• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

MAOIs

Abject

Bluelighter
I know there's reports of Selegiline being used for potentiation
I have some Moclebemide, a RIMA. Are MAO-A inhibitors more dangerous to fuck with than MAO-B in regards to drug interactions (more specifically SNRI action)

I know taking high doses of moclebemide on it's own results in too much SERT or NET
I was thinking of taking 150mg or even 75mg (half a pill) to potentiate DXM but I don't want SS
I'm currently on 300-400mg DXM and just cracking my second bottle (600mg to play with)

What's the risk of taking 75mg Moclobemide? 600mg was my theraputic dose, I didn't notice any effects to my state of mind until about 900mg (I never bothered trying 825mg.)
It has a very short half-life (1-2 hours) since there's none of it in my system (when it builds up the h/l increases)

Why are MAO-Bs used over MAO-As? MAO-B doesn't affect (nor)epinephrine and sert only dopamine therefore there's no risk of SS?

Taking MAOIs to potentiate DXM is a good way to get killed or at least into a bad, bad situation. MAO-A's prevent the breakdown of serotonin & norepinephrine and basically cause your body to go into panic mode when you combine them with drugs that increase serotonin/NE levels.

I would think that using a RIMA for such a purpose would be the safest way to do it, but regardless, it's very stupid.

What sort of benefit would you expect from using an MAOI with DXM?

MAO-B inhibitors are used to potentiate stimulants and that's very risky. This is because MAO-B is responsible for metabolizing dopamine, meaning you end up with more dopamine. It also reduces the oxidative stress caused by stimulants.

Neither MAO-A or MAO-B inhibitors are used to potentiate DXM because it's an NMDA antagonist, not a monoamine releaser. The risks of serotonin syndrome seem exaggerated to me, but regardless there's no point to the combination- would you be trying to increase the mild effect on serotonin the drug has? I don't think that effect is responsible for any sought after subjective effect from DXM, so why potentiate it?

Learn more about why you'd combine certain drugs and what such combinations will do. This one would have negligible potential benefits and mild to moderate risks, making it pointless. Same the moclobemide for something it could actually improve, like DMT.

I was wanting to potentiate the dissociative effects, but even in that state I knew it wasn't a good idea.

This morning I took 90mg DXM and 150mg Moclobemide and didn't notice much of a difference.

MAO-A acts on both SERT and NET... if you think DXM's effect on these is mild I would like to see a reuptake inhibitor you think is extreme.
I am seeking SNRI effects, which is why I am asking about MAO-As and not MAO-Bs (B doesn't touch SERT/NET)

Moclobemide would improve mushrooms more than DMT imo (unless you're taking it orally without any other MAOI)

Guess I'll just do some reasonable titration and see how it goes.

Exactly, so if you inhibit MAO-A there will be more SERT and NET. Catalysis is still affecting transporters through keeping the NT there. No MAOI and the transporter wouldn't be there, so indirectly it does.
I never made any insinuation to transporters - or release/reuptake. Whether through MAO or the NT the result is more SERT and NET.

Sorry to those of you who didn't know this and may have misinterpreted what I said. As for the clarification, I find your comment to be paradoxical and from the get go.

Feel free to close the thread mods. I can't see myself getting any information of use and I will answer my own question through experience.

Whether through MAO or the NT the result is more SERT and NET.

you mixed up your terminology, but supposing that you mean serotonin with "SERT" and noradrenaline with "NET" (the "T" stands for transport as coolwhip has hinted to you), you still have to see that more serotonin/NA doesn't mean more eurphoria or something. SSRIs aren't by any means fun, nor are MAOIs. and by combining drugs with these two mechanisms you are treading in dangerous territorry. in the best case, you dose too low for much to happen (which you have already done) and in the worst case (which isn't at all unlikely) the result will be death. in between you will have a very unpleasant time. whatever you are trying to achieve, it doesn't work this way.

Do people get MAOI's for depression anymore? Do they have any value in treating addiction or preventing relapse?

Yeah, they still prescribe MAOIs for depression, although typically as a third line or pre-ECT level. The dietary restrictions and otherwise broad effects limit the irreversibles, and reversibles were usually found to not be as effective as irreversibles, in treatment resistant depression at least. Not sure about other factors. Not used over combos like venlafaxine and mirtazepine usually.

As for addiction, I don't quite know much except that tranylcypromine had some cases of abuse itself. The MOA doesn't seem anti-addictive in and of itself. Edit: There's also the question of how much MAO inhibitors in cigarettes increase nicotine's addictive quality. I do know someone on suboxone and tranylcypromine, but don't know the situation so that's essentially just saying things.

(On 80mg tranylcypromine myself.)

Last edited:
Was prescribed Moclobemide for depression, never took it, had my wife's GP reading the MIMS sheet for Selegiline (Selgene) and her cursor hovering on print but the mention of Parkinson's made her baulk, guess I should not have worn my bumbag LOL. Will be giving phenelzine or tranylcypromine a try if I can't get Selegiline from my psych. Most of my mates who have bothered with Moclobemide found it useless for embedded depression and saved it for DMT potentiation. Have no doubt there is a ton of people who use MAOIs with meth and are unaware of the danger.

There's no way Moclobemide is "useless" in the sense you're talking about. I got no benefit from it as far as depression goes, I even tried combining it with mirtazapine but I hate mirt to begin with so it wasn't useful either. Back on track, I took doses up to 1.8g of Moclobemide and it definitely has neurological effects. That dose was extremely unpleasant; I wanted to sleep/be still but I could not stop doing things/moving.. like the worst stimulation possible, coupled with being far away and tired.

I mixed up my terminology badly, I thought SERT was short for serotonin but I guess NET should have been enough with norepinephrine question the T. Everything I said about the transporters should be about the MAOs, I can't believe I've gone so long without realising that means the transporter :|
To explain things, I made this thread in a less logical state of mind with the question of potentiation/getting more without having more DXM
The further questioning about Moclobemide was for low dose DXM to increase SNRI effects combined with MAOI

Edit for no double post:
currently on just under 500mg DXM (i'm 94kg/205lb) so it's only 5mg/kg and 600mg moc.
I am going to titrate by 150mg until i feel effects frpm moc in .5 hour increments, will report back when sober (keeping a journal on paper for ref)

Last edited:
There's no way Moclobemide is "useless" in the sense you're talking about. I got no benefit from it as far as depression goes, I even tried combining it with mirtazapine but I hate mirt to begin with so it wasn't useful either. Back on track, I took doses up to 1.8g of Moclobemide and it definitely has neurological effects. That dose was extremely unpleasant; I wanted to sleep/be still but I could not stop doing things/moving.. like the worst stimulation possible, coupled with being far away and tired.

I mixed up my terminology badly, I thought SERT was short for serotonin but I guess NET should have been enough with norepinephrine question the T. Everything I said about the transporters should be about the MAOs, I can't believe I've gone so long without realising that means the transporter :|
To explain things, I made this thread in a less logical state of mind with the question of potentiation/getting more without having more DXM
The further questioning about Moclobemide was for low dose DXM to increase SNRI effects combined with MAOI

Edit for no double post:
currently on just under 500mg DXM (i'm 94kg/205lb) so it's only 5mg/kg and 600mg moc.
I am going to titrate by 150mg until i feel effects frpm moc in .5 hour increments, will report back when sober (keeping a journal on paper for ref)

So? How did this go? Sorry to bring back an old thread, but you know, science.