Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Old Social Forum Guidelines

Tarsarlan

Bluelighter
These guidelines have been drawn up by your friendly moderators so that everyone understands what is and what is not acceptible as far as posting in the Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Social forum is concerned.
Hopefully these guidelines will prevent this forum from getting out of control as it did when it was first introduced.
1) Threads must stay on topic.
The topic of the thread is clearly stated in the Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Social forum page. This topic, which should be elaborated upon in the topic starter's first post, is generally what the subject of the discussion should be. Please make sure that what you add to the thread is valid, and please make an effort to keep the thread on topic. If there is something important you forgot to add, just click the edit button to add more to your post.
2) Do not post multiple threads on the same topic.
If there is already a thread running which is on the topic of something you want to post about, use the same thread! If you're not going to go completely off topic, don't start a new thread. For example, any threads about reviews of a recent party are also good for posting photos in, there's no need for a new thread.
3) This is not a chat site.
Though it is tempting to be social, chat cannot be accepted. Too many people are making personal posts which only bear relevance to one or two other people. That's what email and ICQ is for. To a small extent it will be tolerated, but its in the interests of all Bluelighters, particularly those who have just joined Bluelight that we leave chat out.
4) Keep posts simple.
It might look cool to you, but excessive html can be quite annoying to other people. Please try to keep html to a minimum.
On a similar note, if you want to use colours, make sure they add to the post and are not simply an eyesore. If it gets over the top, sadly html will have to be banned in this forum. This goes for smilies too, don't over-use them.
And so what's acceptable in this forum? Well basically anything that is inoffensive and above a certain level of maturity. An example of something which is below the acceptable level of maturity is the <a href=http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum29/HTML/000072.html>Mu(x)ke vs Piglet</a> thread, although that thread is under heritage protection and will not be closed.
As long as it's not something which you know people may find offensive, and it's something people can actually contribute to, then it will be acceptible.
No personal attacks on other bluelighters or flame wars are acceptible.
This forum is for everyone and everyone should be made to feel they are welcome.
Now here's a few other things to keep in mind:
As everyone should be aware, the server is under a huge load and isn't holding up too well, and while I'm sure most of you are doing what you can to not make it any worse, there are still too many who are forgetting a few things and quite a few of you who are new and just don't know, so I'm going to go over a few points which I want everyone to read and understand...
  • When you hit the submit button to post a message, consider it posted regardless of what comes up next...
    So if it comes up with some weird error message, your message has been posted. Even if you check the thread and you don't see your message, it is there... You might have to wait 6-24hrs to see it, but it is there...
    If you don't see it after 24hrs, add another reply with "test" or something. The missing reply will pop up. You can then delete the "test" message. And who knows, someone else may rescue your message with a reply before you do.
    Waiting 6 hours is better for traffic than repeating three or four duplicates immediately.
    So if you get a piss-off message from your browser, the chances are the message got there. Check the reply counter.
  • Check the thread after you post and delete any multiple posts... Even if you hit submit once, just check the thread to make sure only one post has appeared... If there are more than one, delete the rest...
  • Use the back button, don't refresh! Or even better, open the forum thread listing in a new window and leave it alone until you've read all the threads you want to
  • Don't repeatedly refresh every five minutes! If you're a bluelight addict like me, find something else to calm your nerves while you wait for people to post, don't just keep refreshing the thread listings...
I've prolly forgotten a few things so feel free to add to the list if you have any suggestions...
[This message has been edited by Tarsarlan (edited 05 May 2001).]
[ Edit: changed the title to say "Old" cos they're out of date ]
[ 27 May 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

Mr. Horse's post on Internet Etiquette is important where the use of the internet is concerned as a whole, but it is also of relevance to the guidelines of the social forum, so here it is once again, but this time it will be taken seriously
The internet has been around for quite a while now, and for years people have been hiding behind their computers. See, we can all be superheros, 8 year old girls or 50 year old men. We never have to deal with confrontation on the net, and if we choose, we dont even have to know what they look like.
We create our own community within our computer, living our lives through chat rooms or message board sites, such as bluelight. While this can be great, there is an ugly side which cant be ignored; this is, lacking in basic human confrontation skills. We all may not be the most confident people in the world, but I would like to think we can deal with sticky situations in an appriate manner.
Just think: before you post that email to your girlfriend/boyfriend after she has treated you badly (yes, i'm a culprit) take a minute to reflect. What am I saying in this email that cant be said face to face? SMS's are the same. Its very easy to get angry at someone without actually dealing with them. This is why flame wars become so intense and full on, a lot of people cant deal with confrontation properly, thus when they get infront of a computer, they are invincible to the world. This is something only individuals can deal with, but in the mean time, take the time to read over this and think before you post mmmkay?
There is nothing we can do to change the anonymity of the internet and bluelight, but there are a few things we can do to help avoid ugly situations such as the recent flame wars that have been happening.
Firstly, respect that not everyone will have the same opinion as you. Yes, you may not agree with it, but respect their opinion, just as you would hope yours would be.
Secondly, personal grudges are petty and juvinial ok? There is no need for mindless flaming just because you have a hatred for the person. Please keep all personal attacks to email and icq, or by whichever means you feel fit, just keep it off bluelight.
Thirdly, dont EVER forget that the internet has no tone!! The difference between putting a little winking face after your comment can be the difference between a friendly poke and the begginings of a flame war.
And lastly, please dont EVER take anything too seriously. Perhaps we have had a bad day (hey, it happens you know!!) and we let something slip we perhaps shouldnt, please dont get too defensive about it. Take it with a grain of salt.
Thankyou for taking the time to read this, and I hope you will consider what I have said. Please dont ever be afraid to email me and tell either myself, haste, tarsarlan, mona, entropope, Its Chaos and johnboy about any converns you may have regarding bluelight. We are here to serve you dont forget.
Anything you feel needs to be added, please reply. Cheers - Horse

[This message has been edited by Tarsarlan (edited 18 October 2000).]

this is all very reasonable...
except the bit bout overuse of smileys.. what's overuse? i like smileys!
smile.gif
they're happy!
smile.gif

smilez =)
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by atomica (edited 18 October 2000).]

Maybe you should put this at the top the forum like in the meetups forum?
Just a suggestion...
***runs and hides***

Well said Tarsarlan and also big props to Mr.Horse's orginal post
smile.gif

------------------
"Well, me don't swim too tough so me don't go in the water too deep."-July, 1975 Bob Marley

Psyentist: Shut up!
Decimal Dan: We're planning on doing that... It's here till we can get that organised

Agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed
------------------
And thats the Bottom Line.

nicely said, though i am guilty as charged on the smiles. but their soooo fun.
smile.gif

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Pharmacy, 21st October @ the Capsule
Mrs. Wood (UK) Jason Midro Ajax vs Krash Rudeboy Tom Campbell
[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 18 October 2000).]

hiya, just got home so didnt have a chance to write anything yet ..... sounds good guys .. and atomica, i like smileys too!
smile.gif

------------------
~peace out~

Ok here's the deal. I promise to be good.
I won't use BL as a chat thing.
I won't use too many colours, and I won't put too many smiley faces up ok.
------------------
Curiosity killed the duck

Good. Well I hope everyone likes what we put together. If you dont like it..? uhh.. complain to horsey or something. He loves dealing with everyones problems.
hehehehehehh
(note for the horsey : come on man, we're both mofos here now, thanks to one of the admins.. notice the real reason i added this message was to BuMpTheFukkerUp)
rotcol.gif

[This message has been edited by MíkeySåmmy (edited 18 October 2000).]

Once again - Yup
------------------
Its all about the Electronic Acupuncture - Darth Maul Style

can I please ask that you guys read the current guidelines and let us know in this thread whether or not you agree with them.

Mikey: Mate, i know where your coming from, however, to the mods in the social forum, guys, isn't it a little late to be telling people how to post here? This forum now has a life of its own and I know you've all tried your hardest to bring about guidelines but honestly, let people post whatever they like, they do anyway, just make sure no-ones too offended or flamed outrageously and leave it there. Trust me, it aint worth the grief.
------------------
~peace out~

Yes these guidelines do still apply... We've been slack in enforcing them, but with the server in its current state there's gonna be some enforcing going on now...