• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone clinic NOT helping..about to go on vacation..HELP!!

starry_eyedx

Greenlighter
My methadone clinic is ridiculous, I really feel like they could give less than two shits about my wellbeing and staying clean. I'm about to go on vacation for 8 days and they refuse to give me bottles to take with me. They want to try and find a clinic in Cancun for me to go to everyday... I don't know what to do. I have no mode of transportation when I get there and it's not like I'm going with my family who knows about my addiction. I'm going with my boyfriends whole family, and he's the only one who knows about me. I'm only bringing a limited amount of money that I've saved up from working too.

I only need one weeks worth of methadone, I'm currently on 125mg daily. I went on a cruise and lost my suboxone (before I was in treatment) and withdrew through all 8 days, and this was when I was only doing like 2 bags of dope a day. I haven't tested clean in the clinic because I havent reached my stable dose yet, and they know this and keep telling me this yet they still wont help me. I've been clean for almost two weeks now, with only one slip because they refused to medicate me when I was 3 minutes late. I need to leave the country and not be around any dealers or drugs, this would help me tremendously with quitting for good. I already feel 100x better now that I've been sober for the first time in two years, but the cravings are still there and it would take me two seconds to go out and buy. This vacation is also for my 20th birthday as well as my and my boyfriends 2 year anniversary. I need this more than anything, to get away from everything. I entered treatment cause my dad passed away from a brain aneurysm and the last thing he ever heard about me and found out was that I was a drug addict. I'm 20 years old as of a couple days ago, and it's been a ridiculous hard year.

Another problem is my insurance doesn't cover drug programs and what not, only alcohol treatment. I don't mind paying for a weeks work of methadone out of pocket. I really don't want to have to switch over to suboxone for a week and lose the months of progress I've had at this clinic, not to mention it's that much more expensive than methadone. I really have no idea what to do and time is ticking.

Can anyone please give me advice one what to do?!

I don't want to have to go down there and desperately search for h. I want this vacation to be completely sober and withdrawal free so I can FINALLY stay clean for good.

Thanks in advanced for anything helpful.

I'm about to go on vacation for 8 days and they refuse to give me [methadone] to take with me. [...] I want this vacation to be completely sober

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you have a bunch of methadone in your system you may feel normal but you're absolutely not sober. Also no clinic on earth is going to give you 8 days of 'done at once. Especially not at 125mg a dose... that's a gram of methadone. Enough to kill probably 50 people.

I want this vacation to be completely sober and withdrawal free so I can FINALLY stay clean for good.

Unless you take a fuckload of opiates with you, you're gonna feel withdrawal no matter what. It will probably take more than a few months to taper off a methadone dose that high. The best I can think of is stopping your 'done ASAP - like today - and getting through the worst of the w/d before you leave. If you're feelin froggy then leap.

Switch onto suboxone if you are really insistent on having a maintenance drug rather than doing a detox like you say you want to. Chalk the expense up to the cost of being an opioid dependent.

There could also be legal issues with bringing narcotics (legally prescribed) into other countries, check the local laws and bring all appropriate documentation before you leave to avoid anything unpleasant at Customs. Don't even bother trying to smuggle illegally purchased Suboxone or whatever in, and also don't try to buy narcotics down there... unless you fancy having your boyfriends' family bailing you out of a Carribean jail.

This is why they call it liquid handcuffs I'm sorry to say there's nothing you can do if they don't want to give you narcotics for your trip then they won't you can't make anyone give you such a powerful opiate to take overseas with you many people on methadone simply accept they can't go on vacation cause they are on methadone. That's the price you pay for letting the government take over your addiction to opiates instead of going to street dealers. Well its a ball and chain either way cause its not like you can take dope with you but there are so many places that don't let you bring methadone into it so if you insist on being on drugs then that's the price you have to pay this is why so many people want to quit methadone cause they want to be free finally . If you can't get clean then you will have to stay close to the clinic after time when you get more clean urine tests and have been with them for a while if you give them advanced warning then they will give you a supply to take with with a Max of one week or so. But that's after you have not used any other drugs on top of the Meth for a long time and your lucky to get the chance once a year. It sounds like you just started your program too so it should be expected that they won't be very flexible and especially knowing that you haven't had a single clean urine sample yet there's no way they would let you take home any methadone from the pharmacy. That's just the way it is I would certainly love to go to mexico on vacation too I've never gone on vacation before but I need to be close to the methadone clinic so i can pick up my suboxone everyday so i have to accept as long as I'm taking these narcotics I can't leave and go on vacation and I have to play by their rules.

Last edited:
You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you have a bunch of methadone in your system you may feel normal but you're absolutely not sober. Also no clinic on earth is going to give you 8 days of 'done at once. Especially not at 125mg a dose... that's a gram of methadone. Enough to kill probably 50 people.

Unless you take a fuckload of opiates with you, you're gonna feel withdrawal no matter what. It will probably take more than a few months to taper off a methadone dose that high. The best I can think of is stopping your 'done ASAP - like today - and getting through the worst of the w/d before you leave. If you're feelin froggy then leap.

Switch onto suboxone if you are really insistent on having a maintenance drug rather than doing a detox like you say you want to. Chalk the expense up to the cost of being an opioid dependent.

There could also be legal issues with bringing narcotics (legally prescribed) into other countries, check the local laws and bring all appropriate documentation before you leave to avoid anything unpleasant at Customs. Don't even bother trying to smuggle illegally purchased Suboxone or whatever in, and also don't try to buy narcotics down there... unless you fancy having your boyfriends' family bailing you out of a Carribean jail.
IDK about telling her to stop taking it asap as methadone w/ds get progressively worse as the days go by,(imo anyway), first 2 days are not that bad, but after the 3rd day with no methadone or other opiates, the w/ds start getting bad, no sleep, sweating, cold chills, headache, body ache, etc.

That is quite the predicament, I also agree about NOT trying to cop anything down there from someone you dont know...that could end up VERY bad for you! Plus, Im not sure Mexico even has methadone clinics and if they did, I bet it would be be a bitch to get into one on short notice, especially being an american.

Im nto advising it, but I have heard from more than few people that in Mexico, some pharmacies will sell narcotics over the counter if they like you, Ive never done it and would be scared to even try, but since you are a 20 yr old US american female, you may get lucky, also maybe look around for local junkies and get to be quick friends with them..??

The comment about liquid handcuffs is sooo right! I live in KY but have always wanted to move to southern CA, had a chance once, but I was too fearful about leaving my connections behind and worried about making new ones quickly in a new area. Its like once you are on a strong opiate, you are stuck there, and to even take a vacation causes problems.

Last edited:
Also I don't think your gonna find a stable dose if your over 100 mgs and still using other drugs. Methadone doesn't take away the feeling where you want to get high it only make you not sick as it doesn't carry with it the euphoria of heroin. So even if you symptoms are taken care of you can still crave the heroin high so you need to work at it yourself too not expect the Meth to take care of everything for you while you don't change anything. Its an extremely powerful opiate though and I never even Needed 100mgs of Meth to get by when I took it 70mgs was a lot to me and I was injecting over an 8ball of pure China white a day when I was dealing in kilos of it. If you did 2 stamp bags a day then that's not very much I did at least a half gram to a gram of dope for a single shot. If your still using drugs on top of all that methadone their is obviously a need for other measures such as rehabilitation and/or counseling to stop the need to get high. Methadone won't do all the work for you a lot of the times it can create more than you had before.

Trust me you don't want to try and switch over to Suboxone from 125mg's of Methadone either. You will surely get precip. w/d's and wish you were just having normal w/d's.

Buy it of others. This may be illegal in your country and I put it out there as HR as MORE harm may come if you don't have it. BTW 125mg is a lot - your clinic keep upping you? Bad clinic.

