The Lounge now a hidden subforum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol wow admins admitting wrong doing. Something smells a little funny in here and it's prob a trap. So who accidentally made the mistake? I feel he should be put on a public pedestal to be laughed at, humiliated, and taunted with jeers till he crumbles back into the nothingness he is.

Spits on the floor.
I don't find that to be a productive attitude.

Someone made an error (or it appears a cascade of errors, in judgement, and technical skill), and we can either start a witchhunt, or we can come together and move forward in a positive direction.

I don't care who fucked up, or if they personally apologize or not. What I do care about, is that the community is put back together again and given the foundation to be strong and proud.

I rather grab a mop and broom, than spit on the floor. Effect the positive change you want to happen.

I don't want any changes though. And yes I was looking at foreigner when I spit on the ground. You actually believe them when they say it was an error lol. I wasn't born yesterday...

I don't find that to be a productive attitude.

Someone made an error (or it appears a cascade of errors, in judgement, and technical skill), and we can either start a witchhunt, or we can come together and move forward in a positive direction.

I don't care who fucked up, or if they personally apologize or not. What I do care about, is that the community is put back together again and given the foundation to be strong and proud.

I rather grab a mop and broom, than spit on the floor. Effect the positive change you want to happen.

I appreciate you're saying this. I realize not everyone will want to cooperate and that's fine. But I will say that like most other systems or organizations dealing with interpersonal problems, ours revolve around communication (the lackthereof). We're trying to make that better.

Yes, there were errors in judgment, execution and even technical proficiency. (This is exactly why Aby doesn't let me in the control panel, she knows I'd likely succeed in imploding the entire site). Also, remember that our senior staff is paid nothing for what they do. In fact, nobody here makes a dime, yet we are all willing to donate our precious time and energy into keeping us going. I realize many of you are upset, but please remember that all of us do what we do at Bluelight out of a shared passion for this community. Whenever people get really pissed off, I always remind myself that it's because they really give a shit, and that we have that in common.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you directly and getting the choo-choo back on the tracks as soon as possible.

SG

Thank you for gracing us with your clarifying words, i'm sure we'll all come to a mutual agreement soon.

I think that's the whole point. There'd be too much of an uproar if they deleted the Lounge outright(people trolling focus forums, etc.), so they simply cut off its oxygen so it suffocates and dies on its own.

If they really wanted to "preserve the tradition" of the subforum they would have kept it visible while still restricting access to non-approved members. That at least makes people aware of its existence and allows them to apply for access. As it stands now the only evidence the Lounge even existed is this thread.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I can still see the "Lounge" sub-forum listed on my front page screen under "Community". I just can't open it because I didn't try to apply for that group.

I actually cannot see the festivus forum listed anymore tho.

Who exactly are the "owners" of BL? Isn't it run based on donations from it's members? If that's the case, shouldn't the members be the owners and have an opinion when big changes are going to be made?

I've posted on another board for over 10 years now, it's become a very tight group of friends. We all donate to keep the server running. When the time came (this year) that we felt too many outsiders were joining, the site admin posted a poll asking if we should keep registration public, or just make the whole board private. In the end, the members voted, and now it's a private forum. I felt like they handled that very well.

I appreciate Sebastion's Ghost response, but it still leaves many holes as to why the decision was really made.

Oh well. Happy New Year, everyone.

RIP genericmind.

They will probably let us go home early on NYE. I'm thinking about asking for Friday off. 4 day weekend w00t

I had a homey over and we smoked out my hizzle. Was better than pills alone. Wish we had party hats tho, woulda made a timeless pic.

OT: Now I have an edit button and no approval shiznasty I'm not bovered. FYI.

Who exactly are the "owners" of BL?
bl's owners are thelovebandit and sebastians_ghost
Isn't it run based on donations from it's members?
part of bl's funding comers from a small number of member donations.
If that's the case, shouldn't the members be the owners and have an opinion when big changes are going to be made?
sure. when and how much did you last donate so know how many votes to give you? :)

happy holidays.

alasdair

Yea, I didn't donate a dime. I'll make a point to this year. So, if I do, would that give myself and the others that donate a say in how the site is run?

Honestly, I'm just playing devils advocate. Yall are gonna do what you're gonna do and I'm just gonna come here and troll anyway. Thanks for providing me a place to do so.

you get a say in how the site is run whether you donate or not. we have not considered a more formal arrangement where donators get a bigger say. how would you see that working in practice?
Honestly, I'm just playing devils advocate. Yall are gonna do what you're gonna do and I'm just gonna come here and troll anyway. Thanks for providing me a place to do so.
you're welcome.

alasdair

Hi everyone,

I just want to make this post to clarify some things.

First of all, the changes to The Lounge that were implemented were my doing. I implemented them hastily, partially due to misreading the situation, and partially because I decided that enough time had passed and that action had to be taken. The reality is that not enough time had passed, and not enough people were properly consulted. There was insufficient consensus. I take full responsibility for that, and apologize to the community for causing such an ill planned disruption. I was attempting to take on a leadership role with actions that were premature, and it has caused quite a mess. The settings that I tinkered with were for an advanced technician and it set some mishaps into motion which are now corrected. Oopsies! Yes, admins are humans too, and technology can be unforgiving sometimes. Nonetheless, there is definitely a general consensus that The Lounge needs some changes. What those changes look like, how they are to be carried out, and whose role will be what, are back on the drawing board.

I believe that the best way forward is to do thorough consultation, along with openness and transparency. The accusation that has been made - that the forum management is secretly trying to get rid of The Lounge - is not true. The only thing we want is to make Bluelight a better place and more inclusive of everyone. The Lounge has a long tradition and we don't want it gone, we want it to be more integrated with the rest of the community forum. Based on the backlash about hiding The Lounge, it seems like a lot of people still feel it needs to be visible, which means that there is a clear precedent here and desire to find a solution. Ironically, my premature action has set a lot of dialogue into motion, more than we've had in months, so it's my hope that we can take this conversation forward in a positive way.

I hope that eventually the detractors come to realize that we have the highest good of the forum in mind and we volunteer our time to make sure Bluelight continues to evolve in positive directions that are of service to all.

This thread is going to be closed now, mostly because the original announcement no longer applies, but also because we need to give staff time to regroup and come up with a plan.

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful 2015 and that it treats you kindly. May there be peace between you and yours, and me and mine. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.