• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

A Working Recipe - In the Works! Canna-Coconut Oil

Expansion420

Bluelighter
Hey BL it's been a while. I would always post on this site when I was a polysubstance abuser lol so it's funny to be back. Anywho I figured this community of people would appreciate it more than any other forum, so I'm posting this recipe here EXCLUSIVELY for the BlueLight community. Enjoy

AC's Canna-Coconut Oil
Yields 1/2 cup medicated coconut oil​
Prep Time: 2 hrs
Cook Time: 4hrs

Ingredients:
1/2 cup organic virgin coconut oil
6 grams decarboxylated cannabis, finely ground (almost powder)

Materials:
[1] 16 fl. oz capacity food warmer
[1] package of cheesecloth
[1] glass storage container with tight-fitting lid
[1] metal cookie sheet
[1] food processor (substitute for grinder)
[1] meat thermometer
[1] metal spoon
[1] oven in a well ventilated space
[1] freezer
[1] pizza stone (optional)

Procedure:
To begin making this absolutely wonderful oil, you will need to begin with the medicine. The finer quality medicine used, the higher quality the finished product will be. Now in the past, I have made oils and butters with low quality buds (mids, as some might call them).. and while those edibles were effective and produced great memories with friends (such as "Pot Wings"- cannabutter, hot sauce and honey coated chicken wings, 0.6g X wing)- those treats were nothing compared to the potency of oils containing cannabinoids from superior flowers. As I will teach you, the more care and attention to detail that is put into your work, the more gorgeous and potent your end result will be. So let us start with the finest quality flowers available to you, and continue step by step with me.

Step One: Decarboxylation

In order to create a potent oil extract, you must first understand the medicine. Cannabis flowers in their natural dried state contain very small percentages of THC. In fact, freshly cured cannabis flowers contain a very large concentration of THCA, or 2-COOH-THC. This molecule is not psychoactive, which is why eating raw cannabis does not get you high. In order to create an edible form of your bud, this heat-based conversion process is essential to creating a proper product. Decarboxylation is the process in which the COOH group is removed from the chain, leaving tetrahydrocannabinol or THC. Once the flowers have been decarboxylated, they can begin releasing their resinous trichomes into our fat. More on that later.

Begin by preheating your oven to 205°F (I find that any temperature below 212°F but above 180°F is appropriate and effective for this procedure). I like to place a pizza stone in my oven before I turn it on. This helps hold the heat of the circulating air in one spot and helps maintain the temperature very evenly; but this option is entirely up to you. The cookie sheet will work fine.

Next, loosely grind your buds using the food processor or grinder. The bud wants to be shakey, with some popcorn nuggets floating around. Not powder, and not even as fine as broken up with your fingers. A gloved hand and a pair of scissors also works well for this step.

Next, dump the contents of your grind directly onto your cookie sheet. {NOTE- if you used the food processor, be sure to bang out the bowl for kief}
Place the cookie sheet into the oven at 205°F for 45 minutes. When the time is up, congratulations, you have effectively converted your smokable weed into orally actve weed.

Step 2: Freezing your Flowers

The next step is a bit crucial. Once the bud has finished the decarboxylation process, it is very important to allow significant cooling time. To do this, I allow 30 minutes out of the oven for the bud to come to room temperature. I then place it in a small glass mason jar and nestle it in the ice maker in my freezer. Allow at least two hours for the freeze to take place. I allow a 24 hour freeze. What this step does is it hardens the trichomes enough to the point where they easily detach from the plant material in your fat. Not allowing significant freeze time can result in loss of potency, wasted product, and unhappy times. Just put it in the freezer.

Step 3: Assembling our Lab

Invest in a small 16 fl. oz capacity food warmer. I paid $12 for mine at the grocery store, so I have to believe Wal-Mart sells it for $8. It's a no-brainer. The reason we want to use a food warmer for the extraction is because we have already spent the time to delicately decarboxylate and prepare our medicine. We would HATE to throw that bud into a pan of butter on the stove top and have it scorched past the point of vaporization. What we are trying to achieve is a very carefully controlled temperature for a long period of time, thus retaining potency.

Once the cooker has been obtained, plug it in and add your 1/2 cup solid coconut oil. Enjoy the perfume of coconut as the oil melts down and becomes ready to go.

Step 4: Let's Cook

Add your decarboxylated freezer weed directly into the melted oil. Using a metal spoon, stir the flowers and incorporate them evenly into the oil. Cover the warmer and every half hour, stir and gather a temperature using a meat thermometer. {NOTE- The reason for this is because these cheap food warmers may or may not be mechanically sound. It is always better to ensure you are not reaching anything above 200°F. If you are, I recommend unplugging the device and replugging it every fifteen minutes through the end of the process} After 4 hours, your oil is ready to be strained. Just allow 10-15 minutes for the food warmer to cool down. If it has a detachable crock, remove it from the base at this point to accelerate the cooling time because I know you're in a hurry by this point.

Step 5: Strain and Serve

If you are doing this alone, I recommend acquiring a rubber band for this step. Place a sheet of cheesecloth (doubled over a few times) over a glass bowl (preferably with a spout) and secure it to the bowl using the rubber band, or a friend's hands. Dump the contents of your cooled crock onto the cheesecloth. The oil should strain through and the finely ground plant material should remain atop the cloth. CAREFULLY remove the rubber band (I snip it with scissors) and remove the cheesecloth from the top of the bowl.
Now, twist the weed left inside the cloth up into a ball and SQUEEZE out the rest of the oil. You'll be surprised how much is left in the weed. [Using a squeeze juicer for citrus would also work here.] THAT'S IT. You have just created potent medicine that when used in one tray of vegan brownies will create [12] 0.5g treats, or [6] 1g treats.

As long as great care, focus, and attention to detail are observed, this recipe should be very easy to follow. Just don't rush anything I said! I have spent lots of time playing around to come up with these numbers. Since there is no set and definitive recipe for cannabis cooking oils, it is forced to be a trial and error experience, JUST like real cooking! Who says Mama Luigi's pizza is the correct recipe when Tony's makes it just as good, yaknow? ;)

And for a sweet treat, check out my Golden Honey Elixir recipe!

Last edited: