European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

EADD Film Recommendations v5 - TBC

tribal girl

Bluelight Crew
Need more recommendations? Look no further: (old versions)

Recommend another good movie per post)
Recommend some more good movies per post
Recommend YET MORE movies per post
Recommend MANY MORE Movies vrs. 3 or something
EADD Movie Recommendations Thread v.4...not for TV series and stuff Dan... <-- continued from here

I really didn't get on with Death Proof

T'was a load of shite IMO. Just seemed as though Tarantino was massaging his own ego. Planet Terror > Death Proof. And fuck knows why he's associating with Eli Roth these days, he's a total talentless twat.

I've recently become extremely obsessed with a film called Times Squarehttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081635/?ref_=nv_sr_1 (1980). Downloaded it and loved it. The DVD was released on R2 last week, so bought that, plus I just ordered the R1 version for the commentary with Robin Johnson as that's not included on the R2 edition. You can watch it in full on Pootube if the fancy takes. FWIW the soundtrack's pretty killer too, featuring the likes of Talking Heads, Lou Reed, The Cure, Roxy Music, The Ramones etc. :D
times-square-3.jpg

Trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
Blimey. It's only Tribal come all the way over to EADD to confirm the factual nature of Death Proof's shiteness and treat us to an obscure 80s film with Tim Curry and what looks like a bit of a belting soundtrack.

*waves at tg*

<3

Best film I've seen recently is the Raid 2. Blew my mind. The fight scenes are the most impressive I've ever seen in a martial arts action movie.

Think ive scrolled past that on netflix, might watch it later

It's not on the UK one, but I'm right in thinking you've got access to the US one right? First one was pretty damn good I thought.

If you like your regular martial arts movies GodSpeed, I'd highly recommend Ip Man & Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grand Master. Well worth a watch. :)

Just watched Death Proof. thought it was wicked. deffo not one of Tarantinos best, but very good. loved the soundtrack as well

T'was a load of shite IMO. Just seemed as though Tarantino was massaging his own ego. Planet Terror > Death Proof. And fuck knows why he's associating with Eli Roth these days, he's a total talentless twat.

I hate to have to disagree with you tribal but Planet Terror just didn't do it for me the other night. :\

I'm not such a fan of that OTT zombie genre to be fair. Each person to their own though right.

Watched another of Vurtual's sci-fi picks from somewhere up there - Antiviral. Seems he's a bit of a chip off the auld block - is very Cronenbergy. Got everything you'd expect from Daddy Cronenberg (infections and corruptions and addictions and obsessions and... well... bodyhorror as they say) but it doesn't feel like a shoddy rip-off Cronenberg-Lite... although the celebrity culture thing is a bit of an easy target perhaps. Is nicely done though and pretty promising for a first film - reminded me a lot of Cronenberg Snr's early films (Shivers gets a bit of a namecheck early on and it's very much along similar lines). Gonna be hard to step out of Daddy Cronenberg's shadow but even if he never quite makes it that far still looks as though he could turn out some decent films in the family house style. Doubt it'd be to all tastes (don't doubt it at all actually - it won't be) but folks who like Cronenbergian stuff will probably enjoy it for what it is.

And another one from Vurtual's picks up there somewhere - Branded.

Heavy handed, clunky and kinda confused but not terrible. Bit like an updated version of They Live and about as subtle. Not quite as entertaining though which is a bit of a problem. For a film so squarely focussed on the whole concept of marketing the folk who made it could really do with knowing a bit more about advertising cos they go off in all kindsa directions at once and show very little understanding of how marketing actually works... at least they do in the dialogue but get it closer with the actual plot... which is probably why it's all a bit confused. Some nice ideas (the stuff about Lenin inventing marketing was nice, equating marketing with communism is a bit silly - when corporatism meetsand merges with politics (as has long been the case) isn't that facism not communism?)). They could also do with learning the old adage of showing rather than telling if you want to achieve any level of sophistication in storytelling. Although not sure they were aiming for that or not - think they were mainly aiming for a type of modern day fairy tale or fable but as it's also satire you kinda need a bit more depth to not just come over as film students thinking they're a lot cleverer than they really are. Good in places but doesn't really hang together for me.

I'm girly jizzing at the number of times Cronenbergs' ('?) name's coming up in this thread.

Observation: Both Vurtual and Spudgun seem to have shit hot taste when it comes to movies.

I'm girly jizzing at the number of times Cronenbergs' ('?) name's coming up in this thread.

Observation: Both Vurtual and Spudgun seem to have shit hot taste when it comes to movies.

Thanks, but butting out is probably the best bet for me most of the time.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen Boyhood yet, by the way? I've held off because my mate said it was crap, but there's a few Linklater films I've loved (a scanner Darkly <3, even besides being a phillip k dick freak. never seen sunrise/sunset though).

I originally thought it was by Terrence Mallick for some reason , and I'd had quite enough of his go-nowhere whimsy over the last 2 films of his I saw, but I was off the mark. The trailer seemed a bit laden with middle class 'issues' and Patricia Arquette creeps me the fuck out. There's fuck all else on at the moment so willing to be corrected.

Was thinking you meant The Man Who Fell to Earth and was about to chastise you for saying it was boring, Rick. Having worked out which film you really meant (ie the one you named not the one I misread) I know what you mean. It's not really a film - more like a story told round a campfire or perhaps a stage play. It's certainly not very cinematic but the story is good enough to make it well worth a watch, I'd say. Just don't go in expecting anything to happen cos nothing really does - more like an extended dinner party anecdote maybe.

eh? why for so?

Not really understanding what youre saying there.

Just saying I could bang on and on about certain kinds of film, when it wouldn't really fit with the types of film being discussed and would bore the shit out of everyone.When topics arise I feel can comment on, I join in (just like any other thread). TBH it was just a bit of nonsense I'm apt to spout.