• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Imodium) Megathread v. 2

^^

Interesting, but dangerous.

There was another thread about this you can check out here.

I had read that, but thank you, anyway.
I'm a Biologist by training, as opposed to a Chemist, but I'm sure mixing water and AA forms ethanoic acid and so his product would not have been acylated. Also, the doses would point more towards the non acetylated version.
Subjectively, 1mg of 4-AL is equivalent to around 2/2.5mg Morphine.

Crazy. Too bad no one sells pure loperamide.

Uh... actually go down to your local pharmacy... It's ALWAYS sold as pure loperamide ಠ_ಠ Unless you actually meant Loperamide without any pill binders... in which case, I would agree. (not that I've ever IV'd something)

The subject has had positive results at curbing withdrawal from methadone, heroin and codeine using immodium. It has produced great relief from withdrawal from codeine alone. Never experienced highs from it tho. Interesting thread. It's probably been written somewhere on this thread, but as far as I know Loperamide is structurally similar to Fentanyl and was intended to be a pain killer originally. Might be wrong.

Loperamide is in the class of 4-Phenylpiperidines and says fentanyl is a Anilidopiperidines, making loperamide closer to pethidine than fentanyl.

I've had very good success with Loperamide the past few weeks. I feel the trick is to taper quickly. I had to start at moderately high doses around 60mg then lower to 30 then 20 then 12 where I stabalized then went down 2mg every other day. Jumping off was slightly uncomforatable had very very mild RLS and some insomnia but it was very light.

Those with a normally functioning intestinal tract will most likely not have any luck with loperamide to act centrally except possibly in cases of loperamide bombardment. However, those who suffer from an intestinal inflammation disease will often develop perforation in the ileum. If there is perforation in the ileum, chances are there is also perforation in the BBB.
In cases like these, loperamide has better access to the blood from the intestines, giving one with perforations more profound peripheral effects, and better access to the brain through a perforated BBB, resulting in a centrally acting "high".

I would not be surprised to know that those who do claim to get high off of lope also have some form of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, etc).

Last edited:
It's a fallacy that lope doesn't cross the BBB. The fact is it does, but gets pumped out fast.(the Wiki article might explain this better) Some people do indead get "high" off lope.

It's a fallacy that lope doesn't cross the BBB. The fact is it does, but gets pumped out fast.(the Wiki article might explain this better) Some people do indead get "high" off lope.

That's right! That's why bombardment of the BBB can work; the inhibitors can't kick the lope out fast enough. The lope that does get through will attach to receptors if it makes it in.
Be careful tho. Loperamide isn't the only thing that's supposed to get "pumped out", and those little nasties are getting through, too. Potentially dangerous. FYI, in the spirit of harm reduction.

Has anyone successfully detoxes from lope? I used it for 2 years after detoxing from ultram. I am now 16 days no opiates. First week was worse than ultram or oxy/ fent wd imo. Rls subsided on day 14 but legs still feel like jelly an are sore. How long can I expect this? I was on 200mg daily but did a week taper to 120mg daily and jumped to zero. Was able to sleep 9 hours last night without trazodone although it was broken sleep. Any duration info would be appreciated. I'm still so fatigued.

I just started a lope taper for dilaudid withdrawal and it takes away 99% of my w/d symptoms!!! I am taking 96mg and am already beginning to taper down after reading others experiences with lope addiction. I want to thank u all for giving safe and helpful advice in this mega thread. Lope has saved my butt and I cannot believe I am three days off my DOC.
One question tho that I haven't read much about: does anyone else experience extreme itchiness while on lope? It feels just like the normal opiate itchys that I get but is MUCH more pronounced...is this from dehydration? Also I notice my hands and feet are much quicker to"fall asleep". Anyone else experience this? Is it dangerous???

I am now coming up on 3 weeks clean off a 2 year 200mg a day loperamide addiction. Still extremely tired but making myself work in yard seems to help myself sleep at night without having to use trazodone. I would say I gain maybe .5% of my energy back everyday. I would say I'm at about 25% of normal energy levels so we will see if it ever comes back. I get discouraged sometimes but I'm still holding strong .

How long can one be on this stuff without contracting withdrawals from lope itself? In regards to withdrawal maintainence I mean. It seems common to read that most people who have ran into problems are taking 50mgs+ for 2 weeks or longer. Now I've been researching this quite a lot and it seems those who take small of a dose as possible then taper fairly quickly seem to have the most success. So reading of people taking it for longer than the physical withdrawals actually take leads me to think this drug can be used quite effectively but only for 3-4 days, through the worst of the physical withdrawals.

