GWAR Frontman Dave ‘Oderus Urungus’ Brockie Dead at 50

foolsgold

Bluelighter
420088_4386377938792_696141217_n.jpg
It’s with great sadness that we report the death of GWAR frontman Dave ‘Oderus Urungus‘ Brockie. According to various sources, Brockie’s body was found on the evening of March 23.
No cause of death has been reported as of this posting, but a member of the Richmond Police Department claims that Brockie, 50, was found dead sometime between 3pm and 7pm on March 23.

“Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I’ve known,” former GWAR bassist Mike Bishop tells Style Weekly. “He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art.”

Bishop continues, “His penchant for scatological humors belied a lucid wit. He was a criminally underrated lyricist and hard rock vocalist, one of the best, ever! A great front man, a great painter, writer, he was also a hell of a bass guitarist. I loved him. He was capable of great empathy and had a real sense of justice.”

GWAR manager Jack Flanagan released the official statement on Brockie’s death:

It is with a saddened heart, that I confirm my dear friend Dave Brockie, artist, musician, and lead singer of GWAR passed away at approximately 6:50 PM EST Sunday March 23, 2014. His body was found Sunday by his band mate at his home in Richmond, VA. Richmond authorities have confirmed his death and next of kin has been notified. A full autopsy will be performed. He was 50 years old, born August 30, 1963.

My main focus right now is to look after my band mates and his family. More information regarding his death shall be released as the details are confirmed.

Lamb of God vocalist and fellow Richmond native Randy Blythe also confirmed Brockie’s passing in a heartfelt Instagram post:

I got a very sad call tonight from my buddy Chris Bopst, who was one of the original members of GWAR- my friend Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus, the singer of GWAR, has left the building & taken off back to his home planet. He was 50 years old. I do not know details of why he died yet, just that he passed away at home & his roommates found him. When someone dies, a lot of the time people will say “Oh, he was a unique person, really one of a kind, a true original”- most of these people no idea of what they are talking about- they obviously had never met Dave. Dave TRULY WAS ONE OF A KIND- I can’t think of ANYONE even remotely like him. That’s VERY HARD TO SAY. My band learned how to become a real touring band from GWAR- they gave us out first shot at this thing. I learned many things from Dave, many of which I am eternally grateful for, and some of which I am deeply ashamed of. I took this picture at his birthday party a few months ago- Dave kissing his Oderous birthday cake. Right now, if I were to truly honor Dave in the way HE would do it if it were ME that had died, I would make a completely tasteless joke about his death. But I do not have the stomach for that- Dave would, but not me. He never put much stock in “limits”. Richmond, VA has lost one of its most creative people. This is a crying shame to me. Thank you Brockie, for all the crazy shit you did- thank God you existed, so you could do it and I didn’t have to. It was an honor to know you, to be your Shaky Slave, to serve in the Blood Vomits along side you (let’s ride!), and to be soaked by your sweet cuttlefish. RIP Dave Brockie. Oderous, enjoy your trip back home.

We’ve had plenty of run-ins with Dave Brockie over the years, but the last time we saw him, Oderus starred in by far the greatest video we’ve ever produced. It may be hard to smile today, but in remembrance of GWAR’s leader, we’re proud to share Oderus Urungus’ hysterical reading of ‘Goodnight Moon.’

Read More: GWAR Frontman Dave 'Oderus Urungus' Brockie Dead at 50 | http://loudwire.com/gwar-dave-brockie-dead/?trackback=tsmclip

[video=youtube_share;6VP6ekEbW_4]http://youtu.be/6VP6ekEbW_4[/video]

Last edited:
[video]<script height="350px" width="630px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=6c21d43b06ee4460a29e40d9542c86ae&ec=dmazBlbDrK7KtMzrCOWrMOhJ8qT3kNWo"></script>[/video]

Breaking news on the death of GWAR frontman Dave Brockie (aka Oderus Urungus). According to a Richmond, Va. news outlet, law enforcement is currently investigating Brockie’s death as drug-related based on evidence gathered at the scene of the singer’s death.
On the evening of March 23, Brockie was found dead on a sofa in his Richmond home by a roommate. Initially, no cause of death had been announced or even speculated, but sadly, it seems that drug use may have ended Brockie’s life.
According to WTVR, since drug-related evidence was found by police, a toxicology report will be made, but it could be six weeks or more until the results are processed and made public. Brockie’s official cause of death will be determined by the state Medical Examiner.
Countless tributes have been paid for Brockie by rock and metal musicians since the singer’s death, truly showing how respected and influential Brockie was for generations of artists and metalheads alike.
Watch the video above to see WTVR’s full news report on this development.

Read More: GWAR: Dave Brockie's Death Investigated as Drug-Related | http://loudwire.com/gwar-dave-brockie-death-investigated-drug-related/?trackback=tsmclip

GWAR Issue First Official Statement on Death of Frontman Dave Brockie

GWAR1.jpg

It’s only been a few days since the passing of GWAR frontman Dave Brockie (aka Oderus Urungus) and the entire metal world is still in mourning. Many heartfelt tributes have been extended by musicians and fans, but nothing has been said by GWAR’s camp. However, GWAR have just released their first official statement commenting on Brockie’s death.
Dave Brockie, 50, was a part of GWAR since the beginning and was undoubtedly both the heart and deranged mastermind of the band. Bands such as Tool, Lamb of God and Shadows Fall, and even programs like ‘The Daily Show with Jon Stewart‘ have memorialized Brockie, but for the first time since his passing on March 23, GWAR has reached out to the public.
Issued by GWAR manager Jack Flanagan, the statement reads:
On behalf of Dave Brockie’s family, Slave Pit Inc. and GWAR, we would like to thank all the loyal fans worldwide for the outpouring of love and support shown to us over the past few days. Knowing that we have such amazing family, friends and fans is truly helping us all get through this tough time.
We are awaiting a toxicology report from the medical examiners office to confirm the cause of death. The medical examiners office has informed us that the results can take one to three months to be processed. Standard protocol exists that a toxicology procedure be performed.
We have made funeral arrangements and a private memorial has been scheduled for close friends and family.
As Dave and Oderus would have wanted, this year’s GWAR-B-Q scheduled for August 16th at Hadad’s Lake (7900 Osborne Turnpike Richmond, VA) will still take place as planned. We have scheduled the Dave Brockie public memorial to take place the day prior to the GWAR-B-Q, Friday August 15th, also at Hadad’s Lake.
More information shall be released as the details are confirmed.
Those of you who were looking forward to this year’s GWAR-B-Q, you’ll not only be able to still attend the event, but you can pay tribute to Brockie in GWAR’s home town.

Read More: GWAR Issue First Official Statement on Death of Dave Brockie | http://loudwire.com/gwar-official-statement-death-dave-brockie/?trackback=tsmclip

GWAR Vocalist Dave Brockie’s Cause of Death Ruled as Accidental Heroin Overdose

lioo.jpg

On March 23, we lost GWAR vocalist and mastermind Dave Brockie, who performed as the character of Oderus Urungus for over 30 years. Brockie’s death was thought to be drug-related due to evidence found at the scene of his death, and unfortunately, it’s just been confirmed that he died from an accidental heroin overdose.
The news was reported by CBS 6 in Richmond, Va., earlier today (June 3). According to Virginia’s State Medical Examiner’s Office, Brockie died from acute heroin toxicity by accidental means. He was found unresponsive in his North Richmond home by a roommate.
Friends of the metal veteran told CBS 6 that they had been worried about Brockie’s behavior and “suspected his known penchant for marijuana smoking and partying had taken a bad turn.” CBS, however did not post any quotes and did not specify how long Brockie had been using heroin.
Dave Brockie’s death occurred shortly after GWAR had announced the fifth annual GWAR-B-Q, an event that Brockie had hoped would become one of America’s biggest yearly rock and metal festivals. Despite Brockie’s passing, the GWAR-B-Q will go on as scheduled and GWAR will perform with Mike Bishop, who was the first to take on the character of Beefcake the Mighty, on vocals. Additionally, a public funeral will be held for Brockie on Aug. 15, the day before this year’s GWAR-B-Q.

Read More: Gwar Frontman Dave Brockie's Cause of Death: Heroin Overdose | http://loudwire.com/gwar-dave-brock...ailthru&utm_medium=referral&trackback=tsmclip

So that's why bluelight is black today. I loved GWAR in college, and the music never got old. GWAR was something to look forward to and added something comedic to my otherwise dry and studious college life. I had a couple of friends in Richmond who were very temporarily in the band with them. I even went to a some of their parties in the Fan (if i ercall the name of the neighborhood in richmond near VCU) where they were. They were all older than me, but still, fun times.

I also appreciated Brockie's scatalogical humor. Anybody, for example, who can build a Crapapult and fling poo into an audience during a show is a toilet humor genius.

Not only was the physical comedy brilliant, but the lyrics were first rate as well.

Last edited: