• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health advice on depression

ihearthemoose

Bluelighter
Hey guys just need some advice. I've been dealing with some really nasty depression for about a month and I will need to take medicaton at this point. I have some anxiety but am prescribed valium
In the past I have been on cymbalta, lithium, and risperdal. I believe the Risperdal worked well. Just wanted to know if any of y ou guys have taken a med that seemed to stabilize you fairly quickly. I can't get into counseling until 12/1 because nys is a joke and I hve no health insurance until then . Thanks guys. Oh aND I'm a recovering alcohlic who's sober. And this time last year I had to go to rehab
lol

I can only speak for myself when I say this, I know Wellbutrin worked wonders for me and have seen it work for plenty of people. I've been where you're at, and at times it feels like you'll never come up from this lull in your life, but I'll tell you, it can only get better from here.

Maybe practice some meditation, turn off the TV, turn off the cell phone, the lights and close the blinds, close your eyes and really focus on you're breathing. Mainly breathing from your nose. Allow thoughts to enter, dont block them out, allow them to enter, process it in the middle, and let it go out the other side.

Journaling can also help, I know when I got out of my "stinking thinking" or my "itty bitty shitty committee" and begin to get whats going on inside my head out, I feel a weight lifted from my shoulders.

Also in the mean time, you say counseling isn't an option, but have you considered NA/AA/HA/CA/CMA? Forming a support group is important and you can definitely get that with going to meetings. The love that you feel in the meetings, especially at my old home group, just made me feel better being there. Knowing that almost everyone in that room has been where I was at. I've walked into those meetings depressed, coming off a recent binge and found tremendous relief. It really works if you work it.

Keep your head high and don't give up.

Thank you! I do have an aa place, sometimes I don't go because I disagree with some of their ideas. Thanks alot for responding

I don't hate them, I just don't agree twith some of their ideas .. especially that smoking pot will Make you drink. Also I don't think that me obsessing over being sober (which is what aa is about , constantly remembering what it was like to be an alcoholic ) is gping to keep me sober. Sometimes gping to a meeting can actually trigger me to drink. I do however like the social aspect of it because I'm in a room wi th people like myself.

If you want to feel more depressed go to AA or so I found any how. I hated that I needed to remind myself every day that something was wrong with me and that I had a problem. Now imagine doing that for the rest of your life. It's enough to make you feel depressed most days. However I must say I traded in AA for the booze again and now I find myself depressed even after taking my SSRI's. I've hit some bad lows this year which have made me suffocate in problems and not seeing a way out has made me try and drink my way out which obviously is not working but is contributing to me being depressed. Everyone's pissed off at me that I've paused my life and just keep on piling pressure on me with their expectations of what I can and should be achieving. It ultimately sucks and seeing a psych weekly and wanting to commit suicide almost daily is not really assisting.

The one thing that does always save me is reminding myself that everything is a process and this is just part of that process to get stronger, to be better etc.

I guess the only thing keeping me somewhat together is my son. And my parents. I really have no use in life, but if I were dead and my brother couldn't take of my parents by himself , I think that would be worse than me being dead. Even though as I write this I'm inhaling nitrous

So let me get this straight- you're depressed, and were on mood stabilizers, benzos, and antipsychotics???? Do you see what's wrong with this picture? Unless you have some sort of diagnosis warranting the prescription of one of these classes of drugs, you have absolutely no business being on them..... no wonder they aren't helping your depression- they were never made with that intent in mind.

There are quite a few different classes of antidepressants that you have yet to try.... Tricyclics, SSRIs, SNRIs etc.....

And the benzos are depressants... they will make you depressed in themselves.... I never felt happy on valium..... felt very depressed.

I was on the e drugs but had to go off of them because I lost my health insurance. They were prescribs by my psych. It's 100 a pop for a visit, hopefully I'll have sone $ leftover to get in there