• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health What to do?

TheGuest2014

Greenlighter
I suffer from pretty severe OCD and anxiety and mild to severe depression, I've never been to a Doctor about it. Recently, stress has increased dramatically and all of my issues are starting to take a substantial turn for the worst.

I plan to see a Doctor about it all, however I also want to be prescribed an ADHD medication of some sort, not because I'm a junkie, but because I firmly believe I also suffer from ADHD (I don't have all the symptoms but I can't ever concentrate on anything without being distracted, suffering as silly as quiet noise would completely distract me and not allow me to concentrate on anything until the noise has disappeared).

I'm not going to lie, I would only be seeing a Doctor for one reason; to get prescribed something strong. I don't want to tell the doctor about my depression, OCD and anxiety issues as he may be reluctant to prescribe me ADHD drugs such as Ritalin. However, I really want my other issues to be under control, at the moment, they're not. I seem to have sudden mood swings, one moment I'll be talking to someone, the next moment I'll want to smash his teeth down his throat (it takes very little to provoke me). If someone I know looks at me the wrong way, I start scheming a plot of how to mess their life up. I can't control myself anymore. Sometimes I just want to die, other times I'm happy (almost high) for no reason. My OCD will always get the best of me, I have to do everything in a set order, I have to do everything a set number of times (always an even number, usually 10 times).

I don't know what to tell the Doctor, do I just try and get an ADHD medication prescribed to me and not tell him about my other problems, or do I be honest and see what crap he prescribes me? As I say, I seriously can't work at the moment, I do work but I get no work done, as I can't sit down and concentrate for more than 5 mins without being distracted for good.

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I didn't know where else to post this. I hope this post doesn't come across as rambling nonsense, I'm very overwhelmed at the moment and I don't know what to do, I can't think clearly.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

There's a whole load more to ADHD than not being able to concentrate.

You say you are not drug seeking but then go on to admit that the only reason you are visiting the doctor is to be prescribed something, that's a contradiction in terms right there.

If you really care about seeing an improvement in your life quality you need to be open an honest about all the facts. A doctor can't make a properly informed decision without having all the facts there. Be honest, let him worry about diagnosis and treatment. Really, meds should be the last line of defence in most cases (except very extreme situations).

There's a whole load more to ADHD than not being able to concentrate.
100% Agreed.

You say you are not drug seeking but then go on to admit that the only reason you are visiting the doctor is to be prescribed something, that's a contradiction in terms right there.
100% Agreed.

If you really care about seeing an improvement in your life quality you need to be open an honest about all the facts. A doctor can't make a properly informed decision without having all the facts there.
100% Agreed.

Be honest, let him worry about diagnosis and treatment. Really, meds should be the last line of defence in most cases (except very extreme situations).
100% Agreed.

I really can't add any more to what has already been said. Doctor shopping with the sole intent on being prescribed a specific drug that is based on self diagnoses is a horrible idea. I would normally say 'I don't mean to offend you, but...' However, in your case, I honestly couldn't care less if you're offended by what I'm about to say. But it's people like you that are putting doctors under horrible strains, both medically and morally, which leads them to cut down on prescribing medications to people who genuinely, genuinely need them. It's why medications such as Tramadol are now being scheduled, and there's definitely more of that to come. That's so fucking unfair on patients with chronic conditions that genuinely rely on them to get by in life.

This practice is most prominent in patients fabricating their own medical conditions to seek opiates and stimulants in particular. This is so wrong. As a young chronic neuropathic pain patient I had to fight tooth and nail to eventually be prescribed sufficient analgesia in order to live a normal life again, all because of people like you. So you have two options:

1) Go to the doctor, be open and honest with them by explaining all of your symptoms and concerns and then let them make a diagnosis on the information that you've disclosed. Then you'll have the opportunity to discuss how they think you can best manage it, through medication or otherwise.

2) Go buy your own stimulants based on your own self diagnosis to self medicate - and see how far that gets you, one year down the line.

Shit like this really pisses me off man, and it's exactly why the prescriptions of opiates and stimulants are being heavily monitored, or cut out completely, with doctors having their licenses revoked.