• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health How can i get over my complex about seeing the doctor about anti depressants?

Berdo tm1

Bluelighter
I have such a complex about this. So many times ive picked up the phone and put it down. I do have alot of social hangups which Ive decided are mainly from my depression so this fear of doctors is just one of many of my reluctance to seek help from or mainly to interact with others.

I work from home alone and so my life for a few years now has whittled down socially such that the only other human contact is when i speak to my parents on the phone or get mocked belligerently by drunk people at clubs. I deliberately did this as I came more depressed I ruthlessly cut people off and deny opportunities which may have arised so I know its totally deliberate but also in hindsight probably cos i was depressed. I do go to clubs but then usually i am just a wallflower just standing like a loser alone in the corner watching everyone else enjoying life. I feel like this is my whole life now just watching all the opportunies of life pass me by as i stay trapped behind this thick glass wall, so close yet so far.

I have pretty stereotyped behaviour and anything that deviates from my usual routine i start getting really anxious thinking about all types of catasrophies. I imagine the doctor would be able to give me some good stuff to help me get over this but my mind has blocked it time and again.

I even made appointments with the doctor maybe 5 or more times for the same day only to cancel them before I go.

I am starting to feel more and more trapped by these mental issues.

I tried therapy and meditaiton self help books all that shit and i just hate them all- i read that these things dont work for 'seriously depressed' people so i suppose i may fit in that category but i mostly dont believe in those things they just seem like wishful thinking that if you believe in the authority figure then they work, and i dont believe in them.

i tried them properly as well not just cursory glances. Drugs are the only things that have consistently shifted my perspective but im getting too afraid to try illegal/grey market drugs now as they are too strong, but paralysed to go and see the doctor who could probably help me with more safe things that would actually work to get me over my complexes.

Not sure how to battle my way out of this malady since I feel like I am thwarting myself at every turn?

Last edited:
Your not alone, honestly.
And hat's off for posting your true feelings.
Depression can come about for many different reasons; expectations from friends and family, a harsh upbringing, a loss in the family, a bad break-up.
The key is to catch it early as the brain can manifest itself into this one directional, inward state.
Many people turn to substance misuse as a way of coping, if your feeling down though it can easily magnify the condition.
Doctors will prescribe anti-depressants. These work amazingly well, but should be used in conjunction with a therapist to talk through your problems once you feel better. Timing is critical, SSRI's can take from 1 week to a month to have an effect. This gives a window to talk to a good therapist who you trust and feel comfortable around.
There are other more natural options other than SSRI's that you could consider and are over the counter.
5-HTP, a natural amino acid that is the pre-cursor to Serotonin and Melatonin. Never use this if taking an SSRI
(Serotonin reuptake inhibitor)
Or St John's Wort, never use if taking an MAOI ( Monoamine oxidase inhibitor)
Doctors will understand the issue though and should talk you through ways and means to overcome depressive feelings.
All the very best.

You can take 5-htp if one an ssri. I hate that common misconception that you can't. Htp doesn't raise your serotonin more than what you need, the body converts as much as it needs to serotonin, and the rest is passed through your system unchanged.

I'll can say man is do it, go for it. I see a doctor and group for my depression and drug addiction and I can say my life's never been better.

I tried 5-htp and the effects are negligible a little less pessimistic but the side effects are very apparent, it always feels like there is a load of cotton wool wadded in my sinuses once ive been tkaing it for a few days and it trashes my sleep. I am just stuck in that 'almost nodding off' feeling and just cant drop off. Real pain in the ass.

You need to see a doctor first thing, there is no way around that step. So muster all your might and just do it or you'll linger forever in a worsening depressive state. Make seeing a physician your sole priority, trust me it will get better from there on after.

I actually went for a good run last night and its amazing what good it can do :) even my mum commented on me sounding upbeat for once. ofc in the pits of depression we often forget this but ive done it enough to know how good excercise is, thats why ive been getting back in the habit of excercise wheenever i feel a cloud forming. its just not been part of my regular routine for a while which i am working on changing.

