• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Imodium) Megathread v. 2

I am now 50 days from my last dose of Imodium. I am I would say 95% recovered just have a bad day now and again like anyone else. If anyone has any questions about what loperamide c/to is like if be happy to share my experiences and give some encouragement to anyone who is in a similar position as I was 2 months ago.

Really and truly, everyone is different. I'm on day 7 of bupe withdrawal assisted by lope, after years of methadone and IV H addiction, and my BMs are completely normal (read: the same as they've ever been since I became addicted to opiates). I'm taking anywhere from 20mg-30mg per day. I was terrified of intestinal fallout when I began, but for whatever reason I've been absolutely fine. All different folks say all different things, and I'm sure it's a concern and something to keep an eye on, but with lope I think you just never can tell how it'll affect the individual without actually just taking it and seeing...well, how it affects you.

I am now 50 days from my last dose of Imodium. I am I would say 95% recovered just have a bad day now and again like anyone else. If anyone has any questions about what loperamide c/to is like if be happy to share my experiences and give some encouragement to anyone who is in a similar position as I was 2 months ago.

I'd like to hear about this. I am a longtime opiate user who somehow missed the lope train (and just thinks back to all that needless suffering, smh), so I've only been taking about 20mg per day to maintain during bupe WD for about four days now. I can now safely say that my bowels are still functioning fairly normally (she says with great relief), but I have been thinking all day about what THIS w/d is going to be like, when the time comes. I mean, you know how it is, when you first take lope for WD, you are just so damn happy and surprised and grateful to feel relief and feel normal again for awhile (HOLY SH!T IT actually WORKS!!) that you most definitely aren't thinking of the long-term future. But I AM beginning to think of these things now, and I damn sure don't want to trade my years-long H/methadon'/bupe addiction for chomping a dozen or more little OTC pills each and every day. Not to mention long term effects. So in short, I would love to hear about this process. Thanks.

Longbeachone, it's great you have found relief, I will say as a warning to be careful of your loperamide intake/duration of use. Having experienced w/d from fentanyl (duragesic patch) oxy, ultram, and loperamide (the last drug I detoxes from) I will say te lope w/d was far worse and is taking a long time to resolve. Fentanyl is pretty short acting loperamide is much longer acting and seems to cause a longer duration w/d in my opinion. Detoxing from fetanyl was no cake walk but within 2 weeks I was feeling back to 80%normal. With lope I'm approaching a month and am only about 25% of normal. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth,
I suspect it's simply because it's longer-acting, just like bupe or methadone. At day 27 on cold turkey bupe WD, I still felt as horrible and miserable as ever. Literally. Same with methadone With my H addiction and the oxy addiction that started it all, I was feeling pretty much normal after 2 weeks and TOTALLY normal after a month. These longer acting opioids are just horrible to get away from. The damn receptors just don't want to forget about them.

Without getting into too much detail here, I wanna just jump on the train that lopramide does have pretty intense withdrawals. After stopping daily use there was pretty bad RLS. I from the start assumed the lope would have good effects but, didn't think withdrawal would actually be a factor.

Anyone who's looked deeply into loperamide would have run across that already. "Acute analgesic effect of loperamide as compared to morphine after intrathecal administration in rat," as an mu agonist that is only expected. I bet you get plenty high from it as well, as intrathecal administration of like 1mg of morphine is equal to 100-200 mg IV. You will, however, probably not find many people willing to inject loperamide into their spinal cord. :)

Anyone who's looked deeply into loperamide would have run across that already. "Acute analgesic effect of loperamide as compared to morphine after intrathecal administration in rat," as an mu agonist that is only expected. I bet you get plenty high from it as well, as intrathecal administration of like 1mg of morphine is equal to 100-200 mg IV. You will, however, probably not find many people willing to inject loperamide into their spinal cord. :)

I wasn't referring to the IR injection. That wouldn't help anyone here anyway, since the study itself said the effects weren't reversed by nalaxone.
(And yes, naloxone's binding affinity is much, much higher than Lope's).

I was pointing out the mention of Cereport, a new chemotherapuetic drug that helps substances cross the BBB. Apperantly they have tested the drug with loperamide(which makes sense) but haven't found much else on it. I forgot to mention that though, but that was the point.

For me personally, lope has little use. And going for CNS effects is silly. Your body throws up 3 barriers to keep lope from binding to CNS receptors, there must be a reason!

But no one I have seen has mentioned Cereport, so I did.

I wasn't referring to the IR injection. That wouldn't help anyone here anyway, since the study itself said the effects weren't reversed by nalaxone.

I was pointing out the mention of Cereport, a new chemotherapuetic drug that helps substances cross the BBB. Apperantly they have tested the drug with loperamide(which makes sense) but haven't found much else on it. I forgot to mention that though, but that was the point.

For me personally, lope has little use. And going for CNS effects is silly. Your body throws up 3 barriers to keep lope from binding to CNS receptors, there must be a reason!

Yeah I saw it in there "Cereport, RMP-7, bradykinin B2 agonist" for helping drugs enter the CNS. However I doubt these drugs are available to anyone but researchers.

Is it the bradykinin B2 agonism which causes this effect. If so why can't I get high on loperamide if I'm using albuterol?

Yeah, it's not available yet, but Apperantly they have started human trials. Seems promising, but like I said, I'm not sure Lope should be fucked with like that(I mean for CNS effects) and no way in hell should anyone be trying to get "high" off of it(no offense). I could only understand attempting to unlock SOME CNS effects if you are severely dependent upon opioids, and even then to tread with caution(while also not expecting much, if that makes sense)

Yeah, it's not available yet, but Apperantly they have started human trials. Seems promising, but like I said, I'm not sure Lope should be fucked with like that(I mean for CNS effects) and no way in hell should anyone be trying to get "high" off of it(no offense). I could only understand attempting to unlock SOME CNS effects if you are severely dependent upon opioids, and even then to tread with caution(while also not expecting much, if that makes sense)

Agreed!

Whatsup all.,
I've been taking 20-30 mg lope a day after kicking Bupe. I planned on getting off lope but so far have had no luck, the wd'a were very real when I tried to jump from 40+mg..hoping to do a slow taper. Im having normal BM's but their not all that normal, alot of the small dense pellets usually, i'm hoping even with smaller bms on average a day I can avoid fecal impaction. LOL sorry to be so descriptive..
My real question is this, in the past week I have began working out on my weight machine ,mainly arms and a chest. Which feels amazing because on psychoactive opiates this is something that seemed unfathomable. I just had a pretty hard workout and after my core felt pretty tense, not really all that sore but almost like a cramp. Im assuming its from just a vigorous workout but it got me thinking, since working out usually hits the core, is there any risk with my inevitable backup I have going on in my gut? I drink atleast 6 bottles of water a day, but was just curious if anyone knows if there are any potential risks while taking loperamide and working out.
Thankyou

Agreed, and especially with the underlined part.

If what they want it for is for chemotherapy drugs... it means that letting things past that barrier will do more harm than good when used in oncology.

Whatsup all.,
I've been taking 20-30 mg lope a day after kicking Bupe. I planned on getting off lope but so far have had no luck, the wd'a were very real when I tried to jump from 40+mg..hoping to do a slow taper. Im having normal BM's but their not all that normal, alot of the small dense pellets usually, i'm hoping even with smaller bms on average a day I can avoid fecal impaction. LOL sorry to be so descriptive..
My real question is this, in the past week I have began working out on my weight machine ,mainly arms and a chest. Which feels amazing because on psychoactive opiates this is something that seemed unfathomable. I just had a pretty hard workout and after my core felt pretty tense, not really all that sore but almost like a cramp. Im assuming its from just a vigorous workout but it got me thinking, since working out usually hits the core, is there any risk with my inevitable backup I have going on in my gut? I drink atleast 6 bottles of water a day, but was just curious if anyone knows if there are any potential risks while taking loperamide and working out.
Thankyou

Doubt it. I would think that working out would be even better for you, and less likely to elicit stomach problems; but I don't know that for a fact.

Keep a taper schedule written down, it will help.

I just read in this forum-Lope is a Calcium channel blocker, which can lead to heart disease...If lope is considered an Opiate of some kind, does this mean all of the other opiates/opioids are calcium channel blockers as well? Heroin, oxy, subs/subutex? Or is Lope being a CCB, just part of what makes it unique, and something to be used with caution?

Loperamide: blockade of calcium channels as a mechanism for antidiarrheal effects.

Reynolds IJ, Gould RJ, Snyder SH.

Abstract

The antidiarrheal opiates loperamide, fluperamide, diphenoxylate and fetoxylate inhibited binding of [3H]nitrendipine to membranes from guinea-pig cerebral cortex with Ki values of 0.5 to 10 microM. Loperamide and fluperamide reversed the tiapamil elicited lowering of [3H]nitrendipine binding with IC50 values of 0.2 to 0.5 microM, indicating a verapamil-like action of these drugs. An oral dose of 1 mg/kg of loperamide reduced gastrointestinal motility and gave concentrations of 0.45 +/- 0.19, 0.38 +/- 0.22 and 0.49 +/- 0.25 microM in the duodenum, jejunum and ileum, respectively. The apparent Ki for loperamide in preventing calcium-induced contractions of guinea-pig ileum depolarized with 80 mM potassium was 0.10 microM. We propose that calcium channel antagonism is responsible at least in part for the antidiarrheal actions of loperamide and related agents. Evidence includes the calcium antagonist actions of loperamide at antidiarrheal doses, the constipating effects of certain calcium antagonists and the failure of opiate antagonists to prevent some intestinal effects of loperamide.

Looks like that contributes to the anti-peristaltic effect when naloxone is administered.

guys ok i have withdrawls...
i have immodium...
what else do i need?
be a bit specific for an average citizen,,,

Tonic Water - it will say contains quinie on the front.

Tagamet.

Tums.

Eat/drink these things. One thing some people don't mention is ROA.

I.e.- Swallow 2. Chew four. Use two sublingually.

I always chew them first

guys ok i have withdrawls...
i have immodium...
what else do i need?
be a bit specific for an average citizen,,,

This depends on the quantity of drugs you were using. If you have a Tylenol 1 addiction then you only need 4 once a day.

take 4mg once, and repeat every four hours until you feel normal, unless you have a treall high tolerance/dependency, then you need to start with more, and titrate off from there.

Tonic Water - it will say contains quinie on the front.

Tagamet.

Tums.

Eat/drink these things. One thing some people don't mention is ROA.

I.e.- Swallow 2. Chew four. Use two sublingually.

I always chew them first

Unnecessary.

I just used this to kick IV heroin.
Went and picked up 10 12 pill boxes from dollar tree and took a box every 12 hours for 4 days.
Actually worked. after I still have flu like symptoms and some pain which I imagine I could have avoided with continued use.
But I read that Loperamide itself can be physically addicting so.. Not trying to replace one w the other by any means.