Such is the problem with methadone.. but this is something you have to be aware of and by getting on methadone in the first place, you're accepting that this is part of the deal. So if you until you get takehomes, or if you can't guest dose, then unfortunately you can't go away.

That's just the price you pay.

I have heard kratom can help and it is legal dont know if it is in Mexico though

Such is the problem with methadone.. but this is something you have to be aware of and by getting on methadone in the first place, you're accepting that this is part of the deal. So if you until you get takehomes, or if you can't guest dose, then unfortunately you can't go away.

That's just the price you pay.

Indeed. You're going to have to face up to the decisions that brought you to this point. The methadone clinic didn't start you on opioids.

But self blame is useless, you are here. You're gonna have to wait for take-homes, or you're going to have to taper and switch to bupe, or taper low and switch to lope or kratom or something.

I have heard kratom can help and it is legal dont know if it is in Mexico though
Kratom would be like pissing on a raging fire at that dose of daily methadone. Without a taper it's a a no-go.

My clinic will give me 8 take out's at the drop of a hat... but I have had clean urine for a couple of years now. Something's not right if you have been on 125 for that long after a two bag a day habit. Physically, you should be fine on about 60mg. Emotionally, you are gonna have to get past the desire to get high, (or at least just be satisfied with the little buzz the done gives you) otherwise the methadone clinic is just a waste of your time. Not trying to be harsh, I have been exactly where you are and am probably just a little bit older.

My clinic will give me 8 take out's at the drop of a hat... but I have had clean urine for a couple of years now. Something's not right if you have been on 125 for that long after a two bag a day habit. Physically, you should be fine on about 60mg. Emotionally, you are gonna have to get past the desire to get high, (or at least just be satisfied with the little buzz the done gives you) otherwise the methadone clinic is just a waste of your time. Not trying to be harsh, I have been exactly where you are and am probably just a little bit older.

Seems excessive, but they're already there.

I've been clean for almost two weeks now, with only one slip because they refused to medicate me when I was 3 minutes late.

This is why they're getting no takehomes I would say.

unless you fancy having your boyfriends' family bailing you out of a Carribean jail.

Mexican jail, and I bet it would be bribing you out more than bailing lol. But still don't get in that situation.

My brother bought on a cruise ship stop and brought it on the ship. I thought him a tard' for being dumb to search it out in such a place (his ass being worth more as a fucking hostage than a 10 sack), but we got stoned not caught - luckily , smoked it all before getting back to port lol. This was with bud. Punishment would be bad, but talking opioids. All they sell as you get off the ship is tramadol (cannot possibly help you), and my bro went into some free "pharmacy doctor' to get a script for codeine for a free doctor exam + price lol.

Funny thing is they were selling it as hydrocodone, and I was like "hell yeah" grabbed the box, fucking tramadol. I was like WTF this ain't hydrocodone, she says in broken English "Kill pain." lol

Last edited:
Something's not right if you have been on 125 for that long after a two bag a day habit. Physically, you should be fine on about 60mg. .
Ah you guys have misunderstood me, I was just referring to the cruise I went on last year completely without anything after having a 2 bag a day habit and the withdrawals were still horrible and ruined my vacation basically.

When I got on methadone I was on a 2 bundle a day habit.

Only a couple weeks ago have I been getting the buzz and thats whats actually been helping me stay clean. I want to go to mexico so badly because I'm about a week and a half probably two weeks sober now, if I can just leave the country and relax with the person I love, and not have any access to drugs, I know for a fact when I come out, I won't want to do anything. Dope makes me feel like shit now after I get high, I'm finally at the point where I WANT to stop and get past this horrible stage of my life.
I was emotionally weak cause m dad passed so suddenly from a brain aneurysm as I said before and I walked in on his body and that image still haunts me. I also have depression and anxiety, which was what really was keeping my cravings going.

I think I'll just have to find one of those lenient doctors somewhere in my tristate area and get a script.

This is why bluelight is the best, tough love when needed. Their is nothing ridiculous about your clinic. I used to make myself believe all desire to use would vanish and i would be "cured" if I could just do this one thing my mind was set on. I was actually just lying to myself. Not to be a downer but you may want to be careful with that way of thinking.

I want to go to mexico so badly because I'm about a week and a half probably two weeks sober now, if I can just leave the country and relax with the person I love, and not have any access to drugs, I know for a fact when I come out, I won't want to do anything.
I hope this is true, but being an addict myself, I know this is not likely. Once you know what opiates do and the feeling they give, it is VERY hard to remain clean from ANYTHING. Tough days will come, you will have days you feel like shit and in the back of your mind, the dope will be beckoning. Ive tried to explain this to non-users before when I am asked about addiction, and I have found they just dont understand, because they dont know what the feeling is like from opiates.

How much time do you have before your trip. You may be able to start a taper then switch to Loperamide. It may be rocky at first but no one will wonder why you are bringing massive amounts of it to Mexico. By the way drink beer down there if you are not in a tourist heavy area, you don't know where that ice in your margarita came from. Also it may be a long shot but you can try to explain your situation to a sympathetic doctor. Talk to other patients at your clinic, they tend to know the doctors that are more understanding. Then be upfront and honest with them. Bringing drugs into Mexico should be easier than taking them out the main thing they worry about coming in are guns and cash. Good luck, but you may have to cancel your trip if you can't find a solution. I can only imagine that WDs from 125mg of done would be world shattering.

Ah you guys have misunderstood me, I was just referring to the cruise I went on last year completely without anything after having a 2 bag a day habit and the withdrawals were still horrible and ruined my vacation basically.

When I got on methadone I was on a 2 bundle a day habit.

Only a couple weeks ago have I been getting the buzz and thats whats actually been helping me stay clean. I want to go to mexico so badly because I'm about a week and a half probably two weeks sober now, if I can just leave the country and relax with the person I love, and not have any access to drugs, I know for a fact when I come out, I won't want to do anything. Dope makes me feel like shit now after I get high, I'm finally at the point where I WANT to stop and get past this horrible stage of my life.
I was emotionally weak cause m dad passed so suddenly from a brain aneurysm as I said before and I walked in on his body and that image still haunts me. I also have depression and anxiety, which was what really was keeping my cravings going.

I think I'll just have to find one of those lenient doctors somewhere in my tristate area and get a script.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues but I don't see you taking any drugs overseas that's just the way it is as long as your getting high on methadone everyday your not gonna be able to travel anywhere you want and take your drugs with you. Being clean takes a lot of work you can't just switch from getting high on heroin everyday to being high on methadone everyday it just doesn't work that way it is still a ball and chain. Like Seiko said you may feel normal but you actually have more opiates then you've ever had flowing through your veins right now especially if its getting you high the methadone should make you well not high. I think you will have to get clean before you think about going to mexico youll have to get off the methadone and be clean only then will you be completely free to do want you want when you want.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues but I don't see you taking any drugs overseas that's just the way it is as long as your getting high on methadone everyday your not gonna be able to travel anywhere you want and take your drugs with you. Being clean takes a lot of work you can't just switch from getting high on heroin everyday to being high on methadone everyday it just doesn't work that way it is still a ball and chain. Like Seiko said you may feel normal but you actually have more opiates then you've ever had flowing through your veins right now especially if its getting you high the methadone should make you well not high. I think you will have to get clean before you think about going to mexico youll have to get off the methadone and be clean only then will you be completely free to do want you want when you want.

QFT

I feel this ball dangling around my foot with even loperamide. But, it is a bit easier to get into countries with it (maybe not middle eastern ones) as it's OTC, and non-narcotic, and used for travelers diarrhea.