• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Most effective antidepressants

obsoletebg

Greenlighter
Based on my own experiences and ratings reviews from the net:

What would you rate as the most powerful antidepressant in terms of remission ?

mine is:

1. Parnate
2. Effexor +Remeron(C. rocket fuel) *Combinations*
3. Desipramine
4 .Olanzapine + fluoxetine *Combinations*
5. Nefazodone
6. Nardil
7. Selegiline
9. Imipramine
8. Fluoxetine + Wellbutrin *Combinations*
9. Wellbutrin
10.Mirzaprine(by itself)

I decided to remove stimulants from the list due to their profile. Adderall or Dexedrine, obviously will probably have a much better antidepressant effect than most antidepressants due to their ability to raise dopamine at much higher levels than regular antidepressants. Otherwise Amphetamine salt + antidepressant combinations would top the list such as someone who uses effexor or zoloft plus a Schedule II stimulant such as Adderall, Dexedrine, Ritalin, Vynase, or Desoxyn. It is well known amphetamine have some of the strongest antidepressant effects known to man(minus cocaine which isn't therapeutic due to its duration).

Last edited:
1. Tramadol
2. Wellbutrin
3. Modafinil

Pretty much any drug that affects norepninphrine. I love my SNRI and my NDRI's.

It varies between every person, what works well for one individual won't do anything but bad shit for another.

Escitalopram, so far. I've been on many over the years, and I find myself changing once a year now. The effects tend to dimish after a year's daily use.

Tramadol hands down. Most people don't want to think of it as an antidepressant because it also acts on your opioid receptors but it is and it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of doctors start prescribing it for depression more so than they do now. Instead of waiting 4 to 6 weeks for it to start working like most antidepressants, Tramadol works in a half hour. Also, SNRI's are always described by people as more effective than SSRI's.

I have to disagree. I have experienced clinical depression for 16 years and I find that sleep, exercise, and eating healthily/staying fit does make an incredible difference in the severity of my symptoms and recurrence. I use drugs too, but not hard drugs anymore and I find weed, kratom, and psychedelic cacti to be the best plants for me.

Pill wise....tramadol has strong anti-depressive effects for me and I don't really feel the withdrawal is that bad compared to 'real' opiates.
Pregabalin too is the bees knees, but more addictive to me in a very strange way. I am a recovering alcoholic too and I rarely drank while on preg or benzos, but the withdrawal is so severe as to completely rule out benzos at least.

I take citalopram (celexa) and mirtazapine (remeron) plus abilify which helps a bit. It's only been a couple months but I hate the idea of "needing" to take these pills every day. The remeron I have to take right before I go to bed otherwise I want to eat everything in sight. Bad side effect.

Other Drugs --> Mental Health

I have to disagree. I have experienced clinical depression for 16 years and I find that sleep, exercise, and eating healthily/staying fit does make an incredible difference in the severity of my symptoms and recurrence. I use drugs too, but not hard drugs anymore and I find weed, kratom, and psychedelic cacti to be the best plants for me.

Pill wise....tramadol has strong anti-depressive effects for me and I don't really feel the withdrawal is that bad compared to 'real' opiates.
Pregabalin too is the bees knees, but more addictive to me in a very strange way. I am a recovering alcoholic too and I rarely drank while on preg or benzos, but the withdrawal is so severe as to completely rule out benzos at least.

I agree. My mental health is very dependent on sleep, and exercise can help lift your mood or at least keep things in check if you are feeling bad.

As for meds, the only AD that I felt worked for me was wellbutrin, but it caused me to experience some manic symptoms. Lexapro worked alright but it eventually made me depressed and suicidal which I realized after I had become a 'shut-in' on it. Effexor made me feel pretty bad on it so I stopped that right away so didn't take it long enough to really know, and Zoloft made my panic attacks worse so I stopped that after a few months.

Last edited:
fro what i've tried, and for my case (anxiety more than depression)

Zoloft (good for anxiety, but bye bye MDxx and analogues :\ ), then escitalopram, then mirtazepine (pretty much uselless IME)

I don't have experience with other antidepressants, but I've been on citalopram for five years, and it has worked well for my depression.

Yeah, that doesnt do jack for people with actual mental illness.

I guess I don't have an actual mental illness, and the doctors who diagnosed me with chronic depression and anxiety disorder were full of shit.

Tramadol hands down. Most people don't want to think of it as an antidepressant because it also acts on your opioid receptors but it is and it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of doctors start prescribing it for depression more so than they do now. Instead of waiting 4 to 6 weeks for it to start working like most antidepressants, Tramadol works in a half hour. Also, SNRI's are always described by people as more effective than SSRI's.

Tramadol isn't really an antidepressant. And its antidepressant effects are contributed towards its opioid receptor activity and its mild serotonin activity. And to some it has a brutal WD. Anything that has opioid receptor activity will work in probably half and hour.

1. Tramadol
2. Wellbutrin
3. Modafinil

Pretty much any drug that affects norepninphrine. I love my SNRI and my NDRI's.

I always thought norepninphrine was dopamine's nasty sister. All the side effects of dopamine with none of the positive effects that dopamine has.

ive been on so much shit over the years and finally found what combo works for me. thats 40mg of paxil and 10mg of abilify each day. i havent been suicidal much at all since ive been on this combo or even deeply depressed much either.

i am on mirtazapine/effexor, best results i ever had

wellbutrin was useless for me, as was proczac.

prozac never did shit for me, zoloft was the only thing that really helped my depression, but did nothing for anxiety. Only downside to zoloft for me, was the excesive sweating and decreased labido. Also what I noticed with zoloft, was that I hardly ever felt super happy, but i never felt super depressed, just sort of permanent meloncholy. tramadol worked good for me also, but with my previous opiate addiction the doses were way too high, and i could never get it perscribed anyways cuz i dont hav chronic pain issues. it really depends on the individual. if you have any parents or family members with depression that take medication, ask them what works for them. chances are whatever they recommend will help a lot more than what other people here recommend. ssri's in particular are very hit or miss, and depend on the person.

Yeah, that doesnt do jack for people with actual mental illness.

Actually diet and exercise have been shown to help people with mental illness quite abit. I feel much less moody when working out then when i am not.

well i have bipolar disorder so i don't get along with many actual anti-depressants. Wellbutrin and amitriptyline are probably the 2 that helped the depression side of things the most. Wellbutrin definitely helps brighten my mood and especially helps with the SAD i get which only makes my bipolar depression worse. It's mood lifting slightly stimulating effect kicks in within a week or so with me Trimipramine is another tricyclic that has worked for me and helps my sleep quite abit. I would be interested in trying Selegiline in the form of the Emsam patch or even the old non selective irreversible MAOI Parnate. I have heard from various people i know and from reading online that MAOI's like Parnate and Nardil often work when nothing else does and you get a kinda instant mood lift before the full anti-depressant effects kick in.

As for drugs not labelled as anti-depressants that help depression ketamine has probably been the most helpful for me. It's anti-depressant effect kicks in instantly and lasts for a long time after the ket has worn off. The antimuscarinic Scopolamine which is commonly used for motion sickness also seems to help my bipolar depression. I noticed this even before i read the studies on Scopolamine being used to treat bipolar depression so it's certainly not a placebo effect. I wonder is the antimuscarinic side effects of certain tricyclic anti-depressants the reason why those class of anti-depressants seem to work for me while the much more selective and newer SNRI's (the TCA amitriptyline is a SNRI and Trimipramine is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor as well as being a mild atypical anti-psychotic) don't work for me at all and drive me completely manic. I have also found that some atypical anti-psychotics especially Quetiapine and Olanzapine act as anti-depressants for me as well.

If I remember ....

Been on:

Paxil (no effect except w/d)
Effexor XR (made me sick, discontinued)
*11 year break*
Prozac (worked initially, too stimulating)
Trazodone (to compliment Prozac, good for sleep)

Suddenly diagnosed bipolar after 12 years by questionable doctor:

Depakote (headaches, discontinued)
Lamotrigine and Risperidone (75% effective)
Nortryptaline (?) Worked briefly but quit abruptly (too busy abusing mdma.that summer...)
And finally Quitiapine (horrible reaction)

Rockin the lamoragrine and.risperidone.these days. New doc Just upped the former, but it's effects seem to be fading after years of keeping me tenuously stable.

Obviously illicits interact with all in various ways but I'm finally clear of all but 2-3 pints a nite and.lately some etizolam (to replace the new trazadone script I magically lost).

After 16 years of this condition though I'm.doubting there's.any sure solution. Just.gotta find what works for a while and ride.it.as long as possible.