area. I was in my element with thoughts like, "yay, I can say what I like here." I did so n ended inflaming the whole forum (I'm no angel, not going to sit here n make out I was, but this is an illustration of how things can go very wrong). As I said I was in a dark place, was drinking a lot, was depressed, was incredible negative n wanted to take this out on the world n did so on this forum. The consequences? I ended flamed for about two-weeks. Ended up depressed, ended up taking lots of paracetamol, kept going there because I was loney, after this was banned. My point is, had that been a moderated place, This would have been prevented. Bullying can be extremely dangerous even on the Internet---people have ended their lives over it n un-moderated sub-forums can lead to member bullying "flaming" other members.

Also, as has already been illustrated, there's the issue of who is n who is not allowed access. If members have low self-esteem, mental-ill health, being rejected from somewhere they once participated in, can be detrimental to any progress in recovery to wellbeing.

I often see members complaining that "it isn't a democracy here" n "whatever happened to freedom of speech (FOS)?" Well, in my opinion, FOS is all well n goid but in a forum like this, it can possibly have detrimental consequences. For instance, if someone was asking about opiates combined with paracetamol in pill / capsule form, n a poster replied with "each pill contains 500mg of paracetamol n you can consume as many as you like as paracetamol is totally harmless," well this false n harmful information. It is obvious that if statements like this went un-moderated, it could lead to an overdose or even death so thus causing detrimental implications of members, their loved ones n Bluelight itself. Bad press for Bluelight could in worst case scenario, threaten closure---thus risking many lives as many either begin or continue consuming substances. I feel Bluelight staff do a remarkable job here in censoring out unnecessary or harmful information in order to keek both us n Bluelight safe. It isn't just us members who read Bluelight but the vast amount of Googlers / lurkers our there, of which some take posts on Bluelight literally. I spent a period of time, as have other Bluelighters, welcoming the new members to Bluelight in NMI---n I've lost count of the many Greenlighters who expressed that they lurkef for lengthy period of time before registering as a proper member here---n expressing their gratitude to Bluelight for the wealth of information, given to them, many of these people have even clamed that the information they sought on Bluelight as, previously, saved their lives or saved them from an OD (it's all there in NMI, in the many threads created).

The Lounge

As for the Lounge, many people say "laughter is medicine," n I think The Lounge Rats (that term always gives me a chuckle) use humour as their coping mechanisms. I've no doubt that they're all close n there for one another "different strokes for different folks," n all that. An old friend of mine had a similar sense of humour to that of Lounge Rats, she was a nice person, there for her friends n family in times of need. She had been sexually abused during her childhood, n humour was her coping mechanism---without I believe she'd have fallen apart. The Lounge is also moderated to stop people from going too far in things they say to other members. Members from The Lounge have given support, in PM, in the past. Names are irrelevant. The point I'm making is that they are good people, just that not everyone copes with stuff in the same way n not everyone relaxes in the same way. I don't think that anyone in the Lounge would intentionally hurt anyone on purpose, just mean it as banter. I, myself, has criticised The Lounge in the past but I feel that I was wrong n was being incredibly jidgemental n ignorant as I had not spent much time lurking there. If it wasn't a place with well intioned people, i don't the likes of NSA wouldn't post there, whom I have a lot of respect for. What I'm trying to get at is we mustn't judge a book by it's cover.

Why I disagree Re: The Shrine.

The Shrine is basically for us, Bluelighters. It's for us to remembers those lost, those no longer with us---and also somewhere for their loved ones IRL to see that they had a community in which loved them dearly n appreciated them. The issue of where The Shrine is situated, in my opinion, is unnecessary for the simple reason that wherever it's called, someone will not be happy n thus possibly complain---if it's at the bottom it's not easily seen n if it's at the top, it's in our faces, so to speak.

Removing The Shrine would be like removing the graveyards, gravestones n so forth; cruel n hurtful to those left behind---it's that special place we remember them n our love for them, the kind messages given to them during the event of discovering their terrible loss.

I'm not sure about The Shrine acting as a possible "HR warning to others, maybe in some ways n mostly I disagree. This is because, that would be implying that every Bluelighter's death was caused as a consequence of substance misuse / abuse n that's not necessarily true, as I mentioned earlier some deaths were accidental, suicidal, illness-related n so forth. I feel The Shrine is there to help our grieving n help us keep their memories alive.

I feel that in regards to the profile of a Bluelighter whom has deceased, it should be left as it is (if they staff go to Bluelight Crew, as I agree having them left as a position of staff could be confusing to new Bluelighters) as a mark of respect to those members n for our love towards them. I personally would heartbroken if I saw "deceased" written on any members I'd had association with (of course I'm speaking for myself here n only giving my opinion which may differ to others....). Not sure what is meant by a light as I'd not seen any lights by people's names n thus am confused in that instance.