A good balanced diet & regular exercise can work wonders. I think drugs should be a last resort, or maybe only used for particular types of depression. Not all doctors are just going to prescribe some heavy drugs for depression, there are non-drug therapies that can be effective without any side effects.

Good for you! Exercise or even getting out of the apparment, flat, house.
To quote the simpsons "do what what you feel like doing, not what you think your supposed to do"
Your a indevidual in your own right.

I'm wondering if TDS or MH might be a better fit for this because your question isn't drug specific but more related to anxiety. I'll leave it for now because you're getting responses but let me know and I'll move it. You'll get more support there.

Is there a friend you can talk to that about this issue? It may relieve some anxiety. Maybe they'll even be able to go with you to the appointment for moral support. If that's not an option, schedule a routine check up. Once you're there and feeling comfortable with the doctor, you can start the conversation. They can also help refer you to someone who can continue your treatment.

I've been through it personally. It's really not a big deal and you're probably magnifying it in your head. Trust me, they won't freak out or make it a big deal... they've seen it all. And you're not stuck doing any one treatment, if they prescribe something give it enough time to work but know you can always try something else.

Ideally, you need to combine treatment with therapy for real, sustained results. Just like medication, the first psychologist you see may not be the right one and that's okay. Don't feel "stuck," you have options all that matters is you need to keep trying to achieve progress.

You don't have to live like this anymore. But nothing changes if nothing changes. It all starts with that first step, make that appointment with your doctor and go from there.

fuck anti depressants. they all dont fucking work and they make you fat, have diabetes, decrease libido, give you man boobs, the list goes on and on and on.

you know the reason why so many antidepressants on the market affect serotonin levels in some way? because it is one of the easiest endogenous chemicals in the body to measure. just because you have higher serotonin levels does not mean shittttt... the human body is not like a simple math equation, just by addiing drugs into your body does not mean you will be happy or lessed depressed. fuck drugs usually do the opposite to me, even the good ones like opiates! . there are soooo many more things going in your body...

also, sayng you need anti-depressants declares that there exists a non-consequential, stagnant self (aka ego) that exists apart from your body, mind, and your environment. tell me, how could you have depression if there wasnt something to be depressed about, and at the same time how could you have something to be depressed about if you didnt have the concept of depression. meaning that the duality of the mind causes depression, and that depression and happiness are on the same side of the same coin. you cannot have depression without having happiness, for how would you know that you were depressed if you didnt have something to compare it to? for example, think about sleeping on a bed, the side you are on is really fucking hard and uncomfortable, so you turn to the other side and all seems good. however, after a while that side of the bed doesnt seem so comfortable anymore, so you turn back to the other side.

if you are stuck in the cycle of your mind, it is much like sleeping on that shitty bed. but life is not like that. there is nothing to be gained out of life, because if there was then that would mean money would really cause happiness. but obviously rich people can also be depressed aswell. the human condition is so focused on the idea that the future holds some type of better reality and that things will get better. but how can things get better if there there arent shitty situations? if you say things keep getting better and better, than you have to say that the time before that was not up to par, which wouldnt make sense because at the time life seemed good.

wow....lol...saying ssri's dont work is just irresponsible imho. i used to buy into that bullsh1t too. after over 30 years of depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts. i said fuk it and went on a drug quest. ive been on several, depakote, lithium, etc. my new doc said were scrapping all of it and starting you on paxil and abilify. holy sh1t!!!!!!!!!! it worked. still have some depression, but its not debilitating, some situational anxiety, about 40% of what it was, and ive only had suicidal thoughts recently but thats due to losing my arm, it will pass. im not saying these drugs work for all, or that the op should run out and find a doc that will prescribe them. but, given the right doc. he/she will try many of the other non drug therapeutic ways to reduce depression and the like. if that doesnt work, then try pharmaceuticals and dont give up if they dont work at 1st or may be that particular drug may not work for you. it took me nearly 10 years to find the right combo.

