• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Aldous Huxley and "Carbogen"?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
I'm sure many posters here have read Huxley's Doors of Perception.

It's been a few years, but I remember he wrote about a true account of him inhaling a gas that he called "carbogen" which I guess was essentially just Carbon Dioxide.

Honestly, I'm quite confused as to what it actually was supposed to be and why it would be referred to as anything other than carbon dioxide or why anything remotely similar to carbon dioxide would be a hallucinogen.

Regardless, this is supposedly a TRUE account of Huxley inhaling some kind of carbon dioxide mixture and getting psychedelic effects from it.

I remember he'd written something along the lines of saying that it produced a very intense psychedelic experience (I'm not sure of what kind, if he meant visuals, auditory, mental etc)....but that it also produced the sensation of drowning essentially and grasping for air, because since Carbon Dioxide is meant to be exhaled and not inhaled it tricks the body into thinking it's not getting enough oxygen.....strange....

So yeah, the basic idea was that Huxley REALLY DID supposedly inhale and trip off of some kind of carbon dioxide mixture which I guess had some interesting effects, but also had the bad side effect of a sensation of being deprived of oxygen.

Does anyone know anything about what this stuff was?

Has anyone ever tried it?

Is it just pure carbon dioxide or what?

IF it's REALLY a true account I assume someone else has done it, but anyone else who's read the Doors of Perception will know what I'm talking about.

When I was in jail the guys I was bunked with made alcohol in a trash bag by fermenting pineapple tidbits and jolly ranchers in a trash bag, each day the bag would expand like a balloon and they would untie it and breath it in to get some kind of buzz...none of them knew what it was or why it happened, I explained to them the fermentation was producing co2 and all they were feeling was the affect of oxygen deprivation, don't think they really understood me...I never tried the gas myself although I did drink the mash(which gave a nice alcohol buzz). But they seemed to enjoy the act(although while in jail you'll do anything to break the endless boredom)

unrelated Quite Interesting fact about Aldous Huxley - he died on the same day as C.S. Lewis and JFK

The ogen part refers to oxygen, which the co2 is mixed with.

So it's a unique oxygen/co2 mixture?

Why would this be psychedelic in nature?

How are the two mixed and why do I never hear of anyone else doing this?

Is it like coolwhip said, that it's just oxygen deprivation?

I don't understand why oxygen deprivation would be hallucinogenic, I mean I guess it's just like that game kids play where they hyperventilate to pass out??

The thing is, Huxley had described is as being more authentically hallucinogenic in nature than just a "buzz from oxygen deprivation".

I dont remember exactly what he wrote as I don't have the book on hand, but he went to extra lengths to combine Oxygen and Co2 in such a form so as to experiment with it and if it was just oxygen deprivation that seems like a strange thing to do.

I mean, hell, lack of blood to the brain also produces somewhat "psychedelic" experiences, as I've experienced when waking up from being choked unconscious in submission grappling sessions, but I don't know that I'd go out of my way to experience it, especially considering all the dead brain cells that go along with it...

Carbogen is supposed to be a 50/50 mixture of carbon dioxide and oxygen... so it's not from oxygen deprivation. Carbon dioxide actually acts like a psychedelic at high blood concentrations probably by disrupting cell membranes and generally fucking around with things in the CNS.

Curiously enough, carbon dioxide has the same mass and electronic structure as nitrous oxide does. So there's that, too.

Carbogen is supposed to be a 50/50 mixture of carbon dioxide and oxygen... so it's not from oxygen deprivation. Carbon dioxide actually acts like a psychedelic at high blood concentrations probably by disrupting cell membranes and generally fucking around with things in the CNS.

Curiously enough, carbon dioxide has the same mass and electronic structure as nitrous oxide does. So there's that, too.

That's interesting.

So Co2 is actually a psychedelic.

It makes me wonder why more people haven't tried it.

It also makes me wonder why you couldn't simply exhale your own carbon dioxide into a balloon then inhale it again to get effects but I'm guessing there's some good reason behind this.

Co2 isn?t just a psychedelic , in smaller doses increases tissue oxygenation and is vasodilator so it could have beneficial effeffects in a number of disease