OTW, I respect your passion for The Lounge n why you lashed out at The Shrine n EADD, but as I feel passionate towards EADD/BL felt that I needed to have my say. I'm also aware that my responses here are not just to your posts, but also to others too

In summary, i feel that every sub-forum in Bluelight contributes something n is valuable. Hidden or un-moderated sub-forums would be a disaster as they could lead to bullying n unnecessary exclusion. EADD is an incredibly supportive, pro-HR, pleasant n knowledgable sub-forum, full of wise, caring, compassionate n interesting people n to hide it would be the biggest mistake Bluelight would ever make. In fact I feel that the question to be asked would be "How do we get back the traffic in EADD n repair it from all these myths such as; it not a pro-HR sub-forum n there being more deaths in EADD than other sub-forums etc?"
Now that is important. EADD was once a thriving forum n in my opinion, wouldn't it best to consider ways in making it that way again? Getting in new blood etc?

Evey

Last edited:
I love y busty and phr did actually try to help. Wow.

Holy shit I can reply to this. Cool.

So

BUMP

Busty/OTW/maxload.

Here's to you.

You are remembered. The shrill voices whinging on about a bunch of mates clowning around using a now forbidden word upset some lurking whiners who complained and complained, oh look none of them lasted and a bad behavior habit could well have been knocked on the head with editing the fucking word and patience, understanding and fucking communication. This was not done in favour of skls new improved double non expiring infraction system which he introduced specifically to get rid of ONE person!!!!!!! I have proof!!!@@@@5

Interaction and coming to a peaceful resolution takes time and energy.

So given the lack of, this is why OTW went rogue Shambles. Its all gere have a look.

We lost him. Lost many many blrs since.

Given that some ppl who once made the executive decisions yet clearly were unable to actually come to the party and take on board posts of anyone except agreeable ones are now not on staff and those who filled in such as Ds who cant be bothered showing his face (hes not valued by Ali, see this thread for proof and screenshot whole thing in case it is thought policed out), can anybody at all now see exactly how much bloody damage the people trusted in being our representative over the years have let us down?

Do any of you have any idea at all that to survive this long even just on minimal interest left now how bloody important tl and bl is to people who are not the protected eadd species? And you thought the lounge was too insular? THE SMODS MADE IT THAT WAY GOD, EADD is now seemingly immune to bew chsnges because the regulars couldnt handle being lumped in with everyone else hey Tranced? Are you kidding me!@@@@@

This thread, the passion that was once the key to keeping it alive should be respected and preserved.

Sure fb and other things like changes in drug scene etc have affected here but i challenge anyone to read this plus many other threads that show how little piwers that be over the last st least 5 years gave a fuck about anything the community at large had to say and even worse have done despicable things to encourage people to leave instead of stay.

It will be a cold day in hell before anyone has the nads to admit what is in writing everyehere here but maybe someone with massive balls and an ability to come down to mere mortal plebe level will address bad things done and inact actual change.

Change as in change in PUBLIC discussed in public as why the hell would anyone believe staff give a fuck about us if you dont as you dont.

Plain and simple. Some clearly do but who are most of you anyway, wouldnt have a clue anymore.

Read this, please give a shit. Please get out of your safe little comfort zones, get in there, be the change. Lol.

Mods are overall not present enough now, look at stats of public forum post numbers mods vs members and i guarantee you it is that woeful change that needs to revert back to the exact opposite. The few who bothered talking to us across the board are dwindling and I appreciate the efforts of TLB, CFC, SPEED KING, shit even cduggles has come around and bloody props to her fucking good shit mate thank god!

Stop adding to and creating thos stupid gutless horrible bipolar threads, we know what is happening and if you got beef have a massive look at how useless bitching in private is to simply interacting in person. You know how reddit hurt feels? Imagine how we would feel if we saw what staff have been saying about us eh? Imagine the pain! Thats exactly how it feels except you guys think youre better people!

Stop banning cunts. Edit, educate, has the ability to discuss shit gone entirely?

This is bobl material.

Last edited:
It didn't take long did it?

What happened to her promise to stop behaving this way after her temp ban? No-one wants her gone or the Lounge to die, however it would be nice if there was entirely less drama on her part. She is threatening Doxing in order to get her way once again, after all, she has "proof."

Eventually she will keep pushing for reactions until she will have to be infracted; then she can play the "victim card" and use the discipline "to prove she was right."

Is anyone else tired of this game being played over and over? I bet the average BLer does NOT want to be bothered with all this drama and that it drives folks away a bit at a time. It sure affects me that way

Shes not threatening to doxx anyone, shes upset, and for good reason. Really all I have to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.