• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Delay of shame: John Madden breaks silence on drugs in NFL, and others should follow

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Delay of shame: John Madden breaks silence on drugs in NFL, and others should follow Hall of Famer's lead
BY BOB RAISSMAN
May 24, 2014,

nfl_u_madden1_200.jpg

Madden's comments should send a message to all current NFL broadcasters, especially former players who still feel the pain. It does not matter how they find relief, only that they openly discuss it at length in the booth and on studio shows.

No need to speculate on the identity of the football broadcaster who John Madden says gets shot up with Toradol before working a game. Considering the quality of some NFL voices, it is the viewer who should reach for pain-killing drugs before tuning in.

Seriously, though, it’s strange that Madden, the singular greatest analyst in the history of televised sports, would deliver this kind of information, which he did Wednesday on his regular KCBS radio spot. For all those years he was behind an NFL microphone, Madden assiduously avoided discussing the dark side of football.

And that includes teams dispensing dangerous drugs, which eventually turns some players into stone junkies. As coach of the Oakland Raiders, and from being around the game all his life, Madden knew exactly the lengths teams go to keep players on the field.

As a broadcaster, Madden remained on the mountain top until he retired in 2009. For all those years he had the biggest football pulpit on television at his disposal but never preached, never used it to attempt to eradicate the more dangerous elements of the game, including rampant drug use.

Yet this is not about bashing Madden. In fact with his short radio spiel he provided a tipping point. Madden is saying the NFL’s drug culture is so pervasive that even a broadcaster (likely a former player) still needs strong pain relief.

This should send a message to all current NFL broadcasters, especially former players who still feel the pain. It does not matter how they find relief, only that they openly discuss it at length in the booth and on studio shows.

Their selling point is that being fresh off the field, they intimately know what’s happening in the game. Unfortunately, this translates into hours of repetitive talk about strategy. Or evaluating players and coaches. Rarely do these players talk about their own experiences with pain-killing drugs and how they were dispensed.

With the exception of Mike Ditka, many of the analysts skirt the subject or, like Fox’s Terry Bradshaw, cloak it in humor. Something like: “And you wonder why I’m so goofy.” Get it?

Unless current circumstances have moved them, as they did Mark Schlereth, analysts who left the game years ago are not going to get personal and reveal their own experiences with drug use — past or present. If they were inclined to, they would’ve done so long ago.

The new-wave analysts should — guys like Michael Strahan, Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and Tony Gonzalez. If they can relate their own experiences, they will bring fans even closer to the game and maybe even curtail any gratuitous use of pain-killing drugs.

These self-revelations would educate, bring context to what current players go though. And they would humanize players who once played in a league with an ability to dehumanize.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...l-follow-suit-article-1.1804459#ixzz32kIF45x4

...............................................................................................................................................................

Considering the quality of some NFL voices, it is the viewer who should reach for pain-killing drugs before tuning in.
lol.. so true. I wonder if the real reason madden does no fly is fear of flying or fear of airport security.

Good thing they dont let them shoot that deadly MJ8(

Madden is saying the NFL’s drug culture is so pervasive that even a broadcaster (likely a former player) still needs strong pain relief.
Can't a guy take some pain medication without us assuming anything about the connection to the larger "drug culture"?
What if he is just a regular person, taking some medicine for pain?

The new-wave analysts should — guys like Michael Strahan, Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and Tony Gonzalez. If they can relate their own experiences, they will bring fans even closer to the game and maybe even curtail any gratuitous use of pain-killing drugs.

The game will always take precedence over any narcotic analgesic use. So no, I doubt that the so-called new-wave analysts will spill the beans, unless they're compelled to do so, which likely won't happen.

There's too much money at stake. And in America, the center of capitalism, everybody has a price, and they'll either yak or shut up if that price is met.

This has been rampant for a long time, and won't stop, because too many people stand to lose too much money if it does. That and the National Football League is America's most popular professional sport, followed by Major League Baseball. Hell, even I watch Superbowl Sunday, and I'm more into baseball and soccer, but I digress.

Watch this story be swept under the rug soon, without much or any fallout, as there's simply too much money invested in the sport for Rx narcotic dependency and/or over-prescription to take precedence. Now throw me the ball dammit, I'm open!

The game will always take precedence over any narcotic analgesic use. So no, I doubt that the so-called new-wave analysts will spill the beans, unless they're compelled to do so, which likely won't happen.

There's too much money at stake. And in America, the center of capitalism, everybody has a price, and they'll either yak or shut up if that price is met.

This has been rampant for a long time, and won't stop, because too many people stand to lose too much money if it does. That and the National Football League is America's most popular professional sport, followed by Major League Baseball. Hell, even I watch Superbowl Sunday, and I'm more into baseball and soccer, but I digress.

Watch this story be swept under the rug soon, without much or any fallout, as there's simply too much money invested in the sport for Rx narcotic dependency and/or over-prescription to take precedence. Now throw me the ball dammit, I'm open!

Yeah, not exactly hopeful for any change. The NYT ran a huge story on Derek Boogaard, an NHL player who died of an overdose and how he had been to rehab a couple times, yet was still prescribed lots of pain killers by team doctors. Nothing came of it.

Good article though. Here's a link for anyone interested: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-boy-learns-to-brawl.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Madden is at least 150 pounds overweight, I have to imagine that may have something to do with the pain he experiences.

Seriously, though, it’s strange that Madden, the singular greatest analyst in the history of televised sports, would deliver this kind of information, which he did Wednesday on his regular KCBS radio spot. For all those years he was behind an NFL microphone, Madden assiduously avoided discussing the dark side of football.

Wow quite the statement, when did he win this prestigious title.

And honestly this article has no direction, it is really just drivel with little to no facts. The only thing it claims is some guy needed to toradol, as state an NSAID (granted with some serious potential side effects) to work.

And honestly this article has no direction, it is really just drivel with little to no facts. The only thing it claims is some guy needed to toradol, as state an NSAID (granted with some serious potential side effects) to work.

Another reason why I believe it'll be forgotten about soon enough and things will go back to "normal."