thats the long way of saying dont close the door on ANY type of therapy, if u do u may never find a solution.

and counseling is some great therapy as well.

best of luck....

ps: im not fat, nor do i have bitch tits....lmao

fuck anti depressants. they all dont fucking work and they make you fat, have diabetes, decrease libido, give you man boobs, the list goes on and on and on.
Pretty ignant. I'm starting an antidepressant that I have high hopes for. It actually has some opposite side effects of what you listed, weight loss ands increased libido. It's also for my ADHD, and indirectly drug addiction; my doctor thinks if I'm properly medicated I won't have as bad cravings. The drug in talking about is bupropion; my point is not all antidepressants are the same nor are all people. If these drugs weren't successful in some people (with proper therapy and consoling of course) they wouldn't be on the market.

I still stand my ground on saying antidepressants AS A WHOLE don't work and the drug trials and studies are skewed. They are a way for pharm companies to make billions of dollars.

The more AD drugs are advertised the more people seem to have depression.

Ye i hate that atitude. 'fuck anti depressants' i only read that first line and didnt read further.

Ive heard alot of that from the puritanical self help community and they think that just cos they dont need something that its bullshit and worthless or you are a 'wimp' for needing it.

I agree that they are definitely overprescribed and it is depressing to read on some forums how some people are just totally falling into learned helplessness where they are just doing nothing to improve their lives and waiting for that final drug to cure everything. in an ideal world they shouldnt be needed but doesnt mean such things cant be useful sometimes with the correct mindset and they certianly do have an effect.

Anyhow i think both the total pro drug camp as soon as you sneeze is also no good either but also the pigheaded ignoramouses that say they do nothing at all.
---
Anyway Im going to give tianeptine a try as it seems to be the best of a bad bunch, potentially low side effect profile with alot of positives; plus its an upshot i dont have to see the doc for it :D.

I found that excercise while surely helpful isnt the be all and end all. it improves my mood but it doesnt give me any social push which is the main reason for my depression, caught ina negative spiral of negative feedback. Now the illegals i recall to surely have given me the superhuman social motivation but they were too heavy on the mind and body (at least in the recreational doses i used to take them and havent dared to try them again since), so i figure anti dperessants might be a good middle ground.

Last edited:
Tell me , do you think it is possible to achieve something out of life? And what measurement would you use to determine that you successfully got something out of life?

I'm not sure your point lac, ik it's directed at the bearded one, but I'll answer too since I have medicated depression.

Yes, it's possible to achieve things I have achievements everyday. I measure my success by my pleasant memories, physical accomplishments (programs, songs, and other art I make), and the how much I am loved and make others proud.

OD --> MH

Hey guys, can we stay focused on helping the OP? Not everyone believes in antidepressants but ultimately if someone is unable to participate in life due to mental illness they need to seek professional help. Whether that involves medication or not is really up to the OP and their physician. If you don't believe in antidepressants by all means suggest other means of treatment or offer support. I just don't want this to devolve into an argument on antidepressants that would derail the thread and detract from the OP's situation.

Last edited:
anti-depressants are a stop-gap. It's different here in the UK where the NHS will only perscribe off-patent, generic SSRI's, TCA's, or ever MAOI's.
From my own notion; P-Doc's in America will script you the most profitable; have a holiday in the sun, freebies; if you have insurance.
Now I have used prozac, citalopram ( the baby of lexepro)
Off label, Parnate (the generic term)
TCA's have been offered.
But it's your mindset and situation is what counts.
If you think you cannot kick depression; to the point you can't go out; or even the lonely person in the club; you have to consider CBT and/or Psychotherapy.
You can't do it own your own. I know people are hacked off.
I won't condone off-patent quick remidies.
There is a window though, where you can talk through your problems.