I've personally had more success using 10mg potentiated with zantac (no cimitidine in Aus) tonic water and grapefruit juice than I have with 20mg and no potentiators. From my understanding these methods could be achieved by just taking more but when 10mg potentiated actually helps more than 20mg alone leads me to think maybe taking more may not be worth it unless you are willing to take that many extra. The potentiation may increase levels in the brain and therefore benefit the gut in that it won't be bombarded with lope. Don't quote me on that, it's just a thought, which could be completly incorrect. For all I know it may potentiate it in the gut just as much.

Anyway I am coming off a 3.5gram/day codeine habit (yes I know it is quite a lot, I do CWE just in case anyone is wondering). The withdrawals are fairly shit and I did notice a bit of relief from the 10mg potentiated lope. My question is, would 10mg on the night of day 2 and then each day lower the dose by 2mg finally to zero, so about 5 days and then nothing, pose any potential problem? I am hoping that is enough because I don't want to use for any longer than 5 days or any dose higher than 20mg.

Has anyone successfully detoxes from lope? I used it for 2 years after detoxing from ultram. I am now 16 days no opiates. First week was worse than ultram or oxy/ fent wd imo. Rls subsided on day 14 but legs still feel like jelly an are sore. How long can I expect this? I was on 200mg daily but did a week taper to 120mg daily and jumped to zero. Was able to sleep 9 hours last night without trazodone although it was broken sleep. Any duration info would be appreciated. I'm still so fatigued.

Sorry to hear your still having a tough time of it, MC83. It is common, after the initial WD's to subside, to still suffer from PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome), sometimes for many months afterwards. I don't see why lope would be any different...at least physically. Your body chemistry hasn't recovered; just give it some time.

There are supplements you can take that may speed up your PAWS recovery. Regardless, PAWS won't last forever.

P.S. Much congratulations for ending your addiction! Kudos! :)

In reply to scan: If you taper too quickly you can still be in WD's from your original drug. The idea of using another substance to get clean works like this. If you are addicted and can't go cold turkey you can use a drug that is cheaper, easier to get and more socially acceptable to improve your life right away. You are still on a drug but it isn't ruining your life you can function, get a job and start fixing that part. While you are on the recovery drug the first thing is to get past the normal time you would be in WD's from your drug of choice. When I used immodium to taper from heroin I got stable for a week first before I started weaning down. I started at a fairly high dose and got stable around 20mgs after a week or so. Then I began tapering. Loperamide has a fairly long half life so in the end I got down to 2mgs every other day, but it takes time. Regular acute opiate WD symptoms can take 2 weeks to a month to completely end. You can be on lope that long safely as long as you are decreasing your dose at a regular rate and trying to improve your condition the whole time. Getting out, eating right exercise and all that will help a lot. Jumping off from low dose lope is painless compared to regular WD as long as you stretch out the low dose taper in the end. Jumping off from 120mgs will hurt. Jumping off 2-4 mgs every other day is a walk in the park. Having a long taper isn't a bad thing a month or two is fine I reccomend it as long as you taper quickly at first then stay low. The real horror show is jumping off at a high dose or taking it for months and years at a time. It just depends on how much WD you can take. Good luck!

Anyway I am coming off a 3.5gram/day codeine habit (yes I know it is quite a lot, I do CWE just in case anyone is wondering). The withdrawals are fairly shit and I did notice a bit of relief from the 10mg potentiated lope. My question is, would 10mg on the night of day 2 and then each day lower the dose by 2mg finally to zero, so about 5 days and then nothing, pose any potential problem? I am hoping that is enough because I don't want to use for any longer than 5 days or any dose higher than 20mg.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing/reading somewhere that the body can't process more than 400mg of codeine at a time? How do you take 3.5g/day?? Yikes!!

IMO, your lope/codeine taper sounds sound. Like you implied, I would be worried about the codeine (morphine by then?) being shunted to the brain, possibly causing CNS troubles...

I am prescribed fentanyl, have been for four years for a severe chronic illness. I went through withdrawal once, when I ran out three days early. The withdrawal symptoms were so terrible I truly wanted to die, and have lived in fear of ever running out again.

Because I am in another state for several months, I found that I couldn't find a pharmacy to fill my triplicate prescription. I was terrified, and facing another fentanyl withdrawal, so I came here to get advice. I hardly believe it, but with a combination of Loperimide (I took 20 mg per day) and Kratom (approximately 6 grams of the red strain) I was pretty much okay. To say that this is amazing doesn't begin to cover it. The last time I went through withdrawal from fentanyl I was shaking all over, screaming in agony, throwing up, diarrhea, sweating, crying for three days. I don't feel wonderful, but I'm okay. Tired, aches, minor withdrawal symptoms.

Thank you Bluelighters...I owe you guys.