• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone clinic NOT helping..about to go on vacation..HELP!!

Not all of this is accurate...

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you have a bunch of methadone in your system you may feel normal but you're absolutely not sober. Also no clinic on earth is going to give you 8 days of 'done at once. Especially not at 125mg a dose... that's a gram of methadone. Enough to kill probably 50 people.

Unless you take a fuckload of opiates with you, you're gonna feel withdrawal no matter what. It will probably take more than a few months to taper off a methadone dose that high. The best I can think of is stopping your 'done ASAP - like today - and getting through the worst of the w/d before you leave. If you're feelin froggy then leap.

Switch onto suboxone if you are really insistent on having a maintenance drug rather than doing a detox like you say you want to. Chalk the expense up to the cost of being an opioid dependent.

There could also be legal issues with bringing narcotics (legally prescribed) into other countries, check the local laws and bring all appropriate documentation before you leave to avoid anything unpleasant at Customs. Don't even bother trying to smuggle illegally purchased Suboxone or whatever in, and also don't try to buy narcotics down there... unless you fancy having your boyfriends' family bailing you out of a Carribean jail.

I simply read the first sentence and this is the most uniformative post ive ever seen. Well, maybe not EVER. Firstly, you can ABSOLUTELY get 8 take outs of 125mg's for a trip (if you have a step). I was on methadone for years. I was on 137mg and got 13 takeouts to go to Mexico on a cruise. I got FIFTEEN takeouts for my trip to FLORIDA cause the only clinic near me was 2 hours away so i couldn't courtesy dose. What makes you think you cannot get more than 8 takeouts?
Yes, some countries will have problems with bringing it in. But I had a doctors note when I went to the philippines and then Vietnam.... I was only on step one and got 10 takeouts.

Also... what really angered me about this post...

Who are YOU to say that he is not sober because he is on medication assisted therapy? You don't get to determine if he is clean or actively in addiction, you don't decide what makes someone "clean." Only he can do that.

You are the problem with mental health funding in this country. I can't even finish reading your post cause of how innacurate the first half is.

I apologize to all if this is an old thread and I am bumping it but dear lord this answer was at the top and is not only misleading... well im not going to rant. Maybe you posted this years ago when things were different. I just cant get over this:

"Also no clinic on earth is going to give you 8 days of 'done at once." I thought maybe you were being sarcastic. This is just sad.

OP, i hope you got some other real answers that were helpful. I only read this one.

Methadone might not be for you.... but it certainly DOES NOT MEAN THAT SINCE YOU ARE ON METHADONE THAT YOU ARE NOT IN RECOVERY.

Getting clean DOES NOT MEAN getting sober. it means RETURNING TO A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE.

Methadone gave me a life again. When I was ready I did UROD -- which now, looking back I probably should have tapered, cause it sucked... but i got my life back.

you're not clean If you're taking drugs, period. A drug is a drug, the fact that it's a maintenance means nothing. Oh and you arnt sober if your still taking drugs of any capacity.

Why make a rant on 4+ year post?