• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Phenethylamine HCL | Semi-experienced | Ideal for rolling when rolling isn't ideal

Seattle_Stranger

Bluelighter
I've been reading up on and experimenting with PEA (Phenethylamine HCL) on and off for a while now. It's a very interesting substance, completely and totally legal, often used as a workout supplement and nootropic. What interests me is that the very backbone of some of our most beloved (and most illegal!) drugs is completely legal and readily available, and despite what Shulgin said, absolutely does have profound, enjoyable psychotropic effects.

I've tested it a whole bunch of times over the last year or two, never really getting any enjoyable or recreational effects, albeit profound ones! Both with and without being coupled with Hordenine (an MAOI-inhibitor), I would always get a nearly-identical-to-MDMA full body rush that simply does not result in a burst of euphoria. Having dosed on the most purest MDMA I have ever personally tested in my life, the feelings are very fresh in my memory. Last night, I found a surprise large-scale FREE EDM event going on in Seattle, so I grabbed my girl and a couple of capsule of PEA and hordenine that I pre-packed a few weeks ago, and hopped the bus downtown. We had to catch a bus back home in less than 2-ish hours, and it was a work night, and this was unexpected to begin with, so tonight was not going to be an ideal night for getting into anything as involving as MDMA, mushrooms, or even much alcohol, however I was about to be immersed in "that environment" so I figured it would be a good opportunity to dip into my "soft drugs" stash for an experiment. I haven't played with PEA in a while, and I thought back to one particular experience where I took PEA in a somwhat-similar intense, loud, colorfully-lit party-environment, and the effects began to borderline on euphoric, so tonight I will try to explore that realm again.

Four 00 size capsules, 3 containing ~250mg Phenethylamine HCL each (total ~700mg), 1 containing ~250mg hordenine

0:00 - We arrive at the venue and get inside, and I immediately get hit with the 'flashback feelings' of times I've been inside this venue before while rolling. Pretty much no matter what event or venue I am at, if there is loud music and cool lighting, the instant I walk through the door I will have this "celebrity feeling" (for lack of a better description) that comes over me and puts me in a particular place, drugs or not. At this point I've only had some weed and kanna earlier, and kratom way, way earlier. None were significant at this point. I am starting to get a slight stomach discomfort, so I buy a bottle of water. I notice at this event there are a lot of people rolling and getting lightshows, this was a full scale rave event that we found ourselves at, for FREE! Awesome!! Down go the pills.

~0:30 - The music begins and the crowd closes in. We are surrounded by a sea of people, ravers, dancers, people in costumes, you name it, everyone having a great time and clearly high. Cigarettes and joints are being passed around like turkey sandwiches and security didn't seem to give a rats ass. My girl and I agree we are super lucky to have stumbled across this event! The music is going for a bit when I start to feel that feeling. Here it comes. It starts in the legs and works it's way up the back, then to the head and chest and arms. Your limbs start to feel disconnected, your skin tingles, vision becomes EXTREEEEEEMELY sharp (I felt like I could see and account for every dust particle in the air), the music started to sound really full and spacial, and dare I say it......euphoria. Within seconds my body is engulfed in this feeling indistinguishable from MDMA and completely un-ignorable, a definite +++. I start to do the same things I normally do while coming up on MDMA, I run my hands through my hair, I smile at people, I observe others and the ceiling a lot, I even found myself doing a little jaw gurning and eye-stretching (when you purposely widen your eyes to their maximum as if to stretch your eyelids, just like stretching your arms or legs, simply because it feels good to do so). I began feeling compelled to move and dance, put my hands in the air and just feel as one with the crowd. I begin to feel closer to those around me that are visibly very high and enjoying it, I feel myself thinking "Yeah, me too, man.." I am absolutely astonished how much I feel like I'm rolling HARD right now. I almost feel guilty, like I'm getting away with something..

~1:00 - The cigarette smoke becomes unbearable and we decide to leave the center of the crowd and find the edge. As we're pushing through the crowd and I'm looking all the lit-up faces directly in all their dime-sized eyes, continuing to feel as if I am on the same level, giving nods and such. We hang out on the edge of the crowd and I start to feel little breezes of cool air and it feels incredible, just as it does when rolling, and this increases my euphoric feelings. My whole body is buzzing, my feet feel oddly firmly planted to the ground as if my legs were extra heavy, but they were still effortless to move and I felt compelled to do so. We begin walking around people watching.

~1:30 - The feelings are still present but are subsiding now, leaving me somewhat missing the original rush. I talk to a security guard about something and I feel like I look high, and I feel like he knows. I thoroughly enjoy talking to him but I cut it short and wish him a good night, in fear that I just might be babbling on like a tweaker. My lady hits the bathroom and we head out, once more walking through the crowded area which brings back some of the feelings, but not full swing. Once outside, I feel exactly as I do when I'm starting to come down from MDMA and I leave the venue. The air feels and smells fresh, the world looks vivid and colorful, sounds are distant, ears ringing, body still subtly buzzing.

~1:50 - We arrive at the bus stop and I am completely baseline. I feel as if I hadn't taken anything at all that night. I am really hungry and we have a long wait and ride ahead of us, and this makes me feel irritated and emotionally flat-lined. I feel like nothing will make me happy except food or my bed. My girl tries to talk to me about the newspaper she's reading, and I find it hard to respond with enthusiasm, all very reminiscent of a come down. However, these feelings don't last long at all, maybe 15 minutes. Soon after that I felt better, and by the time the bus came I felt normal.....which means I could have genuinely just been pissed about the long wait and hungry, and not "coming down" per se.

~2:30 - We arrive home and everything is normal. We have some great sex, I slept fine, woke up in my usual "fuck work" mood, but got ready and got there on-time, feelin' finer-than-fine once I had some kratom.

All-in-all this was a profound discovery for me. One of my favorite parts of the MDMA experience is the come-up, that stimulating, body rushing-tingling 'lifting-off' feeling that isn't even really that euphoric yet, just kinda fun and anticipatory. The real waves of euphoria usually come AFTER the rush subsides. The PEA felt identical to the rush part, but when the real melting, glowing, holy-jesus-fuck-I-feel-good kind of feelings would start to occur with MDMA, is when the PEA subsides and fades to baseline. This makes for an interesting and weirdly satisfying substitute for molly if you're lookin' for an inexpensive, legal, effective recreational stimulant that doesn't last for hours and hours and effects sleep, effects appetite, effects the next day, etc..

I've had similar stuff happen when I eat several grams of PEA HCl on an empty stomach without an MAOI (like many big capsules all at once). It would sharpen my vision and my vision "frame rate" would go up like my brain was geared up for better motion awareness (like comparing youtube at 30fps to HDTV at 60fps). I get it on some other drugs like DMT. Felt like my brain switched operating modes moreso than taking speed. Almost trippy.. Lasts for 10-15 minutes without an MAOI.

Yeah I have too. Weirdly though, I obtained some diet pills that contain just a relatively small dose of PEA, and when I tried taking them I got a horrible, disgusting overstimulation that made me feel so wretched. Then some time later I obtained some pure PEA HCl and tried it again, and same thing. For whatever reason, it now affects me terribly, whereas before it was a nice, very short-lived high that dropped off quickly and left me feeling fine.

yeah; I've experimented with 500mg rhodiola + 1500mg PEA afair. gives a instant rushing comeup at ~15min with effects like described by the OP - virtually bare of mental effects. they did leave as fast as they came though.
never mixed it with a proper MAOi. maybe I should try that. :)

I've never done PEA but am interested. I've done l-Theanine before and get an effect that I'd describe as "sharp vision". Is PEA anything like that? The effect actually bothers me.

I'm just looking for a little pick me up that isn't some nasty caffeine pill bs.

From what I've read, and I now believe from personal experience, the action of PEA can be unpleasant if the user isn't in already stimulated either by physical motion or visual/auditory stimulation like being at a loud concert. If the user is, however, appropriately stimulated, the dopamine and adrenaline released synergizes with what is already swimming around, and enhances the effect greatly, and pleasantly. It's simply a potent stimulant and it's unpleasant to sit still with any stim, just as it can be unpleasant to work, walk and dance on sedatives.

It's too bad the effects are so short-lived, I have tried it at some point and did get the warm loved up rushy effect, but it was very brief. I'm not sure I entirely trust all sorts of MAOIs (I guess you need a MAO-B inhibitor here) and it doesn't seem like a good enough reason to mess with them... while orally activating DMT seems like a much better excuse.

I had a really terrible experience taking too much PEA + Hordenine + harmaloids ... Very small amount of harmaloids (25mgs), 1200 mgs PEA , something over 60 mgs hordenine(might have been more, can look up exact amounts if interested).5 minutes later, extemely quickly felt it coming up, white light, numbness, sudden feeling, oooooh fuck way too high, and keep coming up and coming up. Then the headache hits and i'm on the ground .Like I was struck down. Extreme pain right back side of head . Rush to get something to eat, go to room.I ended up passing out.

Next 3 days brain pain that would get severe whenever I lifted my head . Worst headache of my life. For weeks afterwards, any sexual activity... I simply couldnt do . It caused severe instant headaches. Cannabis also was not good at that time. I believe I may have had a hemmoragic stroke , a severe PEA headache, a severe choline headache... I'm not sure.The symptoms all point to the first idea.

I know PEA increases blood flow while the hordenine likely increases blood pressure. They probally both do.

So please, be careful with this. It did something bad to me.It was very traumatic. :/

-lenses

Yeah when MAO-B is inhibited the appropriate dose of PEA is more like 25-100mg. What you took was a MASSIVE overdose. 1200mg is a dose more appropriate for when no MAO-B inhibition is happening.

And NEVER mix an MAOI with kanna, the latter is an SSRI. This combination, especially adding phenethylamine could be lethal. And a hypertensive crisis w/serotonin syndrome is NOT a pretty way to go.

Ugh, kanna, I hate that stuff. It makes me feel terrible, even a tiny dose. Hot, flushing, anxious, uncomfortable... I've tried it a few times, a tiny pinch from a sample gram I got once. I threw the rest away after the last time (third trial). Never again.

Can't say I got much from it, it tasted absolutely foul though, kind of salty, dirt-like and hot at the same time.
Mixing it with an MAOI though is damn dangerous, with it being an SSRI.